Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Don Nordin
Dojo: Aikibudokan Houston TX
United_States
Budo and Aikido

Yesterday's Steven Seagal thread got me to thinking a bit. Budo as I understand it about honor, loyalty and devotion. Aikido is a martial art that focuses on defense. However Japanese martial arts in general seem to have a strong emphasis on concepts of Budo. Based on the above I would say a person can become quite proficent in mastering the techiques of Aikido, but he may not have a concept of Budo at all.
So do you think one can truely be an Aikido master if they have not grasped the concept of Budo.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Budo and Aikido

Don,

What are you using to differentiate the two concepts? I consider them quite linked.

In regard to your statement about budo vs. aikido as something you deem a defensive art: I belive the kanji for 'bu' is a foot breaking the shaft of a spear....at least that is what I remember.

I would hope someone who calls themself master, grasps the concept of budo. I find my training is more fulfilling when it includes emphasis on 'martial' aspect of the art. By that I don't mean tearing at people's joints and being violent so much as displaying a seriousness to training, having a high level of spirit and energy, and having some element of risk in order to facilitate personal growth and overcome obstacles. With that, I feel it important to understand how aikido 'mat training' translates into everyday life, since that is where I spend most of my time.

My best to your training and the fine people of H-Town!

Osu!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Don Nordin
United_States
Re: Bushido and Aikido

Thanks Adam,

What you say is correct..
I should have stated Bushido rather than Budo. Bushido being the code of conduct that the Samurai lived by.
Thank you for the correction.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Don Nordin wrote: View Post
Thanks Adam,

What you say is correct..
I should have stated Bushido rather than Budo. Bushido being the code of conduct that the Samurai lived by.
Thank you for the correction.
http://www.koryu.com/library/kfriday2.html

Best,

Chris

Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Thanks for the link, Chris.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
ryback

Quote:
Yesterday's Steven Seagal thread got me to thinking a bit. Budo as I understand it about honor, loyalty and devotion. Aikido is a martial art that focuses on defense. However Japanese martial arts in general seem to have a strong emphasis on concepts of Budo. Based on the above I would say a person can become quite proficent in mastering the techiques of Aikido, but he may not have a concept of Budo at all.
So do you think one can truely be an Aikido master if they have not grasped the concept of Budo.
Budo is in fact the way of the warrior,so in my opinion martial arts and Budo are one and the same.The concept of honor,loyalty and devotion are a part of this on the mats as much as off the mats,because i don't think that anyone could learn the technical aspect of Aikido to a master's level without understanding the depth of the art.Many Aikidoka "leave their Aikido hanging" in their dressing room next to their Gi after the lesson,nevertheless i don't think that can be the case with a true master of the art.As for Steven Seagal sensei,i don't know him personaly so i can only judge him by his technique.Thus, my only judgement can be:"who am i to judge him".To my eyes seems like a true master of Aikido with a deep knowledge of the protocols and the code and also fighting skills beyond rankings that make him a true warrior.Therefore to my mind and in my opinion he personifies Budo.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Thanks Adam,
Don,

no intention to correct anyone! I assume this forum is a place for people of different experiences to share their unique ideas and thoughts with each other...not a place for people to instruct and correct, and point out other's deficiencies. I think that is how a lot of bickering happens....

So please take anything I say as simply my opinion. I have noticed many people who train, do so with a limited amount of seriousness, have limited martial aspects to their training, and do not apply what they learn outside of the dojo...even in my own school. People can train for whatever reason they want. My training affects every part of my life, and I feel that separating the martial aspect of aikido is not possible for me....hence my response to budo being not a thing considered by a master seems off, to me at least.

I see you meant to say Bushido, which makes sense. I am not too familiar with that concept, other than its historical connotation and generic definition as a code of conduct of the samurai class, which was eventually written into feudal law, whose tenets are sometimes represented symbolically by the pleats of a hakama. I really know little of the subject of bushido, though.

Last edited by akiy : 07-18-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
dps

Bushido is a mental discipline.

Aikido is a physical discipline.

You can do either one or both.

dps
Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Don Nordin
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Bushido is a mental discipline.

Aikido is a physical discipline.

You can do either one or both.

dps
That was precisley my question.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Cliff Judge
Japan

Bushido should be something that people study to see how the very best qualities of a people can be turned towards the most wicked and despicable ends. It is baggage that should be discarded.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Don Nordin
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Bushido should be something that people study to see how the very best qualities of a people can be turned towards the most wicked and despicable ends. It is baggage that should be discarded.
Care to elaborate? From my perpective, the tenents of Bushido are goals that are difficult if not impossible to live by 24/7, but they are good to remeber and keep in mind. I think people are imperfect, and concepts like Bushido remind us of that.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Care to elaborate? From my perpective, the tenents of Bushido are goals that are difficult if not impossible to live by 24/7, but they are good to remeber and keep in mind. I think people are imperfect, and concepts like Bushido remind us of that.
Big-B Bushido was part of the social engineering that the industrialists used to turn Japan into a war machine and turn her loose to "liberate" Asia.

It is all about reaching into a society's cherished, romantic notions of a past where it was believed that warriors became strong in order to maintain justice and protect the weak and asked for nothing in return, and taking these notions and using them to convince the people of Japan that their goal of conquest of all of Asia was a good and noble thing to do.

There's really not much else to the concept of Bushido than that historically.

This sets aside the notion of a little-b bushido, which of course can be anything you want.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
Cliff Judge
Japan

Meh.

I totally feel like a jerk for bringing that up in a way that makes it look like I am accusing you of being a sucker or a bad person for picking an innocent-seeming code of ethics and sticking to it. Sorry. There's just been a lot of very bad things done in the name of that code, things that are at odds to what I believe the true spirit of the warrior is. So its just my opinion.

(FYI I am aware that actual bushi were seldom particularly nice people and did plenty of horrendous things in Korea, and also that O Sensei enjoyed the patronage of war criminals. There's just something about the scale and level of cynicism of the social architects of 20th century Imperial Japan that I've never been able to sit quietly with.)

Last edited by Cliff Judge : 07-21-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Meh.

I totally feel like a jerk for bringing that up in a way that makes it look like I am accusing you of being a sucker or a bad person for picking an innocent-seeming code of ethics and sticking to it. Sorry. There's just been a lot of very bad things done in the name of that code, things that are at odds to what I believe the true spirit of the warrior is. So its just my opinion.
I understand you are not putting down the OP but also want you to know that you are not the only one who thinks that way about the actual ramifications of Bushido.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Hi Don,

If you're interested in digging deeper...

BUSHIDO: THE CREATION OF A MARTIAL ETHIC IN LATE MEIJI JAPAN

Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Meh.

True, but you could say much the same thing about "Christianity", "Buddhism", "Democracy" or just about any other belief system you could name.

What's more relevant, IMO, is that such a coherent code of ethics never really existed in historic Japan, it's more of a modern creation and myth.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Dear all,
For anyone wishing to search for information on Bushido may I suggest you refer to Wikipedia?The basic concept is based on chivalry , honour etc.
Of course like anything else eg Religions, political systems etcthere can be and has been terrible things done in the name of the aforementioned.
On the question of O Sensei being in the company of war criminals I would say that had the Japanese won the war in the Pacific, these men would probably be recognised as heroes.The winner of any war determines who is a war criminal/hero.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear all,
For anyone wishing to search for information on Bushido may I suggest you refer to Wikipedia?
Wikipedia is for bunnies.

A true scotsman reads scholarly books and doctoral thesis.

Quote:
On the question of O Sensei being in the company of war criminals I would say that had the Japanese won the war in the Pacific, these men would probably be recognised as heroes.The winner of any war determines who is a war criminal/hero.
But they lost. Therefore they were doing things wrong.

Cheers.

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 07-21-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Dear all,
For anyone wishing to search for information on Bushido may I suggest you refer to Wikipedia?The basic concept is based on chivalry , honour etc.
Of course like anything else eg Religions, political systems etcthere can be and has been terrible things done in the name of the aforementioned.
Cheers, Joe.
Do make sure you read the discussion page on Wikipedia, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
But they lost. Therefore they were doing things wrong.

Cheers.
Yes: but that's a completely arbitrary claim, as Joe said.

'If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged.'

- Noam Chomsky
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Lazy and thoughtless. It's an ongoing debate in the west whether the bombers of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki are war criminals.

The losers write history books, and not all the winner's history books are laudatory. Not everything is relative.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
DH
United_States

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Yes: but that's a completely arbitrary claim, as Joe said.

'If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged.'

- Noam Chomsky
Sure...the Germans practicing genocide is equal to the Americans.
The Japanese practicing bayonet and stabbing men and leaving them hanging up to slowly drown and wail all night in their own blood is the same as the Americans
The Khmer rouge killing millions of men women and children is the same as the Americans
Everyone gets an "A" again, huh Graham?
Everyone is equal.
The Japanese started the war. I know a Japanese fellow who lost his extended family in Nagasaki and thinks the Bomb is the smartest thing we ever did to end it. It saved millions of lives on both sides.
On the whole I'll take Americas budo any day wharts and all over much of what I have seen. I just wish we stopped all outside action, war, money, charity, support, everything..and just left and concentrated on ourselves,

Last edited by DH : 07-21-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #23
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Lazy and thoughtless. It's an ongoing debate in the west whether the bombers of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki are war criminals.

The losers write history books, and not all the winner's history books are laudatory. Not everything is relative.
It might be debated in certain circles, but it'll never gain widespread acceptance as it would contradict the narrative of those in power; plus, nobody will ever be prosecuted by the authorities - given that these same authorities instructed them to do what they did.

Of course the history books of those who have inherited power are all laudatory - that's why these people are commemorated; parades are held; etc.
Sure: people like Chomsky raise valid objections - but these are outsider voices. People in the UK hate Tony Blair, and regard him as a war criminal - but no warrant has been issued for his arrest.
US forces continue to commit war crimes as we speak - but does anyone dare speak out against them?

What Joe was talking about was the prevalent attitude in a society: that of The People - not the opinion of those who think, and are righteous; so his opinion was anything but lazy and thoughtless.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Sure...the Germans practicing genocide is equal to the Americans.
The Japanese practicing bayonet and stabbing men and leaving them hanging up to slowly drown and wail all night in their own blood is the same as the Americans
The Khmer rouge killing millions of men women and children is the same as the Americans
Everyone gets an "A" again, huh Graham?
Everyone is equal.
The Japanese started the war. I know a Japanese fellow who lost his extended family in Nagasaki and thinks the Bomb is the smartest thing we ever did to end it. It saved millions of lives on both sides.
On the whole I'll take Americas budo any day wharts and all over much of what I have seen. I just wish we stopped all outside action, war, money, charity, support, everything..and just left and concentrated on ourselves,
'The Nixon- Kissinger bombing of Cambodia in the
early '70s was not all that different from the
Khmer Rouge atrocities, in scale somewhat less,
but not much less.'

'So like bombing of urban concentrations was not considered a war crime because we had done more of it than the Germans and the Japanese. So that wasn 't a war crime . You want to turn Tokyo into rubble? So much rubble you can' t even drop an atom bomb there because nobody will see anything if you do , which is the real reason they didn' t bomb Tokyo. That' s not a war crime because we did it.'

www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm

The Japanese started the war? An interesting debate...there were events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbour, of course.

Whether the personal preference of one Japanese man constitutes a cast-iron case, i'd say is doubtful; as is the claim that murdering innocent men, women, and children in their tens of thousands (including, of course, those who died as slow, painful deaths, as the victims of the Japanese army did, but as a result of radiation sickness/cancer) was the most appropriate means of ending the war, as opposed to starting another one.

The case of the Contras - a US-backed group of militants who reportedly slit open the bellies of pregnant women etc.- might be of interest when comparing US and 1940s era Japanese atrocities.
I'll leave any discussion of Israel.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #25
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post

Dear Hugh,
Thank you for your very constructive criticism of my blog.
In my original blog I could have pointed out that it was an American president who sanctioned not just one atom bomb but two on the Japanese.Perhaps the Japanese were be used as test fire dummies?Was the then President/scientists war criminals or heroes?Was Churchill right in reducing Dresden to dust?If the other side in the conflict had won, would thse guys be in the dock on crimes against humanity?Pure speculation of course .
I could also mention the humanitarian work done by Bush/Blair in the invasion of Iraq.How many Iraqis civilian have died there?Blair[Bliar] is considered to be a war criminal by many in the U.K.
Lets not forget Viet Nam, the massacre of a village by American troop [a Mr Calley?]. The use of napalm, agent orange .
Of course the Japanese certainly committed terrible acts during the war but I dont think the West come up smelling of roses either.
As Robert Burns the poet states 'Mans inhumanity to man makes countless millions mourn'.
Cheers, Joe.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!