Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Japan
Offline
New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Sensei

Hi everyone, I see that there is quite a lot of discussion going on at the moment on the first steps of Aikido in Europe so I thought that I would share with you some of the material in my possession.

I have started to translate into English a series of articles written by André Nocquet Sensei, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Sensei Morihei Ueshiba. The two first are:
- The strength of the Japanese spirit
- Principles and Techniques of Aikido

I also put on-line some archive footage shot by André Nocquet himself whilst in Japan, some of which I made available to Stanley Pranin for his latest DVD on Koichi Tohei. Well worth a look.

I will put more material on-line as soon as I translate and edit it so keep an eye on this page

Also, if you have comments or corrections to make (especially on the English), don't hesitate to contact me.

All the best

Guillaume Erard
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
chillzATL
Location: ATL
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 846
United_States
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

very cool stuff, I would love to see more of the O'sensei footage if available. Thanks for posting!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,111
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Dear Guillaume,
Nice articles.Hope you are well. Best regards .Have a Happy New Year.
All the best , Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 596
England
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Hi Guillaume

Good to see you are still working on preserving the history of European Aikido.
I was not surprized to read that Nocquet Sensei experienced some problems that were similar to those experienced in the UK..

Tamura Sensei ~ Aikido Journal.
What was Mr. Nocquet doing at that time?
He was the first Frenchman to come to Japan for aikido training and stayed for two years (1955-57). It seems that at that time (around 1962) he was actively engaged in spreading aikido in Paris from his base in Bordeaux where he was born. His group belonged to the FFJDA (Federation Francaise de Judo et Disciplines Assimiles - French Federation of Judo and Related Disciplines) but he thought it was insulting for aikido to be placed under the auspices of Judo. Although Mr. Nocquet had acquired authority over the administration of aikido in France from Mr. Abe, Japanese senseis came to teach without his permission. Consequently, he had initiated legal action against the Aikikai. He had no contact with the Japanese at all.""""
"""

Take care
Henry

Henry Ellis
http://tadashi-abe.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Location: Freiburg
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 307
Germany
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Mr. Ellis,
while we are at it: may I ask you what your recollections of the role of Aritomo (Aritoshi) Murashige are, if any? I asked on this forum a couple of years ago and nobody really knew.

From bits and pieces of internet information and some educated guesswork it has seemed to me that Murashige was sort of considered "in charge" or European Aikido by the locals after Tadashi Abe left, and until he died after a crash in - I think - 1964. Do you have any first hand information?

Also, thanks for pointing out the quote by Tamura Sensei, very interesting! That could be quite a loaded and elliptical statement, however: first of all, it sort of describes the scene before Tamura arrived, so he is not really impartial: after all, Nocquet was senior to him in both martial arts experience and years, and Tamura arrived to take over Europe... second, he seems to have been in a kind of rivalry with Nocquet, sometimes sympathetic, sometimes not so, for all the later's life: there is a story that, when they first met, Tamura resisted a technique and Nocquet, who was a 4th dan in pre-olympic Judo/ Kawaishi Jujutsu just changed it and choked young Tamura out.
(Please note I am not making a statement about whether that makes sense in an aikido setting...)

So, any information about Murashige would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicholas
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 596
England
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Mr. Ellis,
while we are at it: may I ask you what your recollections of the role of Aritomo (Aritoshi) Murashige are, if any? I asked on this forum a couple of years ago and nobody really knew.

From bits and pieces of internet information and some educated guesswork it has seemed to me that Murashige was sort of considered "in charge" or European Aikido by the locals after Tadashi Abe left, and until he died after a crash in - I think - 1964. Do you have any first hand information?

Also, thanks for pointing out the quote by Tamura Sensei, very interesting! That could be quite a loaded and elliptical statement, however: first of all, it sort of describes the scene before Tamura arrived, so he is not really impartial: after all, Nocquet was senior to him in both martial arts experience and years, and Tamura arrived to take over Europe... second, he seems to have been in a kind of rivalry with Nocquet, sometimes sympathetic, sometimes not so, for all the later's life: there is a story that, when they first met, Tamura resisted a technique and Nocquet, who was a 4th dan in pre-olympic Judo/ Kawaishi Jujutsu just changed it and choked young Tamura out.
(Please note I am not making a statement about whether that makes sense in an aikido setting...)

So, any information about Murashige would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicholas
Hi Nicholas

I am not usually one for forums, but there has been some very interesting threads recently which have made me dig deep into my fading memory...

I am in regular contact with Jiro Nakazono Sensei the second son of Masahilo Nakazono Sensei, I have quite a few questions I would like to put to him.......I never met Murashige, I have little knowlege of him, I had heard of him of course and the awful car crash.....I am unsure that he would have ``taken over `` ..When Nakazono Sensei arrived in France in the early sixties, Tadashi Abe was still there, they taught at the Foreign Legion together.
I have corresspondence that shows what we were already advised, Nakazono Sensei was the " AikiKai representative for Europe & North Africa " .....Then Noro Sensei arrived, I believe that he referred to himself as the AikiKai Rep to France ???????.. In 1963 I was on stage with both Nakazono Sensei and Noro Sensei at the Royal Albert Hall....Nakazono used Noro as ukie, there appeared to be a problem between them that I had not noticed before...So, did Tamura replace these two teachers in France ? Why did both Nakazono and Noro leave the AikiKai..

I will update any information when available.

Henry Ellis
http://tadashi-abe.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Location: Freiburg
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 307
Germany
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Just briefly, this old thread may be relevant, I will go through it again:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11806

Went through - it is relevant...

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 12-31-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: added last sentence
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
john.burn
 
john.burn's Avatar
Dojo: Chishin Dojo
Location: Coventry
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 179
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Mr. Ellis,
while we are at it: may I ask you what your recollections of the role of Aritomo (Aritoshi) Murashige are, if any? I asked on this forum a couple of years ago and nobody really knew.

From bits and pieces of internet information and some educated guesswork it has seemed to me that Murashige was sort of considered "in charge" or European Aikido by the locals after Tadashi Abe left, and until he died after a crash in - I think - 1964. Do you have any first hand information?

Also, thanks for pointing out the quote by Tamura Sensei, very interesting! That could be quite a loaded and elliptical statement, however: first of all, it sort of describes the scene before Tamura arrived, so he is not really impartial: after all, Nocquet was senior to him in both martial arts experience and years, and Tamura arrived to take over Europe... second, he seems to have been in a kind of rivalry with Nocquet, sometimes sympathetic, sometimes not so, for all the later's life: there is a story that, when they first met, Tamura resisted a technique and Nocquet, who was a 4th dan in pre-olympic Judo/ Kawaishi Jujutsu just changed it and choked young Tamura out.
(Please note I am not making a statement about whether that makes sense in an aikido setting...)

So, any information about Murashige would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicholas
Hi Nicholas,

My first aikido teacher was Tom Moss who's lineage was from Murashige sensei via Thielemans sensei, you could try contacting Tony Thielemans here... http://www.yamaarashi.be/

You might also try and contact Georges Stobbaerts as he was also in Belgium with Murashige sensei - http://www.tenchi-international.com/

I'm not sure but isn't Morihiko Murashige related?

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Japan
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Dear Henry and Joe, it is great to hear from you too. Best wishes for the year to come and I hope some more cooperation and articles between us

With the passing of Tamura Sensei and Sugano Sensei, I believe it is all the more important to try to recall and salvage all that we can from the old days.

I am too very interested in the conversation currently taking place on this thread since I have been a member of both Tamura and Nocquet senseis' federations and I have heard a lot of conflictual accounts regarding that period. I never quite figured out why so many Japanese sensei were sent to France by the Aikikai at that time...

All the best

G
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 596
England
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Hi Guillaume

The Doshu wrote to me in the year 2000, he said in part.

" It is more than thirty years since Kisshomaru Ueshiba,my father,succeeded Aikido Doshu 11, And last year I was inaugurated as the Aikido Doshu. Time flies! Aikidoists who were awarded dan grades by the Founder are becoming fewer year by year. I believe that a person like you is very precious."

That was ten years ago, we are fewer still now.
I believe that we ``old uns `` have a duty to leave a truthful documented history for future generations of Aikido students..
Students that value the truth more than many in the UK do at this time.

Best wishes for 2011
Henry

Henry Ellis
http://tadashi-abe.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hellis : 12-31-2010 at 11:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Japan
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

I just put two more articles online today:
- Aikido - Unification of body and spirit
- The heart against the sword

All the best
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,111
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Quote:
John Burn wrote: View Post
Hi Nicholas,

My first aikido teacher was Tom Moss who's lineage was from Murashige sensei via Thielemans sensei, you could try contacting Tony Thielemans here... http://www.yamaarashi.be/

You might also try and contact Georges Stobbaerts as he was also in Belgium with Murashige sensei - http://www.tenchi-international.com/

I'm not sure but isn't Morihiko Murashige related?
Happy New Year to All.
Murashige Sensei [the father ] has two sons living in U.S.A.
I know them both. Mark/Morihiko Murashige 6th Dan Shihan trained /trains in San Diego.He is a excellent aikidoka. Last time saw him was in 2008 in San Diego when Doshu was visiting the U.S.A.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,111
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Quote:
Guillaume Erard wrote: View Post
Dear Henry and Joe, it is great to hear from you too. Best wishes for the year to come and I hope some more cooperation and articles between us

With the passing of Tamura Sensei and Sugano Sensei, I believe it is all the more important to try to recall and salvage all that we can from the old days.

I am too very interested in the conversation currently taking place on this thread since I have been a member of both Tamura and Nocquet senseis' federations and I have heard a lot of conflictual accounts regarding that period. I never quite figured out why so many Japanese sensei were sent to France by the Aikikai at that time...

All the best

G
Hi Guillaume,
If I can be of assistance in any way about early Uk aikido just drop me a line.I keep in touch with Mr Ellis[ Happy New Year , old pal]. We spend time chatting away about some of the old guys who are no longer with us.The early Japanese sensei are sad to say passing away .Kanai/Sugano /Yamaguchi/ A. Tohei/Saito /K.Abbe/Sekiya/Tamura Senseis. Great men .It was a honour to meet and practice with them. I do not forget the U.K guys such as Bill Smith, George Girvan, Mick Holloway, Ralph Reynolds , Tom Moss, Stuart Broughton, Ron Myers, Pat Butler Senseis , men who did so much for U.K. aikido.
Cheers, Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Amassus
 
Amassus's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
Location: Hamilton
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 305
New Zealand
Offline
Re: New exclusive articles and by André Nocquet, the first foreign uchi deshi of O Se

Guillaume.

Thank you for making those articles accessible. I have no knowledge of French aikido and I am finding your website interesting.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yoshinkai - Beyond the "Hard Style" Label Susan Dalton Columns 8 11-16-2011 06:53 AM
Steven Seagal Interview ad_adrian General 45 01-15-2010 03:34 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 12 Peter Goldsbury Columns 32 05-16-2009 06:05 PM
Omoto-kyo Theology senshincenter Spiritual 77 12-04-2005 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate