Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #26
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: winter thoughts

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
before my ki deepens it scatters and percolates then it settles and becomes more dependable. I stay with the process…
Mary
my ki is in the percolator at the moment. soon it will need cream and sugar to complete the journey.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Bravo Mary, quite poetic and martial at the same time. How Samurai of you. I love winter and the cold, it is indeed beautiful, especially in the mountains around Lake Tahoe. Winter to me is invigorating, crisp...more so than the summer. But I'm a gloom kind of guy.

Last edited by Hebrew Hammer : 01-31-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Stay Cut,

The Hebrew Hammer
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Summer still seems so far away.
Said the man in the Northern Hemisphere!

Cold blue skyed crisp winter days, beautiful to behold.

Where I live it tends to be mild, damp, grey and mizzley, so when the clear days do come along, we appreciate them all the more.

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
lbb
United_States

Blue sky? What's that?

'nother couple feet coming tomorrow...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #30
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Some kind of cherry or plum down the street is in full bloom here...spring's a coming.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
Thanks Mary for the nice description of the landscape.
Shomen attack should be observed and acccepted raising the arm at the same time as uke. There is no time to squint and shy away.
On the mat is no place for nothing else besides ukes attack, our center and the contact
I agree, Carina, there is no time to squint and shy away...and yet many of us do until we can do it different. Training is process...we all have to begin training where we are and progress from there.
best,
Mary
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #32
guest1234567
Spain

Of course Mary I forgot, but when I see our newbies, they doesn't seem to squint or shy away
And of course beeing on the mat I have no time for other thoughts than the things I must do there
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #33
Mary Eastland

I see no mountain today. I see suggestion of a light blue shape behind filmy white. The black and brown of tree trunks and limbs contrast in the gray of the winter rain. I trust the mountain is still there though I can't see it.
Saturday's class was like that. A flashback triggered PTSD…I feel nauseous and teary and the beginnings of a migraine. I step out of class to eat a banana and to remind myself that what happened was in the past. This day I am safe. I can feel my feet on the floor. I take deep breathes.
Ron encouraged me to come back to class after a gentle hug. I finished class trusting in the process. Classes that feel the worst usually offer breakthrough. Sunday's class was focused on two beginners. In giving, I find my mountain again. It is always there.
Mary
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #34
guest1234567
Spain

Hi Mary,
Pls remember that after each storm and black clouds the sun will shine again. One must pass through moments like that to enjoy life again and realize how beautiful it really is and be grateful for that.
A big hug
Carina
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
Hi Mary,
Pls remember that after each storm and black clouds the sun will shine again.
Clearly you've never been to New England.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
guest1234567
Spain

No, the closest from there I have been was in Ohio and Toronto...
But even I wrote that in figurative sense..
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #37
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

As a Puget Sound native I always picture the blue sky and bright sun warming the top of, well, clouds. With that in mind, it's always sunny in the day time...and at night there are always stars shining.
...and Mt. Rainier is always there somewhere!http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/R...-20-84_med.jpg

Last edited by mathewjgano : 02-02-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #38
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
As a Puget Sound native I always picture the blue sky and bright sun warming the top of, well, clouds. With that in mind, it's always sunny in the day time...and at night there are always stars shining.
...and Mt. Rainier is always there somewhere!http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/R...-20-84_med.jpg
Very optimistic thoughts, always happy
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #39
Mary Eastland

There are sparkles in the air today, the faeries must be flying. The mountain is strong and deep blue. I can see the cold. The wind chime is blowing. I believe there are tinkles and can hear them in my mind.
Last night 2 women showed up for class despite the weather. We did a whole class on ki development. The exercise that freaked me out on Saturday was more comfortable last night. I could find my center and move despite the invasive posture of the tester. Progress comes to those who train and train. Who said that?
Mary
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #40
Mary Eastland

Does the air always sparkle when it is cold and sunny? This morning looking out at my mountain and yard I was moved to tears by the beauty I live in. Hard choices have brought me to this life. It is totally worth every single thing I have not gotten to be right here, right now.
I may never be rich or famous yet I am rich and known and loved by some. That is enough and “Enough is as good as a feast”.
I am excited about our seminar on Sunday and happy to train tommorow.
Mary
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #41
guest1234567
Spain

Hi Mary,
Reading the beautiful dokas of O'Sensei, this one reminds me of this thread:
In the self-mind standing always
In the very center of it I do live
The stance (kamae) of Love is
"The Way of the Mountain Echo" (yamabiko).

- Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #42
Mary Eastland

The sun was out sometimes today. Sometimes it was so foggy the earth and the sky seemed to meet and blend. What was really nice was that it was 63 degrees. In February. After being negative 18 last week.
Our driveway is a long sheet of ice. I worked on the entry to the dojo with an edger this afternoon. I chipped away like mad for a few minutes until I was exhausted. I stopped to catch my breath…this was not going as I had planned. The ice was hard, the water from the snow on the roof was dripping down my neck and I was hot and sweaty after 3 minutes work. I pulled my hood up to stop the water dripping, put on some gloves and let the edger drop down on the ice from my center, then lifted and dropped it again. It was so easy. The ice broke up better and I was not at all tired. I let it happen just like I let uke lose balance and fall. I worked for several more minutes and got so much more done. But the really cool part was that my frustration vanished as my center was restored and the job became fun. I got to play outside in the sunshine with ice as my partner.
Mary
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #43
guest1234567
Spain

Thanks Mary, very nice again,always thinking aikido makes easier our daily life
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #44
Mary Eastland

It snowed today. The wind blew white waves across the barren corn fields. Sun played with our heads by shining brightly, calling us out to play. Shocking briskness greeted us as we hurried to the car tricked by yesterday’s tease.
In class this morning I felt roily. I wanted to argue and explain. We don’t. So I quieted and trained. My center returned. I was still confused but not frustrated. So much depends on the willingness to commit to myself over and over. Wanting to blame and rationalize only distract from the truth. It’s not you. It’s me. I can change one class at a time. Patience please, with the process. Spring always comes.
Mary
Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #45
Mary Eastland

We found spring on Tuesday...it's in North Carolina...we saw a blooming pink Japanese cherry tree and daffodils and dogwood. It was 65 degrees and sunny. We are headed back to the Berkshires, three feet of snow, 3 degrees and a major renovation to the dojo finished. There is no place like home. Maybe some spring hitched onto the car and we are hauling it back with us. ;o)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #46
lbb
United_States

One hopes. I'm sick of frostbite and shoveling.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #47
Walter Martindale
Canada

Spring - has sprung on Vancouver Island. However it isn't even a rumour here on the Canadian Prairie - 2 March, Minus 20C...
Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #48
guest1234567
Spain

Hi Mary, Instead of describing my place I'll put you the video of last sundays 4 hours walk, by the way the walk is good for strenghten the legs to add to aikido, the music is also from here, the first one with the timple, an instrument like a little guitar.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ovScV_9ha8
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #49
Mary Eastland

That is beautiful, Carina...thank you.
Mary

Last edited by Mary Eastland : 03-04-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: weirdness
Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #50
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Brass monkeys....

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!