Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #201
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
The technology is already here, Graham.

It's called "solar energy."

It converts radiation from the big reactor in the sky into electricity, through "photovoltaic" cells. It converts solar radiation into heat to warm water, air, food and other things. It can melt steel and it can cook food.

That's the only kind of radiation we should be using on earth.

Thank you.

David
Thanks for the reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNqL-1VrcE

The video here is to do with what I was talking about. My writing inspired me to remember the technology which is plasma technology. (I know it has nothing to do with radiation)

Is solar energy radiation? (excuse my ignorance) If so doesn't that lead to the thought that if we or indeed plants can use it and transform it the the technology is somewhere there staring us in the face?

Given from an open minded yet unaware scientifically me.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #202
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
Location: Birmingham, AL
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,511
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Granted David. However that is after the event. If you think my idea through and put people like yourself on the body in charge of making as sure as possible that no leaks or catastrophes would happen then possibly that is the wy foreward.
And the only way of making as sure as possible that no leaks or catastrophes would happen is to not build nuclear power plants in the first place.

I was a bit optimistic about sodium fast reactors, but from what I've seen on the sodium reactor experiment at Santa Susana Field Laboratory, sodium presents serious problems as well.

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.co...vering-up.html

Accidents and explosions can occur in almost any industrial setting. When uranium shares that setting, the dangers are exponentially greater.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #203
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
The scene we live in is called democracy.
Graham,

I know you mean well but that statement is so far removed from reality it's mind-boggling. It's hard to imagine such a disconnected bubble of perception can exist today. If you want to learn the basic meat and potatoes of global politics and economics I suggest you start with Bill Still's three and a half hour documentary on the history of banking. I was lucky to have had some great teachers in public high school who taught me what's in that documentary before the Internet age.

Quote:
My basic premise is this: If you come up with a truly wise and harmonious solution then you can present it and move mountains.

Regards.G.
True optimism can only be born when the utter despair of our present reality is fully embraced. Charles Eisenstein offers real solutions in Ascent Of Humanity based in and with respect to reality - true Aikido.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #204
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
And the only way of making as sure as possible that no leaks or catastrophes would happen is to not build nuclear power plants in the first place.

I was a bit optimistic about sodium fast reactors, but from what I've seen on the sodium reactor experiment at Santa Susana Field Laboratory, sodium presents serious problems as well.

http://georgewashington2.blogspot.co...vering-up.html

Accidents and explosions can occur in almost any industrial setting. When uranium shares that setting, the dangers are exponentially greater.

David
David. What do you think about the plasma technology?

Back to the topic at hand. I may conclude along with you and others that there is only one solution and that is for there to be no nuclear plants at all.

The videos and data about what has happened and what has been covered up and the effects of such is useful information. Being into wholistic medicine I tend to notice certain trends and increases in various illnesses which fit with what these people are saying.

As an aside here I'm sure I read somewhere in one of the references on this thread how one effect of radiation is the introduction of free radicals into the body which may even take ten years to then cause a dramatic loss of health.(anytime up to) I mention this as I feel you may be interested therefore in it from a nutritional point of view. Nutritionally speaking a substance used for many years to handle free radicals in the body as well as being a good antioxidant is a substance called s.o.d.(superoxide dismutase) You may like to look it up.

Anyway, back to topic. Agreeing with you is not a problem. However taking human kind into account and the economic world and selfish mindset of humanity on the whole then getting rid of I see as almost impossible as finding a better solution to.

Can you imagine the powers that be getting rid of nuclear bombs and losing all that 'power'? Held in delusions of power by their own fear of what others might do to them and thus apparently trapped by their own ignorance. No, reality tells me they will not get rid of but there is an urgent need to come up with better solutions which are acceptable to all.

Just and only focussing on what is wrong is not enough.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #205
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
What do you think about the plasma technology?
Regards.G.
Graham,

Star Trek will not eliminate all the toxic junk we've made out of fossil fuels. It's hubristic to think technology can dominate and control nature at will. That's why we're in this mess, people thought they were separate and better than nature.

Here's a solution based in nature(reality):

Paul Stamets
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #206
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Graham,

I know you mean well but that statement is so far removed from reality it's mind-boggling. It's hard to imagine such a disconnected bubble of perception can exist today. If you want to learn the basic meat and potatoes of global politics and economics I suggest you start with Bill Still's three and a half hour documentary on the history of banking. I was lucky to have had some great teachers in public high school who taught me what's in that documentary before the Internet age.

True optimism can only be born when the utter despair of our present reality is fully embraced. Charles Eisenstein offers real solutions in Ascent Of Humanity based in and with respect to reality - true Aikido.
Tenyu. We do live in a structure where the people can, if inspired, get together on topic of concern and vote for only those polititions who agree to make it policy. It is no bubble. It is not democracy that is at fault here, although it could be vastly improved, it is peoples view that they give up and believe there is nothing they can do and thus resort to raging and violence.

Blame spin, blame corruption, blame ignorance, but by blaming democracy even in its current form is self destructive.

You bring Aikido into the equasion? O.K. Then so will I. Aikido is Harmony with the universe. It is therefore all powerful of itself. True wisdom is the same.

The problem with us as human beings is that unless we become enlightened or at least much more aware we will keep coming up with crazy solutions which we justify as logical.

There is always a solution to all problems that is both harmonious and perfect for all concerned. The fact we cannot see it is only a measure of our own lack of wisdom. There is no blame in wisdom only eurika!

Aikido in the field of thought.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #207
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Graham,

Star Trek will not eliminate all the toxic junk we've made out of fossil fuels. It's hubristic to think technology can dominate and control nature at will. That's why we're in this mess, people thought they were separate and better than nature.

Here's a solution based in nature(reality):

Paul Stamets
Tenyu. You need to stop putting your projections on others. I do not advocate dominating and controlling nature. Working with it is from where my I come.

I just looked at the beginning of that video and will return to it as it looks very informative and interesting. You probably have many interesting sources of information and I suggest many folks may well like them and learn from them if you can work on your presentation.

For you, for others on this forum, I have only admiration for that is part of Aikido.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #208
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

What's "nature"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #209
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
What's "nature"?
This question is thoroughly answered throughout the book Ascent Of Humanity. You and Graham would enjoy reading it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #210
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
This question is thoroughly answered throughout the book Ascent Of Humanity. You and Graham would enjoy reading it.
Tenyu.
Thanks for the book reference, I just had aquick scan of the contents and decided that will be interesting reading.

I did actually choose a part of it also just to see the style of writing and to get a flavour. I saw you use it at part of your way of thinking after reading the first few lines. The part was from affluence to anxiety.

Interesting except I wouldn't say I agree with the boredom/anxiety relationship. I would call it rather apathy/anxiety for boredom in fact is a much higher emotion or wavelength. In fact let me tell you a little secret. Do you know what happens when you move someone out of apathy?

They get angry.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #211
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Graham,

I don't know what you're referring to with apathy but maybe it's a semantic issue. If you actually do read the book, I recommend reading it in order because he refers back to earlier topics which may not be understood out of context. The book is so important for Aikido I've made it the first one in Aikibodo's curriculum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #212
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 724
United_States
Online
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Japan Nuclear Plant to Release Contaminated Water Into Ocean

Full text of the article here:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...119169659.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #213
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
This question is thoroughly answered throughout the book Ascent Of Humanity. You and Graham would enjoy reading it.
Having perused a few chapters online, I don't think I would, in fact -- but that's beside the point. If the term "nature" is being bandied about in conversation, those doing the bandying should be able to provide a concise definition of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #214
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Having perused a few chapters online, I don't think I would, in fact -- but that's beside the point. If the term "nature" is being bandied about in conversation, those doing the bandying should be able to provide a concise definition of it.
You know what nature is. What don't you like about what you've read so far?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #215
Walter Martindale
Location: Cambridge, ON
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 712
Canada
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
You know what nature is. What don't you like about what you've read so far?
I think that what Mary might be asking is for YOU to state what you understand "nature" to be, briefly, in your words, and in plain English that an average 8-year-old could understand. If you can do that, you demonstrate not only your understanding of your subject, but you demonstrate your ability to teach/explain.

When you provide a citation and require that the other side of a conversation go and invest time and energy in reading something that they would otherwise not have read, what you do is imply your superiority without actually demonstrating it, or you show that you have lots of spare time to spend searching for all these links and arguing your point on an internet forum..

It may require more work from you than plunking a link into your commentary. To explain something complicated in a way that an 8-year-old can understand is a skill that not everyone possesses.

W
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #216
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
You know what nature is.
Irrelevant. Graham made statements about "nature"; I want to know what he thinks "nature" is.

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
What don't you like about what you've read so far?
It just doesn't engage me. You love the book, I don't love it...chacun a son gout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #217
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Irrelevant. Graham made statements about "nature"; I want to know what he thinks "nature" is.

It just doesn't engage me. You love the book, I don't love it...chacun a son gout.
Mary. Did I? I don't usually use that term.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #218
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
I think that what Mary might be asking is for YOU to state what you understand "nature" to be, briefly, in your words, and in plain English that an average 8-year-old could understand. If you can do that, you demonstrate not only your understanding of your subject, but you demonstrate your ability to teach/explain.

When you provide a citation and require that the other side of a conversation go and invest time and energy in reading something that they would otherwise not have read, what you do is imply your superiority without actually demonstrating it, or you show that you have lots of spare time to spend searching for all these links and arguing your point on an internet forum..

It may require more work from you than plunking a link into your commentary. To explain something complicated in a way that an 8-year-old can understand is a skill that not everyone possesses.

W
Walter

Mary's not an 8 year old. She's an adult capable of learning on her own. I'm giving her the resources to do so if she wants. I'm very willing ‘to teach' anyone within reason on topics that aren't available elsewhere, but that's not the case here. What I have to share that's unique is my experience with martial arts which I've posted quite a bit of already. If you have questions specific to Aikido or Aikibodo technique then feel free to ask me in another thread.

What does superiority have anything to do with experience or knowledge?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #219
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Graham,

I don't know what you're referring to with apathy but maybe it's a semantic issue. If you actually do read the book, I recommend reading it in order because he refers back to earlier topics which may not be understood out of context. The book is so important for Aikido I've made it the first one in Aikibodo's curriculum.
Tenyu.
Loved the video on 'fungi'. Read a lot of the book and personally didn't find much I don't know already.

As to apathy, well yes it is partly semantics but also due to a study of emotions I did years ago and thus I differenciate between such.

As to the books importance to Aikido? I would say that's your personal view and that's fine by me but for me Aikido it much more than that. What I found is a man who had had a life view changing experience and this has led him to a broader more aware look at things. I think Aikido could help him actually.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #220
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Mary & Graham,

I've rerouted the side discussion to the proper thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #221
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Japan Nuclear Plant to Release Contaminated Water Into Ocean

Full text of the article here:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...119169659.html
Ron. Read the article. That doesn't sound good. The fact that they are still searching for the source reminds me of a time when me and a friend were trying to locate a drain. The owner of the house insisted there never was one where we thought one would be and so we spent ages searching. Eventually we drilled down through a concrete patio while he wasn't around and low and behold there it was.

The thing is he knew that all along but didn't want us to discover it as it would make him look stupid. Wow! It would have been so much easier if he had been honest from the start.

Relating this scenario to Fukashima makes me wonder.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #222
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Walter

Mary's not an 8 year old. She's an adult capable of learning on her own. I'm giving her the resources to do so if she wants. I'm very willing ‘to teach' anyone within reason on topics that aren't available elsewhere, but that's not the case here.
But that argument (or excuse) can be made by many people on Aikiweb who are experts in various fields, and who are asked questions that fall within their domain of expertise -- and yet they seem able to provide at least a synopsis of their point along with their link to what they believe to be a definitive source (I'm thinking of someone like Peter Goldsbury, for example). At the very least, they're able to state why they can't simply answer the question -- they can frame the problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #223
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Mary. Did I? I don't usually use that term.

Regards.G.
"Tenyu. You need to stop putting your projections on others. I do not advocate dominating and controlling nature. Working with it is from where my I come."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #224
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Mary & Graham,

I've rerouted the side discussion to the proper thread.
Tenyu. Which side issue and to what thread?

Anyway. Tenyu, talking of side issues I did watch a video the other day which showed a 'manuscript' of the staff written by O'Sensei and presented to his student. So I see from that that he did have a 'way' of the staff and that person does teach it.

Do you know who I am referring to? When I saw the video I thought of the thread where you were talking about the staff and so wondered if you knew about this.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #225
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Tenyu. Which side issue and to what thread?

Anyway. Tenyu, talking of side issues I did watch a video the other day which showed a 'manuscript' of the staff written by O'Sensei and presented to his student. So I see from that that he did have a 'way' of the staff and that person does teach it.

Do you know who I am referring to? When I saw the video I thought of the thread where you were talking about the staff and so wondered if you knew about this.

Regards.G.
Same forum AOH thread.

Which teacher?
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 03:41 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 10:46 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 14 Peter Goldsbury Columns 38 08-01-2009 12:19 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 12 Peter Goldsbury Columns 32 05-16-2009 07:05 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 10 Peter Goldsbury Columns 200 02-04-2009 07:45 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate