Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #26
Elldav
Dojo: Melbourne Aikido
Australia
Re: Injured rib

I tore the cartilage between ribs last year due to whooping cough (or so the GP thought) - I recall that was about 3-4 weeks of quite intense pain at times and then it slowly subsided over another 4 weeks. I kept doing aikido but did not take ukemi as there were quite specific moves that were painful (backfalls) while the rest were ok. I think I was a bit lucky as we were doing an intense period of training with the bokken which did not bother the injury.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
Thinking back about the conversation I had with my doctor, I think you are right that mentioning breakfalls like judo did not sufficiently convey information to my doctor about my normal activities. I could go back to her in a couple of weeks and show her some youtube clips when I ask her advice on further healing time before resuming that kind of activity.
Dave

I could go back to her in a couple of weeks and show her some youtube clips

Are you private ? In the UK - the time you have with the doctor does not allow time to shut the door on the way in or out

Henry Ellis
Aikido Controversy
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #28
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Dave

I could go back to her in a couple of weeks and show her some youtube clips

Are you private ? In the UK - the time you have with the doctor does not allow time to shut the door on the way in or out

Henry Ellis
Aikido Controversy
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
In the Netherlands consulting ones GP "home" doctor is covered by general obligatory health insurance. I'm not aware of time limits for these consulations but the few times I have consulted my doctor we spent about 15 minutes and I did not feel rushed by her at all. She just takes the time neccessary. If I show here some short clips it should take only a few minutes. I think it won't be a problem.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 04-03-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #29
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Today I went to see a physiotherapist who also happens to be one of my aikido teachers. When I was watching last tuesday he said he may be able to speed up the healing process by therapy.

Before therapy he asked me a about this injury and other small aches and ailments I have. He thinks my connective tissues seem to be a bit prone to injury. He tested my mobility and everything seems ok. That did not hurt at all. Only activities that strain that rib hurt (besides a dull constant pain when my painkiller wears off).

He also noticed that two other ribs in my upper chest are thickened and asked me if I had ever had Tietze's syndrom (costochronditis). I vaguely remember that these thickenings originated long ago. It was painful and if I remember well it was triggered by overstraining myself (prolonged and vigorously raking fallen leaves from our lawn or something like that).

He did not state my current injury might also be costochronditis, but after therapy I looked it up. Putting everything together I think it's likely that I have acute costochronditis, triggered by a number of strikes on that spot.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 04-08-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #30
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

A quick update.

Resumed training carefully about two weeks ago. Since about one week my rib feels fully normal again, also in training.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Glad to hear you've mended!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #32
lbb
United_States

Congrats on a successful repair, Dave.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Last friday I injured my rib (not during aikido training). I don't know if it's broken or bruised but it probably does not really matter much either way.

It was not that bad in the weekend. Only deep breathing and coughing hurt. So last tuesday I went to aikido training. I informed my sensei before training about my injury and he was ok with me training for as long as I felt comfortable. I was taking it easy, but breakfalls started to hurt more and more in the course of the training. After an hour I excused myself.

The days after it hurt more than before, so I started to take some painkillers and I skipped training on thursday. Today I went to see my GP doctor and she prescibed painkillers (ibuprofen and paracetamol).

I want to resume training as soon as possible, but I've been reading up about rib injuries and in general the message seems to be that it probably takes about two months to heal. I've only skipped one lesson before this and I can't bear the thought of having to skip 16 lessons!

Does it take that long to heal enough for resuming training aikido? Did anyone resume training sooner (with painkillers perhaps?) Did you regret it?
Dear Dave,
Stupid boy!! The foolishness of youth!! Get yourself fit again before you do yourself more damage.Go to the dojo , observe the classes , train your eyes.An injury gives you the opportunity to train more than your body.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #34
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Dave,
Stupid boy!! The foolishness of youth!! Get yourself fit again before you do yourself more damage.Go to the dojo , observe the classes , train your eyes.An injury gives you the opportunity to train more than your body.
Cheers, Joe.
My injury happened on the 25th of march. Instead of skipping classes I have been going to the dojo to watch and indeed that was training too. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to heal enough to carefully train parts of a class. After 5 weeks it was fully healed.

I am not that young by the way(41). That doesn't protect me from being foolish though!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
My injury happened on the 25th of march. Instead of skipping classes I have been going to the dojo to watch and indeed that was training too. It took about 3 to 4 weeks to heal enough to carefully train parts of a class. After 5 weeks it was fully healed.

I am not that young by the way(41). That doesn't protect me from being foolish though!
Dear Dave,
At 41 you are a mere youngster.Wish I was 41 .Injuries get harder to heal when your 72[ young in outlook].
Cheers, Joe.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!