Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: your number one technique

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Especially if the doors are locked on that cab!!!! And the cabbie se's "Naaa Guv......... money up front.......
I reckon you are just one of those orrible cabbies that switch the " For Hire " sign off just as you hear someone running and shouting
"" Driver, Driver !, help, I have been mugged, he has taken my purse with my money and Ki !!!"

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #27
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
I reckon you are just one of those orrible cabbies that switch the " For Hire " sign off just as you hear someone running and shouting
"" Driver, Driver !, help, I have been mugged, he has taken my purse with my money and Ki !!!"

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com
Naaa!!!, Henry I'm just one of those 'orrible cabbies that drives away when I see how many are chasing them!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #28
Hellis
England

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Naaa!!!, Henry I'm just one of those 'orrible cabbies that drives away when I see how many are chasing them!!!!!
At last !!! a good technique for all to learn. much better than " The way to handle a bully is to walk away."

Rik ( my son ) was quietly walking home from a night out.

Three yobs were giving some poor girls serious grief, as Rik approached, he politely asked ( he is always polite ) the yobs to leave the girls alone, they then turned on him, as he walked backwards stating those famous words " I don't want any trouble " which of course he knew they would take as weakness, he had his hands in the air as he walked backwards ( for possible CTV ) they attacked him, he knocked two out and the third backed off. They were punching and never made contact. Rik's only injury was a broken hand, which resulted in the cancellation of 3 forthcoming fights..He then walked the young ladies safely home.
So, walking away from bullies can be very dangerous.....

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #29
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Wink Re: your number one technique

What an un-aiki behaviour!

You should scold your son before is too late, he's acting like a gentleman. If you dont bring him back to the right path of aiki as soon as possible, before you notice he coud go into the nefarious ways of scholarship.

Imagine the disgrace for the aikido world if people started to consider your son "a gentleman and a scholar". Him being a fighter is not enough?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
At last !!! a good technique for all to learn. much better than " The way to handle a bully is to walk away."

Rik ( my son ) was quietly walking home from a night out.

Three yobs were giving some poor girls serious grief, as Rik approached, he politely asked ( he is always polite ) the yobs to leave the girls alone, they then turned on him, as he walked backwards stating those famous words " I don't want any trouble " which of course he knew they would take as weakness, he had his hands in the air as he walked backwards ( for possible CTV ) they attacked him, he knocked two out and the third backed off. They were punching and never made contact. Rik's only injury was a broken hand, which resulted in the cancellation of 3 forthcoming fights..He then walked the young ladies safely home.
So, walking away from bullies can be very dangerous.....

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
As any real gentleman would Henry......

I have been in a similar situ where a fight broke out between some nob and his girlfriend in the back of my cab one night...... This nob went too far and started beating her up, I just had to step in at risk and also injury to myself as well, as we were fighting halfway in and out of the cab!!!!, I managed to grab his ear and yanked him out of the cab to see to him, when I eventually got him out he did a runner!! Leaving me to deal with a very badly beaten young lady who I had to take to A&E...... Not very nice and very ugly..... honestly if people only really knew the reality out there...... It's a bloody zoo at times.....
It may seem surreal to most but it's reality to me......
What really pissed me off is I got no thanks (no fare) for my effort Just a lot of tears, hysteria and how he was such a bastard.......
Reality sucks..... amen

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 01-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #31
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

My number one technique is not going to seedy dive bars. It's worked for nearly 35 years!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
My number one technique is not going to seedy dive bars. It's worked for nearly 35 years!
Wa's wrong with seedy bars?
Went to many in my youth, never had any problem except the sticky carpet........
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ai symbol Re: your number one technique

Grabbing their mind before the attack even begins.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #34
terry johnson

Dojo: Pattaya Thai Aikido
Thailand

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
You use the technique the fits the situation. You can't force any one technique into a random situation. That wouldn't be "Aiki".
You are right and wrong for you can apply any technique switching from one to another....totally gob smacking and confusing your assailant.

It really depends how quickly you wish to end the game
kind regards
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #35
Hellis
England

Quote:
Terry Johnson wrote: View Post
You are right and wrong for you can apply any technique switching from one to another....totally gob smacking and confusing your assailant.

It really depends how quickly you wish to end the game
kind regards
Sounds impressive, I would willingly pay with my weeks pension to see such an event

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #36
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
Yeah, but you are missing all the fun - interesting places those seedy dive bars

Greg
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #37
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

As previously mentioned by a few here, you just don't plan a technique in an actual physical confrontation - your conditioned training just takes over and your actions are unconscious responses to the forces coming into you. Also keep in mind, that techniques are just examples of the principles and concepts behind them - you do not apply a technique you apply the concept that it represents.

In my practical experience with actual conflicts, my conditioned impulse is an irimi to get beside and/or behind the attack - once there, you have many options.

Just My Opinion

Greg
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

What I have found is that despite what people may favor, what typically 'comes out' of my students is whatever they have practiced the most, and the most recently.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #39
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada

1) Talk
2) Run
3) Ikkajo

everything else is ............... for fun.

Andrew Barron
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
aikidoka81

Singapore

My number one and favourite technique would be Iriminage. It is quick and effective.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #41
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

What I find useful is the ability to grab with a strong grip, step off the line, enter or tenkan and manipulate the other persons balance to my advantage.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

#1 [Drum Roll]
Hijikime Osae / Rokkyo
So effective its used in B.J.J. [a.k.a. "Standing Armlock"]

#2 [Former favorite]
Kote Gaeshi
Ura if possible as this leaves the option for #1, [Rokkyo/Standing Armlock], then you can finish off with Kote Gaeshi.

note: In ura ukes arm is not outside of mine.
My arm goes inside, allowing for optional switch to elbow to pressure point, keeping arm centered and always in the direction of my face, movement goes downward and easily switches to Rokkyo for control and then into a smooth backstep for Kote Gaeshi.

note 2:
Before taking a 2 year hiatus, after three years of training [approx] I was able to take Kote Gaeshi and pin a guy in the grappling portion at the local Thai Boxing class. [These are not professional grade BJJ artist, though the instructor is a top notch Thai Box champ]

You can call it Omote, but we were both on the ground when I pulled it off.

side note: I had the daylights, literally, half knocked out of me for foolishly opting for traditional Aikido stance.
[Hey, at least I tried it out]

Thoughts:
You mentioned keeping it 'real'.
Number 1 is probably the only technique you have a real chance with in a sport competition such as MMA, BJJ, etc. [Its been done]

Number 2 less likely, but people like myself do surprise people and pull it off.

Other than that, other techniques that work cant really be 'set up' in a live situation where the pressure is on from two talented competitors.

Least Favorite:
Iriminage
I find this the most annoying as many people try to force the test version to work and dont understand why it doesnt and causes everyone a hard time when resistance comes in.

You have to take center/balance, with any technique, and a lot of times people rely on atemi, etc.
There are variations of this which Im prone to like more, but my favorite version ends up using the RNC [Rear Naked Choke] vs. finishing with the 'toss', whatever you want to call it.

Fun to play with
Nikkyo, Sankyo, Ikkyo
[Gokyo seems pointless the way we practice it, but I like Roy Deans gooseneck standing technique]

Yonkyo is fun when you get that bend in the arm and you put your knee on the shoulder of Uke and twist. [Starting to have the effect of BJJs Kimura, or so it seems]
Though getting the person there with any of these techniques, in a sport situation, may be hard.

Final thought:
Jodan/Chudan Tsuki are fun attacks to use techniques on, but are the most unrealistic as far as being of any practical use. Not impossible, but typically you have jabs... not lingering slow arms coming at you.

Peace

Dalen

Last edited by dalen7 : 04-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #43
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

There's only nine main techniques and to have a favourite one is ridiculous. They all need to be good. Further, to suggest a favourite is to suggest that that is what you would do against a real unprovoked attack when in reality, what you should do ought to be a spontaneous natural response to the attack / its direction / its force etc. in the moment. You couldn't just do your so called favourite technique, but if you have that mind, you would probably try to, and get wiped out.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #44
Don Nordin
Dojo: Aikibudokan Houston TX
United_States

getting out of the way. Not as easy as you think, but key to survival.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #45
lars beyer
Denmark

Another favorite techniques is a genuine smile. Even the most disgruntled person will find it hard to build up any kind of aggression on that account.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #46
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Sheesh - this is degenerating. My favorite technique (my Tokui waza) is ushiro ate - for me the ultimate of timing, speed and I just love collapsing the collapsing of spine if you get it right.

It is a fallacy that people rely only on their tokui waza - no these are the techniques (and there may be more than one) that feels right for your body, that you practice more than most and that you are most likely to pull off if the correct situation arises. It is through the tokui waza that you can bring your art to its higher levels.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #47
lars beyer
Denmark

Or shihonage, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_O_h...ture=endscreen

Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #48
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Shiho nage I suppose. Either that or kotegaeshi.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #49
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
with all the discussion that come up about "how effective is aikido?" or "does this really work?" what are your guy number on techniques for using

I mean using out of the dojo, either if you are playing with a person from another style or actually fighting

for me, out of my aikido arsenal i would take irimi nage, i find it fast, effective and most importantly versitlie, i can change the size of the movement from very large to very small (very small is where i would want to be using it most of the time but that is a point for another thread) also it is easy to throw in a knee or a strike during the technique

(...) but can we actually talk about practical techniques
if you cannot avoid the fight (which is indeed your first technique ever) then my tech of choice is an armlock. I want to end as soon as possibile, going lateral and trying to force a sophisticated tech is not a good idea. Grab the arm and lock it.

Aside from that, my preferred tech is kotegaeshi, if we speak of a tech irrespective of an actual fight.

ps you say that your technique in a real fight, the one you prefer, would be iriminage. Have you ever placed that on a real attacker? Say a big guy throwing punches at you?

Because if you never did, I strongly advice that you would never, never, never rely on iriminage in a real situation - you risk of finding right then that it simply does not work in a real situation like it does with ukes in the dojo.
You would find yourself puzzled and not knowing what to do for 2 or even 5 seconds (which is an eternity in a real fight), but most significantly you would find yourself placed in the most unconvenient positions (almost squarely frontal to your adversary, fully exposed to his punches from both arms, at close quarters which enhances the impact of his hits enormously and the amount of severe damage they can do, and with an arm of yours unusable, namely the one that you placed on his neck to find only right then and for the first time that he, simply, does not bend in the least).

Of course if you have already placed it in a real situation and you have an impressive ability with it, go for it. But if (if) you never placed an iriminage aganist a real attack, please consider other options.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
#1 "Standing Armlock"[/i]]
(...)
You mentioned keeping it 'real'.
Number 1 is probably the only technique you have a real chance with
Oh, exactly!
This is what I suggested in my previous post. When I replied I did not read all the previous posts yet.