Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #51
Ian Keane
Dojo: Aikido Arts Center of Santa Fe
United_States
Re: aikido is...

...a little tweeting bird chirping in meadow.

...a wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #52
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

A lot of great suggestions. Not as many as I expected about the martial side of aikido, maybe.

Two more suggestions. One of my friends used to say: Aikido is freedom

And I mentioned in another thread a very cool definition of yoga that an Indian budoka told me and I think it's just as applicable to aikido: Aikido is unity with reality

So I liked a lot of the suggestions almost equally but I finally decided to go with Mark Uttech's

Aikido is ageless harmony

(and I suggested timeless as a possible alternative to ageless - I like both).

Thanks to everyone who participated!

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #53
guest1234567
Spain

Yes very nice I think it is the best
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #54
Benjamin Mehner
Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai, Zen Bu Kan
United_States

To the OP:

Ai- harmony
Ki- umm, well, ki
Do- way

I would say it is "The Way of Harmonizing Ki", but if you really want to know what it is just grab the wrist of someone with much more experience than I and ask them to show you.

Let silence be my mantra.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #55
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

You should have checked the profile of the OP

Quote:
Benjamin Mehner wrote: View Post
To the OP:

Ai- harmony
Ki- umm, well, ki
Do- way

I would say it is "The Way of Harmonizing Ki", but if you really want to know what it is just grab the wrist of someone with much more experience than I and ask them to show you.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #56
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Mere words cannot fully covey everything that aikido is because aikido is everything.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #57
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Mere words cannot fully covey everything that aikido is because aikido is everything.
Aikido is a hot dog?
Aikido is a manatee?
Aikido is a locomotive?
Aikido is the color blue?
Aikido is Mozart's "Requiem"?
Aikido is all of these things, each of which existed before aikido was ever thought of?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #58
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Aikido is a hot dog?
Aikido is a manatee?
Aikido is a locomotive?
Aikido is all of these things, each of which existed before aikido was ever thought of?
...did the colour blue exist before 'colour' and 'blue' were ever thought of?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #59
Benjamin Mehner
Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai, Zen Bu Kan
United_States

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
You should have checked the profile of the OP
I just did and am quite impressed, but I think you misunderstood me.

I didn't mean to suggest that the OP didn't know what the word Aikido literally means I was just trying to answer the question. I also didn't mean to imply that they are unskilled or inexperienced. I meant the proverbial "you" when I said that you should ask someone to show you what Aikido is by grabbing their wrist.

Just another case of things not coming across in a clear fashion over the internet. I'm just beginning my journey in the world of martial arts, and I feel humbled by the presence of so many great practitioners on this forum.

Let silence be my mantra.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #60
RED
United_States

Quote:
Aikido is a manatee?
What ISN'T a manatee?!!!

MM
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #61
lbb
United_States

Koan: an apparently nonsensical or paradoxical question whose contemplation is intended to break down barriers that typical deductive thought does not address.

Pseudo-koan: a deliberately nonsensical question that is intended to appear "zen", but that is in fact simple nonsense and an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of those who are afraid to be the first one to say that the emperor has no clothes.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #62
Hanna B
Sweden

Aikido is the art that comes from the teachings of Morihei Ueshiba.

Most other definitions are IMHO flowery descriptions that are true to some aikido practitioners and not to others. Most of these definitions of aikido lead to the unevitable conclusion that most people who say they practise aikido, actually don't.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #63
MM
United_States

Wonder if this is what Ueshiba would have replied.

Aiki is a body that is centrally held amidst infinite contradictory spirals. Aikido, then, is a person who has become aiki such that they become the bridge between microcosm and macrocosm.

A neutral atom has an equal number of protons and electrons. Protons have two up quarks and one down quark. A neutron has one up quark and two down quarks. A neutral atom is centrally held amidst contradictory forces.

The universe is the subatomic taken to a grand scale.

They are the beginning and the end and vice versa. By our very life, we are the bridge between. What happens within us, happens on the level of the atom. And what we do, in some small manner affects the Universe.

With aiki, we become centrally held amidst contradictory spirals in a world both interacting with us and within us. The one interacting becomes the ion. Where we go, they follow. As the Earth revolves, so it takes the moon. As the galaxy travels, it moves amidst the Universe. In that course, the interacting one becomes stable. An ion no more, but part of the centrally held contradictory equilibrium.

As you become the Universe, those interacting become part of a larger body. A body still centrally held, but ever expanding as those energies from interacting people expand. You begin to hold the Universe in your hara as you are the macrocosm while adhering to the microcosm of a neutral atom.

As you/Universe are stable, so then are those who interact with you. There is no crashing of planetary bodies, but a stable rotation around a centrally held body/you/Universe. There are no ions as all is a balanced charge. The energy in one direction equals the energy in the opposite direction.

By the correction of one's mind to becoming the Universe, peace is exhibited. Fear is banished and the Universe is in accord. This is the spiritual overlaying of the physical aiki, where one's body cannot be moved, one's body moves freely under pressure, and all forces are directed appropriately.

By becoming the Universe, one becomes both Heaven and Earth. Dual forces/contradictory forces centrally held amidst you. As you/Universe moves, spontaneous techniques are born in the physical world. Spirituality is shown through physical actions as bu. One need not destroy physically as that would be against the spirituality and introduce conflict or ionization. The spirit becomes pronounced and the physical goes away. Spontaneous techniques are formed but you only have the feeling that you did not really do anything. You have united all that have come into contact with you with no fighting or resistance.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #64
C. David Henderson
United_States

Hi Hanna,

Care to elaborate?

I can see why you would say that Aikido "comes from the teachings of Morihei Ueshiba," and I'd have to agree that descriptions about what "Aikido is" are often personal and (however expressed) "true to some aikido practitioners and not to others."

Here's what I'm not sure I understand.

Accepting that aikido may be described as the martial art that "comes from the teachings of Morihei Ueshiba," at what point can we say that "descriptions that are true to some aikido practitioners and not to others" so depart from those teaching that it no longer "comes from" those teachings, but has "departed" from them so that the result is a different species of budo or quasi- or ersatz- budo?

I am interested in your own view, but at the same time I wonder whether this isn't also an area where any attempt to delineate boundaries will be "true to some aikido practitioners and not to others."

Since O Sensei is no longer alive, who would arbitrate such a dispute?

David Henderson
Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #65
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Aikido is a hot dog?
Aikido is a manatee?
Aikido is a locomotive?
Yes.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #66
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Yes.
I beg your pardon, but that's nonsense.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #67
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
I beg your pardon, but that's nonsense.
Pardon granted I agree.. it is utter nonsense. To you, maybe to everyone else too. To me it makes perfect sense.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #68
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Pardon granted I agree.. it is utter nonsense. To you, maybe to everyone else too. To me it makes perfect sense.
Perhaps you can explain it, then. What you are saying sounds like an assertion that two plus two equals five: however boldly you assert it, there's no evidence supporting it and a lot going against it. How can aikido be everything, including things that existed long before aikido?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #69
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
How can aikido be everything, including things that existed long before aikido?
...because they are part of the universe, and the universe is 'The way of harmony'...?

I can recommend some books on Taoism, Zen, and Buddhism if you'd like to learn about this kind of stuff.
I can even recommend some Western philosophy that touches on these kinds of ideas, if you want?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #70
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Perhaps you can explain it, then. What you are saying sounds like an assertion that two plus two equals five: however boldly you assert it, there's no evidence supporting it and a lot going against it. How can aikido be everything, including things that existed long before aikido?
Can you prove that they are not aikido?

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
...because they are part of the universe, and the universe is 'The way of harmony'...?
yes exactly so.

and I am always looking for good reading materiel.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 11-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #71
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Can you prove that they are not aikido?

yes exactly so.

and I am always looking for good reading materiel.
Haha. Well I started reading Dhammapada yesterday, and it confirms, for me, the effortless superiority of Eastern 'religion' over Western.

Aside from that: Schopenhauer, who fused the Eastern and Western traditions; I would liken his writing to very good aikido, haha: it leads you, effortlessly - but without the feeling you are being led. He just makes perfect sense (as true aikido does )...

I also love Marcus Aurelius: touching stuff - and a real insight into the way to treat the fluctuations of life.

And Voltaire's Candide: hilarious, sardonic, and again: it speaks to the truth of life - very 'aiki', hahaha.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #72
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

And what does kannagara no michi have to do with all of this an zen?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #73
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
And what does kannagara no michi have to do with all of this an zen?
Religious-philosophical vale tudo FTW!!!

... but you shoulda gree that statements like eastern 'religion' being superior to western are full of win and awesomeness.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #74
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
... but you should agree that statements like eastern 'religion' being superior to western are full of win and awesomeness.
Edit:

Even if you consider, for example, the Koran. This wretched book was sufficient to found a religion of the world, to satisfy the metaphysical need of innumerable millions of men for twelve hundred years, to become the foundation of their morality, and of no small contempt for death, and also to inspire them to bloody wars and most extended conquests. We find in it the saddest and the poorest form of Theism. Much may be lost through the translations; but I have not been able to discover one single valuable thought in it.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #75
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Then you will have to read it again with the aid of an scholar

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!