Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #51
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Location: Freiburg
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 323
Germany
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
It's funny how putting the cat in amongst the pigeons ruffles all these feathers..... I'm enjoying this......
Well, I am certainly finding it interesting to have put the bunny in amongst the bulldogs

... but I doubt Demetrio is a pigeon, by the way....

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 12-14-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #52
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
This is a bit inexact.
Honest !! I promise to try betterer in the future .

Henry Ellis

http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #53
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Location: Germany
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 69
Germany
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Hi Nick,

I'm not shure I got all the stuff... But you can enlighten me when I meet you next time...

I might have met one once on a Dan seminar... very shy creature... her attack was barely noticable. Makes it hard to use aiKIdo. So is there a subspecies called yudansha bunny?

Simone
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #54
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Henry,

It's funny how putting the cat in amongst the pigeons ruffles all these feathers..... I'm enjoying this......

Tony
Tony

The link shows one of my 4th kyu's trying to be exact by missing the point of Aikido, instead he is streathening his wrists and forearms as taught by Kenshiro Abe ~ Tadashi Abe ~ Masahilo Nakazono who also missed the point..I apologise now if I fail to be exact, the result of too many years of my childhood education spent in air raid shelters.
http://aikidoellisvideo.magnify.net/...of-Traditional

Henry

Henry Ellis
www.british-aikido.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #55
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,246
Spain
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
.I apologise now if I fail to be exact, the result of too many years of my childhood education spent in air raid shelters.
Don't need to apologize Ellis, I didn't know about the british government hiring piraha for teaching maths and French language to kids at that time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #56
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

The link shows one of my 4th kyu's trying to be exact by missing the point of Aikido, instead he is streathening his wrists and forearms as taught by Kenshiro Abe ~ Tadashi Abe ~ Masahilo Nakazono who also missed the point..I apologise now if I fail to be exact, the result of too many years of my childhood education spent in air raid shelters.
http://aikidoellisvideo.magnify.net/...of-Traditional

Henry

Henry Ellis
www.british-aikido.com
I was lucky not to have to experience that Henry.....

Exactly how I do 'em..... Well done that feller....!!!

Now I just turned 57 last June and its does me no harm at all!!.....

Tony

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 12-14-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #57
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
I was lucky not to have to experience that Henry.....

Exactly how I do 'em..... Well done that feller....!!!

Now I just turned 57 last June and its does me no harm at all!!.....

Tony
Tony

In the 1950s, each class would start with kicking and punching exercises, followed by 200 push-ups on the back of the wrists, bunny hops ( not aikibunny hops ) then general exercises.
Then hard practice.

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #58
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
Location: Stamford Connecticut
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 386
United_States
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Written in haste, "hubbie dear" needs his computer back, but
I wanted to say that since we are a"mixed marriage" in that
he is from Shotokan karate and I am from Aikido, we have some
great discussions based on what I read on Aikiweb. Now that
he has become a judo enthusiast and has recently added
weight training we really appreciate that part of this thread. He
also studied Aikido for a while, but the cabinet business is
very time consuming.....
Anyhow I found this thread an interesting
combination of cute (the pancake bunny) and serious history
and training content. I have a knee injury, probably not from
Aikido, and haven't trained much since the early eighties but
one of my friends took class with someone who was at
NYAikikai when I was there way back when, and she said he
told her approximately that i could throw people right along
with everyone else. It's good to know. Post injury, however
I did teach a class at an art loft, no rolling for safety reasons
in a makeshift facility, so Aikido can benefit many types of
people four out of five of us had some injury and were able
to do pretty good Aikido working around them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #59
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

In the 1950s, each class would start with kicking and punching exercises, followed by 200 push-ups on the back of the wrists, bunny hops ( not aikibunny hops ) then general exercises.
Then hard practice.

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Henry,

(Not to be attempted by those of a weak constitution)

Personally, I use 10 exercises that incorporate basic atemi using, back elbow thrust to the rear, tegatana block and cut down, knee thrust, thrust kicks (mae geri) from a full squat, heel of hand or palm thrust, side elbow strike, double punch (from my wing chun experience) and tsuki or reverse punch, tegatana shomen uchi and tegatana yokomen uchi , 40 - 50 of each followed by the unsoku and tandoku undo exercises used in T/S aikido. I still practice all of this now including bokken and jo suburi, I also incorporate isometric/Isotonic exercise for my own use, and to those interested.

In the dojo conditioning exercises as most T/S dojo's including the b.o.w. press ups, sit ups, and so forth (I might add not 200!! but around 30 - 50 depending on dojo facility time factors!!) This is usually followed by a 3/4 hours of randori and 3/4 hours of kata, stretching at the end and misogi for one minute to calm the mind.....
Followed by a well earnt pint at the nearest watering hole......
How's that?
Hope you approve Sensei.....

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #60
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Written in haste, "hubbie dear" needs his computer back, but
I wanted to say that since we are a"mixed marriage" in that
he is from Shotokan karate and I am from Aikido, we have some
great discussions based on what I read on Aikiweb. Now that
he has become a judo enthusiast and has recently added
weight training we really appreciate that part of this thread. He
also studied Aikido for a while, but the cabinet business is
very time consuming.....
Anyhow I found this thread an interesting
combination of cute (the pancake bunny) and serious history
and training content. I have a knee injury, probably not from
Aikido, and haven't trained much since the early eighties but
one of my friends took class with someone who was at
NYAikikai when I was there way back when, and she said he
told her approximately that i could throw people right along
with everyone else. It's good to know. Post injury, however
I did teach a class at an art loft, no rolling for safety reasons
in a makeshift facility, so Aikido can benefit many types of
people four out of five of us had some injury and were able
to do pretty good Aikido working around them.
You can.... if you put your mind to it....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #61
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Henry,

(Not to be attempted by those of a weak constitution)

Personally, I use 10 exercises that incorporate basic atemi using, back elbow thrust to the rear, tegatana block and cut down, knee thrust, thrust kicks (mae geri) from a full squat, heel of hand or palm thrust, side elbow strike, double punch (from my wing chun experience) and tsuki or reverse punch, tegatana shomen uchi and tegatana yokomen uchi , 40 - 50 of each followed by the unsoku and tandoku undo exercises used in T/S aikido. I still practice all of this now including bokken and jo suburi, I also incorporate isometric/Isotonic exercise for my own use, and to those interested.

In the dojo conditioning exercises as most T/S dojo's including the b.o.w. press ups, sit ups, and so forth (I might add not 200!! but around 30 - 50 depending on dojo facility time factors!!) This is usually followed by a 3/4 hours of randori and 3/4 hours of kata, stretching at the end and misogi for one minute to calm the mind.....
Followed by a well earnt pint at the nearest watering hole......
How's that?
Hope you approve Sensei.....

Tony
Tony

Although the old " Hut Dojo " was in a hut, It was actually at the back of an old pub named " The Hut "..The name of the dojo was the " Abbe School of Budo" and the birthplace of Aikido in the UK.
It was known far and wide simply as " The Hut" . After the hard training we only had to drag our tired bodies a few yards into the pub and a welcome pint of bitter.
I have shared a pint in the Hut Pub with some legends of Budo.
Kenshiro Abbe ~ Tadashi Abe ~ H Kobayashi ~ Masahilo Nakazono ~ Masamichi Noro ~ M Harada ~ M Otani ~ T Otani ~
TK Chiba ............I need a pint now

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #62
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

Although the old " Hut Dojo " was in a hut, It was actually at the back of an old pub named " The Hut "..The name of the dojo was the " Abbe School of Budo" and the birthplace of Aikido in the UK.
It was known far and wide simply as " The Hut" . After the hard training we only had to drag our tired bodies a few yards into the pub and a welcome pint of bitter.
I have shared a pint in the Hut Pub with some legends of Budo.
Kenshiro Abbe ~ Tadashi Abe ~ H Kobayashi ~ Masahilo Nakazono ~ Masamichi Noro ~ M Harada ~ M Otani ~ T Otani ~
TK Chiba ............I need a pint now

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
Am I buying?....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #63
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Am I buying?....
YES !! At long last.

Henry Ellis
http://kenshiroabbe.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #64
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Aiki bunnies = all the aikidoka born in 1999, 1987, 1975, 1963, 1951, 1939, 1927 and 1915.

Have a good 2011 - it will be your year.

http://japanese.about.com/od/japanes...1/a/100498.htm
Well I'm a snake then, so bunnies watch out for my fangs or I could be an anaconda and squeeze the living daylight's out of 'em..... slither.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #65
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
Location: Los Angeles, California
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 371
United_States
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Chomp!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #66
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Chomp!
Bang!!
Happy Crimbo Francis....

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #67
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,604
United_States
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Since Stan Pranin's aiki news came up in another thread, I was going through all my old copies and found a great editorial article in the January 8, 1977 copy of Aikinews (issue 21). Starts on page 2. It involves a conversation Stan Pranin had with Kazuo Chiba and Bruck Klickstein on the necessity for "confrontation" between partners during training.

Just thought I'd pass along the reference. If you don't have old copies or don't have the DVD with the complete archives, you can get it on the aikidojournal.com website I believe (you may need to be a member). Anyway, due to a couple discussions here recently I've been rereading the old aikinews chronologically from oldest to newest. Kinda interesting to jump back to the early 70's and slowly move forward.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #68
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Location: Bracknell
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 642
England
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Well I'm a snake then, so bunnies watch out for my fangs or I could be an anaconda and squeeze the living daylight's out of 'em..... slither.....
Tony

Perhaps the only answer to the Aiki Bunnies is a virus such as Aiki-Myxomatosis ??

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #69
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
Location: Stamford Connecticut
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 386
United_States
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
You can.... if you put your mind to it....
Just got back online and want to thank Sensei Wagstaffe for the
reminder. Hard to get to dojo in this weather, truck off the road at
the moment, so "hubbie dear" agreed to train in the front
entryway.
This way I might be able to visit the local dojo after
working on some techniques here. I'd really like to train again, and
if I get back in shape people might not mind if I can't do ukemi
due to sciatica (I'm 66) as long as I do the other stuff o.k.

We're thinking of doing the standing kokyu ho exercise and the
various koshi nage (without the ukemi) for now to start with ., since my husband is fascinated by judo I thought he would like that one if I can remember it from nidan test. (My book is in my brother's storage locker, still haven;t got everyone's stuff sorted out.)
Our friend Ray is back in town so when transpo situation is better
we will drop down to his dojo for a visit.

We will study the atemi list and work on some of them too,
so thanks again.

By the way, I'm monkey year so tend to be a little disorganized
but at least our year tends to have enthusiasm I will put my
mind to it and focus. I'm embarrassed to have been out of
training so long but I hope this time I'm back for good. No
excuse, since hubbie dear can uke and there's a dojo in town
when we can get back there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #70
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

Perhaps the only answer to the Aiki Bunnies is a virus such as Aiki-Myxomatosis ??

Henry

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Me thinks Henry that you are reading my mind.........

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #71
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Just got back online and want to thank Sensei Wagstaffe for the
reminder. Hard to get to dojo in this weather, truck off the road at
the moment, so "hubbie dear" agreed to train in the front
entryway.
This way I might be able to visit the local dojo after
working on some techniques here. I'd really like to train again, and
if I get back in shape people might not mind if I can't do ukemi
due to sciatica (I'm 66) as long as I do the other stuff o.k.

We're thinking of doing the standing kokyu ho exercise and the
various koshi nage (without the ukemi) for now to start with ., since my husband is fascinated by judo I thought he would like that one if I can remember it from nidan test. (My book is in my brother's storage locker, still haven;t got everyone's stuff sorted out.)
Our friend Ray is back in town so when transpo situation is better
we will drop down to his dojo for a visit.

We will study the atemi list and work on some of them too,
so thanks again.

By the way, I'm monkey year so tend to be a little disorganized
but at least our year tends to have enthusiasm I will put my
mind to it and focus. I'm embarrassed to have been out of
training so long but I hope this time I'm back for good. No
excuse, since hubbie dear can uke and there's a dojo in town
when we can get back there.
If and when you get around to doing your atemi practice, start of soft and gradually work up till you can deliver your atemi with speed. Feel you have weight in your hands as though you are hitting with a hammer, its important to stay relaxed and use your hips to great effect, learn to focus your strikes at the end... When you feel you are getting this it's good to use a bag of sorts, not too heavy, (thinking about your age here) this will strengthen your wrists and teach you alignment, but again start of soft and feel your way into the bag or have your dear husband hold something for you to hit....
Just use your ingenuity a bit.... I'm sure you will manage
Press ups are good way to strengthen the wrists and is a good body core exercise. If ya can'y do the full press up do it from the knees or at an angle you can cope with, like using a chair to support you.....
I find gravity stretching good for the back ....
That is stand with your feet shoulder width apart, bend forward from the hip and allow gravity to stretch your spine by breathing in and out deeply, do this for at least 60 breaths.... works wonders!!

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #72
Ian Keane
Dojo: Aikido Arts Center of Santa Fe
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
United_States
Offline
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Well I'm a snake then, so bunnies watch out for my fangs or I could be an anaconda and squeeze the living daylight's out of 'em..... slither.....
aiki-bunny vs. anaconda
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate