Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: training kids in Aikido

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
One of my girls started at five and a half, and she also had a natural talent for all sorts of ukemi...... and at the age of eight she dropped out because she said aikido was nice to watch but hurted the joints too much.
At that age, I would think training would be nice to her joints. Even up until 16 (and a bit beyond) in our dojo we are careful about what techniques we do with younger people because we don't want to injur their still growing joints.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
Mark Gibbons
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
At that age, I would think training would be nice to her joints. Even up until 16 (and a bit beyond) in our dojo we are careful about what techniques we do with younger people because we don't want to injur their still growing joints.
I think where I train we are careful about how we do the techniques rather than worrying so much about which techniques. With the understanding that the techniques taught kids are usually kihon taught to 2nd queue and under. We have plenty of folks with delicate arthritic wrists. We still do sankyo.

Kids get taught the same techniques as the adult classes as far as I can tell. The instructors do watch really closely for size and attitude mismatches. I know I've had my share of discussions with the kids about things that would really hurt and things that would really damage someone. We've had a lot of the 10 -12 year olds on the mat at Seminars. They can handle and dish out more than most people give them credit for. I think there are other reasons Aikido might not be a good fit for some kids. But few things fit everone.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Slow and steady. Always slow.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #29
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
I think the argument here is how much can you alter aikido training for children before it stops being what we know as aikido.
Well, it's not like there's a concise view on that to begin with...And how many of us have an altered training from that of the guy who more or less defined what "Aikido" is?
At what point does the student get to call what he or she does, "Aikido?"
Quote:
I think the focus of early martial training should be body awareness, coordination, discipline, and routine. To be honest, I believe there are tumbling classes, gymnastic classes, dance classes and a variety of other programs that better suited to accomplishing those goals than modifying aikido. Let alone other arts like wrestling, judo, karate, tai kwon do, etc.
Again, i think it depends on a lot more than what tradition of learning one happens to practice: There are bad gymnastics teachers; I remember being told to roll on my spine in the tumbling classes I went to as a wee lad. Furthermore, try getting some boys to be happy about going to gymnastics. Natural motivators, which vary from child to child, are a major factor to consider I think...not to say it can't work against you sometimes too (thinking of the disappointed looks when I told my students to stop having light-saber duels).

Quote:
If you are in a situation where no other alternatives exist, sure, modified aikido works. But I don't advocate pushing children into aikido because you want them to train aikido.
I agree completely. I always saw a huge difference in the motivation and focus of my students who wanted to train and those whose parents pushed them...then again that's how I fell in love with soccer (mom definately pushed me to play when I didn't want to). It all depends.

Quote:
And I can tell you for a fact I will NEVER take a dance lesson as an adult, but sure enough there is proof out there of my 5-year old rehearsal when I am dancing in an Elvis costume like a fool. Seriously. It's not funny.
From this glass house it's absolutely hilarious!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #30
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

In my dojo, my wife teaches the youngsters from 8 till 12 years.
To what extend can we call this true Aikido? Tough one.
We teach them to have respect for life, all life. The aim is not to hurt eachother, but learn with eachother. Respect the ability of others and yourself. That works wonderfully well.

Can you compare their Aikido to 'ours'? No. But I think should not either. How well does the Aikido of a beginner compare to that of a shihan? Be honest: probably just as bad.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #31
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido

At our club, we have a class on Tuesday and it is mostly kids (kyuu ranks.) The other kids are 7,9,10 and me, the oldest at 14. So, yes Aikido is very much a Martial Art suited for kids.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #32
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I use aikido as part of my phys Ed curriculum, 2nd grade and up. Lots of arm swinging, with one partnered technique at the end. Just getting them to know that aikido exists is a major accomplishment.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!