Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
davider90
Dojo: Harstad aikidoklubb (Harstad aikido dojo)
Norway
Question Anyone know this ukemi?

Hi everybody! Does anyone know the name of this ukemi and how it is practised? I've only seen it once or twice before, and it's simply mind blowing . If i'm not wrong this is a ukemi for Iriminage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhg3...eature=related

This will be my first post in this forum so be nice!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: Anyone know this ukemi?

Quote:
David Bendiksen wrote: View Post
Hi everybody! Does anyone know the name of this ukemi and how it is practised? I've only seen it once or twice before, and it's simply mind blowing . If i'm not wrong this is a ukemi for Iriminage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhg3...eature=related

This will be my first post in this forum so be nice!
Check out the "neko ukemi" thread in this forum. This is the backward version of that.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
C. David Henderson
United_States

Yep. What Willi said.

When nage enters directly as shown in the clip, I perform something like this fall to avoid being struck in the face. Most times I've taken this kind of ukemi, I confess, the landings were a bit less soft, especially when I didn't know what was coming ahead of time.

(BTW that's one reason I personally think its important to have learned how to slap WELL, as that allows one to dissipate force effectively with a less artful execution of the fall. Or, more simply, "so I don't get hurt." And, like most things, for me to learn anything well, its been necessary to practice it a lot.)

YMMV

David Henderson
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
RED
United_States

Its kick up ukemi. It allows your committed attack to continue going forward. Technically backing up from a direct irimi can get you hit in the face, so this technique lets you continue moving forward.

We've been training in this. You got to basically get the across the shoulders/back in the end.
It can be started by entering for a direct irimi. Hook the arm closest to nage on nage's shoulder or arm, kick the leg furthest from nage out and around like you are gonna kick nage in the head. This should put you in a position to forward roll, barrel roll or take a wide leg fall.
Either way it keeps the momentum moving forward and gets you under nage's shoulder quick so you don't get smacked in the face.

Eventually you would progress in this form until you can kick both legs up at once and roll across the shoulders/back. But you can start learning the form for kick up ukemi by doing what I described above.

Even if you never get to the point where both legs can kick up, one leg kicking up is effective too, and is good for a type of ukemi you will use once every so often...nice to have in the bag of tricks.
Peace,

Last edited by RED : 10-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.

MM
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Basia Halliop
Canada

I've seen something that looks to me to be similar used for some iriminages when nage has unbalanced uke such that their head and spine are bent backwards and then threw rapidly straight down in such a way that neither a back roll nor rotating the body for a forward-facing breakfall are possible. I.e., the head is going down so the rest of the body has to find a way to adjust safely to that.

I've also seen (and tried) more like in the video, but only as a practice exercise for people trying to learn the type of ukemi so they can later apply to someone throwing them.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
USFAikidoka

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=p_aBRhXoqUo

This is how we teach and build up to this kind of ukemi in my dojo.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
davider90
Dojo: Harstad aikidoklubb (Harstad aikido dojo)
Norway

Hey guys, thank you all for replying!
I actually found this somewhat instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XMLYbR68Tw
I can't imagine myself actually doing that so soft and smooth . Guess i've got to practise a while longer before mastering this one.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Paul Crawley
Australia

Hey David, that instructional video is actually one that my girlfriend and I made in when in Brasil (not us on screen though). Both this and the original video you cited come from the same school but different dojo in Sao Paulo.

For those who practice this ukemi, do you know the reason for uke to face away from nage during the fall? i.e. outside hand down first as opposed to inside hand first.

I notice Donovan Waite Sensei teaches inside hand first (which keeps contact with nage longer, I believe), while the USF aikido (via Frank Ostoff Sensei?) teach outside hand first. Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
cguzik

Here is a training video from USF Aikido in Tampa, FL for this type of ukemi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_aBR...eature=feedrec
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
I notice Donovan Waite Sensei teaches inside hand first (which keeps contact with nage longer, I believe), while the USF aikido (via Frank Ostoff Sensei?) teach outside hand first. Any thoughts?
Just a thought... but I wonder if those dojos tend to have differences in the most common way they throw the iriminage or other technique that requires this ukemi? A difference in the throw might quite naturally lead to a difference in the ukemi, at least as far as I've seen.

I don't know if that's the case here, just thinking.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Quote:
Paul Crawley wrote: View Post

For those who practice this ukemi, do you know the reason for uke to face away from nage during the fall? i.e. outside hand down first as opposed to inside hand first.
You'll take this type of ukemi typically from ura iriminage, as you lose your footing which foot comes up first dictates which side you'll be landing on.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
USFAikidoka

The reason we do not turn to face nage is because we can't. The way we do irimi nage is to control the neck which is clamped to the shoulder thus making an uke unable to turn out of the technique.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Melchizedek

Dojo: Phil. Aikikai/Santiago Aikido Club
Philippines

Yoko Ukemi or side fall.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!