Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #176
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi Marc,

It was Ledyard Sensei the one who I was talking about. Let me rephrase my post for further clarification:

No it (what Howie said about Ledyard Sensei) doesn't (make Ledyard Sensei right). But I believe he (Ledyard Sensei) is honest, which is a lot considering what there is around, and is honesty is what makes him (Ledyard Sensei) inspirational for those who know him.

Better now?

On Tenyu's honesty, integrity and japanesessness... my issue in this thread is people trying to juzgue his behaviour using two contradictory and non compatible standards at the same time: (a) modern western ethics & (b) (pseudo) feudal era bushi ethics.

As attempting to explain the difference between modern western and real feudal japanese bushi ethics, and how Tenyu's behaviour could have been considered appropiate and correct in other times and places, would be boring and probably fruitless here (especially considering my poor English skills) I'll let the issue go.

Maybe you'd like to reconsider your post. I think you've jumped into a pool without checking if there was water in it.

Regards.

PS. I hunt Tenyus for fun. Ask Howie
Demetrio:

My apologies regarding the misunderstanding with Ledyard Sensei.

I do not agree with you regarding your assumption regarding Japanese feudal-time ethics and western ethics.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #177
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,282
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
So you wouldn't have a problem with a lawyer who continued to practice after being disbarred for misuse of client funds?

After all, his license was taken away for behavior, not because of his understanding of the law.

There's more to being an instructor than technical skill.

Katherine
If there was nothing to keep that attorney from legally practicing law, he would need to have his license back, yes I would and I have, and am presently doing so because of their legal competence.

I believe in giving most people who make mistakes second chances.

You just have to keep an eye on them and your wallet.

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #178
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,078
Spain
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
My apologies regarding the misunderstanding with Ledyard Sensei.
Accepted, of course. Accept mine for giving you an answer a bit over the top.

Quote:
I do not agree with you regarding your assumption regarding Japanese feudal-time ethics and western ethics.
Maybe you find this interesting as a starting point about japanese feudal ethics.

And don't forget the "Call the warrior a dog, call him a beast: winning is his business." Asakura Soteki, Hanawa, ed., Zoku zoku gunsho ruiju, vol. 10, pp. 1--9; PV. cited in Theodore de Bary et al (Ed), Sources of Japanese Tradition, Vol 1, p 428.

Thread worthy in itself. Maybe in another ocassion.

Regards.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #179
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Accepted, of course. Accept mine for giving you an answer a bit over the top.

Maybe you find this interesting as a starting point about japanese feudal ethics.

And don't forget the "Call the warrior a dog, call him a beast: winning is his business." Asakura Soteki, Hanawa, ed., Zoku zoku gunsho ruiju, vol. 10, pp. 1--9; PV. cited in Theodore de Bary et al (Ed), Sources of Japanese Tradition, Vol 1, p 428.

Thread worthy in itself. Maybe in another ocassion.

Regards.
Demetrio:

I was referring to the aspect of that warrior violating the oath to the head of his family fighting system. I did not expand the subject matter beyond that. Certainly, people can say that he did not take a blood oath and that an oral agreement is not binding. An oath was broken. This man can only move forward from this point. I certainly would not want to be in his shoes....

Regards,

Marc Abrams
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #180
Cliff Judge
Location: Kawasaki, Kanagawa
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,267
Japan
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Maybe you find this interesting as a starting point about japanese feudal ethics.

And don't forget the "Call the warrior a dog, call him a beast: winning is his business." Asakura Soteki, Hanawa, ed., Zoku zoku gunsho ruiju, vol. 10, pp. 1--9; PV. cited in Theodore de Bary et al (Ed), Sources of Japanese Tradition, Vol 1, p 428.
I don't think Marc or anybody is claiming that the set of ethics that Tenyu has violated by breaking his oath to Read Sensei to not teach Aikibujitsu is that of a Samurai to his lord. Marc may have allowed you to frame the argument in that exchange.

Some of us are arguing that the ethics in play regarding the student-teacher relationship in koryu can be applied as a precedent here. Those of us who are talking about these ethics do not misunderstand them in the way that you raise.

You may argue that this is gendai budo and it is therefore erroneous to consider the agreement Tenyu entered into with Read Sensei as a kisshomon, but you may not argue that the people on this board who practice or read about koryu training don't know what a kisshomon is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #181
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Any atemi be it physical or verbal aimed at uke in the particular simultaneously resigns the thrower into becoming uke as well. One is not separate from the harm, however well concealed, one attempts to inflict on another! This is why Aikido is so important. It took a long time before I understood this on a practical level inside the dojo. After I began working directly with ever-shifting upstream asymptotic surfaces surrounding uke, I haven't had to resort to downstream atemis which by default are dissonant in nature.

Many people to no fault of their own have grown up without the right role models of nage. Luckily there are many Aikido masters in the world who have never heard the word Aikido. But when harmony is not yet understood, many people actually prefer disharmony because the lack of either, a much needed ‘silence', is considered a form of death which primal fear vehemently resists. This dysfunctional misalignment with the universe is one of the reasons the earth is literally being destroyed.

Many people question why I would put myself on here now. If you reread my OP, I have already stated this is not what I wanted. But if one takes the time to read and understand the link on peak oil and do their own thorough independent study on the invisible elephant in everyone's living room then one will understand that time is a luxury not to be wasted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #182
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,257
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Many people question why I would put myself on here now. If you reread my OP, I have already stated this is not what I wanted. ....then one will understand that time is a luxury not to be wasted.
Oh boy. I think my post about Jesus manquées, which I meant purely metaphorically at the time may actually now be read more literally than intended.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #183
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Clearly it's an opinion, and clearly it's a Graham-flavored opinion, naturally You seem like a kind soul, in general, but I think you do have a tendency to over-mystify things -- to see all kinds of mysterious meanings and layers where they may not exist. The statement isn't Zen, isn't a Buddhist teaching of any flavor, and really is quite the opposite of a Zen koan. It is, if anything, anti-mystery, or at least anti-obfuscation. There is a difference between opinion and facts, and it's a big mistake to confuse the two.

In this thread, you've been advocating a fair and even-handed approach, and that's all good; however, just because your approach is fair and even-handed doesn't mean that the facts you discover will weigh equally on both sides. When that happens, honesty demands that you recognize that the facts favor one side. If you refuse to do so, you're no longer being even-handed, you're just creating false equivalences.
Mary, Mary, Quite contrary.
Very funny. Opposite of a zen koan eh? What I am aware of, can demonstrate and show to be real are facts therefore. I own my own facts and your view on them would thus be your opinion.
My abilities are facts as are yours. You own them I hope.

Is this a layer you missed?

To weigh up facts on both sides eh? To discard the opinions and weigh up the facts. Mmmm. Maybe your a judge.

It all sounds very logical but there is more to wisdom than counting up facts like a balance sheet. There's degree of importance, there's relevence, there's all the facts that not been divulged.

So the facts presented on count may favor one side like a balance sheet so what? This means you have some knowledge. Ever heard the saying about a little knowledge?

Knowledge is a body or group of data. It has nothing to do with knowing.

It's o.k. for shooting the breeze on a discussion page though so have fun. It's all good.

Is that enough mystery for you,
Or like like a zenso, do I bore you,
Should I be serious, or ignore you?
Never! Your my sister, I adore you.

Peace. G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #184
Toby Threadgill
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Oh boy. I think my post about Jesus manquées, which I meant purely metaphorically at the time may actually now be read more literally than intended.
Alrighty then....

Janet & Mary.....Some people in here have entered the aikibunny time/space distortion field. If you want to hold hands so the dysfunctional misalignment of the universe caused by reasoning from planet Neptune doesn't cause us to fall into a singularity and go poof, just say the word, I'm right here with you guys...feet planted on terra firma.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Last edited by Toby Threadgill : 02-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #185
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,670
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Alrighty then....

Janet & Mary.....Some people in here have entered the aikibunny time/space distortion field. If you want to hold hands so the dysfunctional misalignment of the universe caused by reasoning from planet Neptune doesn't cause us to fall into a singularity and go poof, just say the word, I'm right here with you guys...feet planted on terra firma.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
Toby,
You never fail to crack me up...
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #186
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 917
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Well I'm no senior but I am a woman so perhaps I can please Mr Ledyard a little. I have been following this thread for the past few days as I kinda wondered how the OP would be received. I have given a lot of thought to both sides of the argument not to mention enjoying all of the little side trips the tread has taken, especially in the realm of IT whihch I have recently had the pleasure to begin exploring.

Anyway here is my thoughts on the matter.

When I was looking for my aikido sensei I took the time to talk to the teachers and get to know their character. And indeed they were wonderful people to get to know. But I did not just take the fact that they were wonderful people with good intentions into account when choosing them to be my sensei. I looked at their teachers and their background and where they came from. I think if I found out that my teacher had done something like this in respect to his own teacher I just could no longer respect him. I could not choose someone to guide me in my own growth as a martial artist who had acted in such a manner. I would be embarrassed to call such a person my sensei.

It would take an awful lot to make me change my mind. And it would take the person being admitted back into grace by his own seniors at the very least.

I also note that this discussion contains the full real name of each member including the OP. Something we are all very aware of when we post our own contributions. I recall looking up my teachers past discussions here on aikiweb in order to get to know him when I first began training. The OP's future aspiring students may very well do the same. The words posted here will be available for many years to come to anyone who looks for information regarding this person.

I think enough has been said on the subject. Don't you?

Last edited by Shadowfax : 02-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #187
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

A very brief anthropological understanding:

http://www.violence.de/prescott/lett...cteristics.pdf

The phrase "religious activity" is used here in the general western sense indicating separation from God rather than the identification which occurs in healthy cultures.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #188
Gary David
 
Gary David's Avatar
Location: Long Beach, CA
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 332
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Is that enough mystery for you,
Or like like a zenso, do I bore you,
Should I be serious, or ignore you?
Never! Your my sister, I adore you.

Peace. G.
Graham
You crack me up……… Your style reminds me of friends I had back in the 60's and 70's……. At the time interesting discussions hazed in smoke or other eatables. Of course everyone had to go back to work on Monday.

Just go straight........

Gary
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #189
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Mary, Mary, Quite contrary.
Wow, I never heard that one before. Do you remember the one about the little lamb? I can never quite remember how it goes, so obviously I haven't heard it enough.
Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Very funny. Opposite of a zen koan eh?
Yes, it is. It is simple and straightforward, and there is no intuitive leap required.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
What I am aware of, can demonstrate and show to be real are facts therefore. I own my own facts and your view on them would thus be your opinion.
My abilities are facts as are yours. You own them I hope.

Is this a layer you missed?
No, I think it's you who have misunderstood here. Let me try by way of a simple and specific example. You cannot state "Two plus two equals five!" and then when challenged on the basis that your statement contains a factual error, say, "But it's just my opinion!" Not everything is based in fact, but facts do exist, and they are objective truth, not matters of opinion. You do not "own your own facts". No one does. You do not own your own universe where two plus two can equal five, or pi, or tiramisu.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
To weigh up facts on both sides eh? To discard the opinions and weigh up the facts. Mmmm. Maybe your a judge.
And maybe you're someone who is invested in believing that there are no facts, and thus, no basis for judgment, ever. Why is that?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
It all sounds very logical but there is more to wisdom than counting up facts like a balance sheet. There's degree of importance, there's relevence, there's all the facts that not been divulged.
There is no wisdom in confusing fact with opinion.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
So the facts presented on count may favor one side like a balance sheet so what? This means you have some knowledge. Ever heard the saying about a little knowledge?
Indeed I do. A little knowledge encourages sophistry and obfuscation.

Consider another example that has two sides. On the one side, you have a Holocaust survivor. She tells about the atrocities that she has suffered and witnessed -- atrocities also amply documented by the accounts of others. Then, on the other side, you have a Holocaust denier, who says, "It never happened."

Two sides, one with the weight of evidence and witness...the other, a fabrication based on a desire to believe something contrary to reality. Do you think that "so what" is an adequate response to that? Saying "so what" is making a false equivalence, considering the two sides as having equal weight and merit. They do not. Approaching a question without prejudice, without pre-judging, is not the same as approaching it (as you seem to want to do) with a pre-judgment that both sides are of equal merit.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Knowledge is a body or group of data. It has nothing to do with knowing.
How can it not? The words have the same root. Knowing, by definition, is to have knowledge.

Last edited by lbb : 02-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #190
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,604
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Graham
You crack me up……… Your style reminds me of friends I had back in the 60's and 70's…….
Ah....

Pedro: Hey how am I driving, man?
Man Stoner: [looks around] : I think we're parked.

Yeah, kinda feels that way sometimes. Where are the doritos and fruit loops?

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #191
Toby Threadgill
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Mary,

I just figured it out. Given Graham Christian's creativity with fact and tendency towards unrestrained sophistry, his name must be a pseudonym. His real name must be..........Glenn Beck!



Toby Threadgill
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #192
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Wow, I never heard that one before. Do you remember the one about the little lamb? I can never quite remember how it goes, so obviously I haven't heard it enough.

Yes, it is. It is simple and straightforward, and there is no intuitive leap required.

No, I think it's you who have misunderstood here. Let me try by way of a simple and specific example. You cannot state "Two plus two equals five!" and then when challenged on the basis that your statement contains a factual error, say, "But it's just my opinion!" Not everything is based in fact, but facts do exist, and they are objective truth, not matters of opinion. You do not "own your own facts". No one does. You do not own your own universe where two plus two can equal five, or pi, or tiramisu.

And maybe you're someone who is invested in believing that there are no facts, and thus, no basis for judgment, ever. Why is that?

There is no wisdom in confusing fact with opinion.

Indeed I do. A little knowledge encourages sophistry and obfuscation.

Consider another example that has two sides. On the one side, you have a Holocaust survivor. She tells about the atrocities that she has suffered and witnessed -- atrocities also amply documented by the accounts of others. Then, on the other side, you have a Holocaust denier, who says, "It never happened."

Two sides, one with the weight of evidence and witness...the other, a fabrication based on a desire to believe something contrary to reality. Do you think that "so what" is an adequate response to that? Saying "so what" is making a false equivalence, considering the two sides as having equal weight and merit. They do not. Approaching a question without prejudice, without pre-judging, is not the same as approaching it (as you seem to want to do) with a pre-judgment that both sides are of equal merit.

How can it not? The words have the same root. Knowing, by definition, is to have knowledge.
Mary. Relax.

I pointed out facts didn't I? A Fact is something that can be perceived and demonstrated to be there. Simple.

Examples of two plus two and holocaust are not valid as they don't fall into the realm of opinion, they are lies or delusions.

As I said, degree of importance.

'So what' means I have a little knowledge. 'So what' means I have one MAJOR fact missing called personal experience with the person concerned. Hence in lfe you have investigations, undercover operations, going and seeing. For until then you don't know. 'So what' means add some perspective to the matter. 'So what' means stop being judge, jury and executioner.

On the other hand feel free to read my response and say 'so what.'

I did just the opposite of what you say with regards to pre-judgement or prejudice. As I said TWICE, my conclusion was with the limited knowledge I had that he should go visit his old teacher and try to come to an arrangement they are both happy with.

In your logic that makes me a minority of one. That makes me what? Frankly, do I care? That's my opinion and my conclusion. It hasn't happened as yet therefore it's not a fact. In fact as far as I'm concerned it's a gift.

Let me also put it simply, I have facts, KNOWLEDGE about you--- I don't KNOW you.

Regards. G.

Last edited by graham christian : 02-14-2011 at 09:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #193
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Hi to everyone.

Time for me to give my last words on this matter.( Hooray!)

In the spirit of Zen.

Once upon a time there was a student. He decided to study computers. HE started and read data and gained some knowledge. As he progressed the various data started clicking together and thus he built up understandings. He gathered more knowledge and understandings and applied them. He practiced. He put the knowledge and understandings to work, practicing and practicing with his computer until it all clicked together and he could DO.

The knowledge and understandings practiced resulted in ability.
Only now did he know how to use a computer.

He then used that ability to cause as much trouble as he could.

The moral of this story?

Even if you reach the dizzy heights of knowing and ability, 'so what?' What GOOD use are you putting it to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #194
Gary David
 
Gary David's Avatar
Location: Long Beach, CA
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 332
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Keith

Quote:
We've got to speed things up in this hotel.
Chef, if a guest orders a three-minute egg, give it to him in two minutes.
If he orders a two-minute egg, give it to him in one minute.
If he orders a one-minute egg, give him a chicken and let him work it out for himself.

Groucho (Marx) in A Night in Casablanca (movie)
Gary
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #195
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,604
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Ha! Gary, I just made my 10-year-old daughter watch Duck Soup. She laughed a few times, but it just didn't register... Sad, I remember being infatuated with the Marx brothers when I was a kid. Maybe I'll have to make her watch night at the opera next...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #196
Toby Threadgill
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
'So what' means I have a little knowledge. 'So what' means I have one MAJOR fact missing called personal experience with the person concerned. Hence in lfe you have investigations, undercover operations, going and seeing. For until then you don't know. 'So what' means add some perspective to the matter. 'So what' means stop being judge, jury and executioner.

On the other hand feel free to read my response and say 'so what.'

I did just the opposite of what you say with regards to pre-judgement or prejudice. As I said TWICE, my conclusion was with the limited knowledge I had that he should go visit his old teacher and try to come to an arrangement they are both happy with.
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

- Graham Christian...channeling "Alice in Wonderland"


Keith,

She's too young for Duck Soup. A Night in Casablanca is better.

"What do you think you're doing, holding the building up?


Last edited by Toby Threadgill : 02-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #197
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,604
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Keith,

She's too young for Duck Soup. A Night in Casablanca is better.

"What do you think you're doing, holding the building up?
Nods head...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #198
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Mary. Relax.
Why thanks, Graham! Your condescending and peremptory command to "relax" has put me in my place once and for all. Clearly you're the rational one in this exchange (how not, since you told me to "relax", so obviously I must be irrational). I'll go "relax" now and endeavor to be more like you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #199
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
Location: Devon
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,220
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Why thanks, Graham! Your condescending and peremptory command to "relax" has put me in my place once and for all. Clearly you're the rational one in this exchange (how not, since you told me to "relax", so obviously I must be irrational). I'll go "relax" now and endeavor to be more like you.
Hi Mary,

the sarcasm in your reply is poorly hidden. I'm not saying it's unwarranted or unprovoked. However this thread has drifted way off kilter. The OP's posts are going virtually ignored (maybe the best response) while others who should know better, trade poorly disguised insults with each other.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #200
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
the sarcasm in your reply is poorly hidden.
What on earth makes you think it was hidden at all, or that it should be? People who throw mud shouldn't complain if they get dirty, nor should others complain on their behalf.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 03:41 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 10:46 PM
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 09:31 AM
Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center? ChrisMoses Training 130 03-17-2007 04:21 PM
Aki-Jitsu The One General 40 04-01-2001 04:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate