Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Careful: Google never forgives...or forgets

I have an admission of sorts to make.

When I first signed up for Aikiweb (lo, these many years ago? 2002? 2000? 1753?), I was young and dumb. Now that I'm slightly less young ( ), it occurs to me that I may have said some pretty dang stupid things in the course of a decade's worth of learning.

Unfortunately, Google doesn't account for youthful indiscretion. (And hey, who knew Google would be so...Orwellian a decade on?), so there's no point in begging for forgiveness from them

OTOH, please indulge me when I say: any truly remarkable idiocy posted under my screen-name (which is now wonderfully archived)? My bad.

A wizard did it

Last edited by bob_stra : 11-22-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Careful: Google never forgives...or forgets

Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Haha... Yeah. People always say you shouldn't post anything on the Internet (or send it in an email) that you wouldn't want to see tomorrow on the company bulletin board.

They forget to add "... ever."

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

lol..yeah...there is stuff I typed back in 1996 out there and my opinions have matured/changed quite a bit since then!

Nothing wrong with saying, yeah well...I was wrong!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Wasn't it Churchill that said something like: it's better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?

...Although personally I hold the opposite to be true. How else can I be called on my BS after all?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Actually I've long been an advocate of saying what you think and acknowledging that your knowledge/maturity/depth/etc. will change over time. I'd rather see growth, improvement, etc. over the years. I was pretty open about sharing my learning experience when I first started doing the sword crafts. I put it out there. I let people read what I was doing. I took criticism. And at least some of the time I managed to learn from it. Sure, I sometimes see old things I wrote and I cringe at some things. But on the other hand it shows how far my understanding has come. It also is a vivid reminder that (hopefully) sometime 10 years from now I'll be cringing at what I'm doing now... That will show growth and improvement.

I have had people toss things at me that they read years ago. Yup, I wrote it. And yes, I've been working on my sword stuff in particular full time ever since. And yes, today my understanding is (I hope) vastly richer, deeper and more nuanced. Hopefully 10 years hence it will be even better.

So damn the torpedoes -- full speed ahead!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I should also add that putting my progression on display over all those years helped me earn the attention of people who would never have otherwise helped me along. Seeing I was serious, seeing I was focused, seeing I was willing to toss everything I thought I knew and rebuild from the ground up. Or as a good friend of mine says, I managed to prove that I had put in the sweat equity. And as such I wasn't just some casual wanker that comes along one year, vanishing the next. I was in it for the long haul and committed to getting wherever it took me.

That opens a lot of doors that normally stay tightly shut. Especially in a world as small as the one I'm working in.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Keith, my experiences as well.

I actually HOPE that someone will challenge my comment, thoughts and declarations so I can see how well they stand up against a counterpoint!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
thisisnotreal

the interweb are great and there will never be anything bad about them remembering everything we ever do. er..
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
dps

Oh Oh !! Neither do ninjas!!!

David

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
I have an admission of sorts to make.

When I first signed up for Aikiweb (lo, these many years ago? 2002? 2000? 1753?), I was young and dumb. Now that I'm slightly less young ( ), it occurs to me that I may have said some pretty dang stupid things in the course of a decade's worth of learning.

Unfortunately, Google doesn't account for youthful indiscretion. (And hey, who knew Google would be so...Orwellian a decade on?), so there's no point in begging for forgiveness from them

OTOH, please indulge me when I say: any truly remarkable idiocy posted under my screen-name (which is now wonderfully archived)? My bad.

A wizard did it

hi Bob,
Speaking of orwellian, that's nothing...check this out::
Google, CIA Invests in future of Web Monitoring

This is my favorite part
Quote:
The investment arms of the CIA and Google are both backing a company that monitors the web in real time — and says it uses that information to predict the future.

The company is called Recorded Future, and it scours tens of thousands of websites, blogs and Twitter accounts to find the relationships between people, organizations, actions and incidents — both present and still-to-come. In a white paper, the company says its temporal analytics engine "goes beyond search" by "looking at the ‘invisible links' between documents that talk about the same, or related, entities and events."

The idea is to figure out for each incident who was involved, where it happened and when it might go down. Recorded Future then plots that chatter, showing online "momentum" for any given event.

"The cool thing is, you can actually predict the curve, in many cases," says company CEO Christopher Ahlberg, a former Swedish Army Ranger with a PhD in computer science.

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...#ixzz0vYrev8wS
i like the discussion at the bottom of that link too.
..something something minority report something something

Is this a good thing? Is that question moot? too late for pandora's box?
If this is published now; do we expect state-of-the-art to be more advanced? Is this good?
Is such a system foolproof? Is it possible to plant redherrings/false intel?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post

Oh Oh !! Neither do ninjas!!!

David
No Google never ever forgets. And Now...it can remember forwards in time. Astonishing...but not completely surprising.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
gdandscompserv

United_States

YES!
all, please forgive all of my uninformed posts. it was a wizard.
from my past

Old 08-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

I wonder what the fall out will be in the politcal scene in 20 years.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I wonder what the fall out will be in the politcal scene in 20 years.
While it is easier than ever to dig dirt on someone, it seems like it is much harder than ever to make stuff stick. If the old media doesn't want to carry the story anymore, it flops. I thought the oil spill coverage was going to go on indefinitely, and then overnight, it's gone. WikiLeaks stuff lasted a day at best and only seemed to be covered grudgingly. It's ammunition for the media to use at its own discretion, and its discretion seems pretty bad.

But maybe we're becoming more tolerant of past indiscretions too. Bill Clinton's "I didn't inhale" antics caused a firestorm, GWB's alcoholism and drug abuse got some concerned mentions but carried no momentum, and Barrack Obama's youthful marijuana and cocaine use almost didn't even register. Once the playbook gets repetitive, the tactics lose their effectiveness. Maybe there's hope?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Wasn't it Churchill that said something like: [i]it's better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I had a reply here but I'm going to observe that advice (usually attributed to Mark Twain or Abraham Lincoln).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
DonMagee
United_States

I'm always correct. It's reality that keeps changing.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!