Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Re: what is your dojo like?

Our dojo is on the second floor of an older building. Sensei sublet space behind a fitness center. You could hear the clang-clang of the cast iron weights during training. The fitness center is gone now, and sensei rents directly from the building's owner- a vet who has his clinic downstairs. Sometimes a breakfall disturbs a boarded pet causing barking (it always gives me a chuckle).

Our shoman was made by a sempai. Calligraphy by Saotome Sensei and Ikeda Sensei add a lot of beauty to our space.

I've been a member of this dojo about 5 years- I like to hear the stories of the space and people prior to me being around.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #27
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Our dojo is on the first floor of a building it shares with a gaming store and some upstairs apartments. It is a sparse space, dominated by the training mat. The only thing on the wall are a few pictures of O Sensei, one picture of the founder of our dojo, four weapons racks, and of course the kamiza.

The dojo was founded in the 60s by a Japanese-Hawaiian man who learned aikido from Akira Tohei Sensei and Koichi Tohei Shihan. The dojo later joined the USAF and then the ASU, and so our aikido is very eclectic.

It makes for an interesting environment, learning aikido from several different senseis with several different ideas of what aikido is and how aikido is supposed to be taught, without strict adherence to any particular style. The lack of continuity can be very confusing for beginners like me, but it offers a very broad perspective on the art.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #28
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

Hi Mary, your story is almost my life. We have a 33-mat dojo at the groundfloor of our house. We rised 4 children, one son is now living in Tokyo and is doing aikido with the Tomiki Aikido people and enters the Japanese competitions succesfully. Another daughter is still training in our dojo, and she is travelling the world for aikido.
Our dojo is open every day.
We are are lucky to have the same passion already for 40 years and our plan is to add 40years :-)
Eddy Wolput
www.shobukai.be
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #29
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Eddy Wolput wrote: View Post
Hi Mary, your story is almost my life. We have a 33-mat dojo at the groundfloor of our house. We rised 4 children, one son is now living in Tokyo and is doing aikido with the Tomiki Aikido people and enters the Japanese competitions succesfully. Another daughter is still training in our dojo, and she is travelling the world for aikido.
Our dojo is open every day.
We are are lucky to have the same passion already for 40 years and our plan is to add 40years :-)
Eddy Wolput
www.shobukai.be
Eddy,
As a point of interest what was the ground floor of your house originally? It's quite a problem having a place to practice aiki cheaply here in the UK.
In the past during the summer time, when it's dry, we have a green near where I live where we have made a "temporary" dojo. The ground is soft enough to do aikido ukemi there. First we check to see there is no dogs mess and practice what we can. We don't wear keikogi as it has a habit of going green!! So we wear old clothes! It's surprising what one can do..... People do give us strange looks, sometimes watch, or just pass on, probably thinking we are mad.... I suppose in their eyes we are....
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #30
ewolput
Dojo: Shobukai
Belgium

Hi Tony, originally my house belonged to a coal seller for the neighborhood. We put a woodenfloor in the place. It is a small dojo, but we can have training any time we like. Last week we had Shishida sensei and Shimada san teaching. If it was a a rented dojo or hall, we didn(t have the time to exchange ideas on the tatami after the regular course, but now there was for at least about 1 hrs extra on randori each day.
In the the past we also went to the park for training, but now the park is more a place for "strange " people and we don't like to have trouble.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #31
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

Our dojo is I suppose middle level in terms of physical structure. It is a wide open well lit downtown space but not in a free standing building like the beautiful dojo of Stickles Shihan or Jerry Zimmerman Sensei. I believe, however, that the spirit of welcoming is the measure of a dojo's true beauty and ours is a place filled with laughter, love and sweat. I did the principle filming of THE ART OF PEACE at AIkikai of Philadelphia so you can see a visual of the actual space on youtube under the title The Art Of Peace Traoiler Mosaic.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #32
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Given the price of land in Japan, it is very unlikely that many people here have a dojo which is part of their house. (In fact, the only person I can think of owns the local newspaper and is also independently wealthy.).
I'm really enjoying reading about folks' dojo. Mary, thank you for starting this thread and for sharing your dojo with us. Peter, I hope someday you get to visit my teacher's dojo in Okazaki. He lives downstairs and the dojo is the 2nd floor of his house. Here's a picture:
http://www.aikidogreensboro.org/Kodo...Photos.html#11

Our own dojo is 1/4 of a cinder block building that used to be a kindergarten back in the 60's before kindergarten became part of public school. It isn't fancy at all, and sometimes it smells terrible (after being closed up) but it's a very special place to me.
Susan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!