Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
MM
United_States
shinto and ki

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
Hello everyone,

may I suggest a Shinto perspective re: Sunshine and Ki

Basic of Shinto is to respect and revere the Generative Cosmic Vitality of the Sun as our ultimate parent. A way to think of the word for human being: hito is Hi=sun and to= tomeru to stop. Sun stop suggests the thinking that our human forms are temporary resting places for divine solar Ki. If we can understand this deeply we can have true understanding of the Shinto thinking that was the root of Aiki.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu
K. Barrish
America Tsubaki Okami Yashiro Kannushi
Just a thought ... if the kami are viewed as spirits which live in this world alongside us, then perhaps these spirits can be, literally, alive. And part of the beliefs is a system of knowledge by which people can, in some manner, communicate, see, hear, touch, etc these spirits. Certain areas, for whatever reason, resonate with a closer bond with the kami.

Just as some people state that a guardian angel saved them, then perhaps it is equivalent that the kami have helped some people in some manner. Although with kami, there is necessarily a much wider range of spirits than just guardian angels.

Rites from ages ago, through the long years, have most likely been hollowed out and have lost their original function. They are most likely a form to follow and as such, most probably think of kami in a general sense, apart from reality.

What if the spirits that have been called kami were real, not figments of imagination for a cultural religion? What if there were various types of spirits? What if those older rites and practices could actually do what was intended: communicate, see, hear, touch, control, possess, etc?

What is now looked upon as form and words, just as ki is looked upon as this "magical" energy, could have been at one time teachings to actually accomplish specific things in regards to kami, just as many are learning that aiki is a concrete teaching to change the body.

I don't know much about anything, especially shinto or kami ... just some musings I thought I'd toss out there.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: shinto and ki

Hi Mark - I would say that you bring up some interesting, and to some, potentially very important questions and ideas.

Some of the answers, I believe, can be found in authentic (which is somewhat rare) Shamanic study/practice.

One of the notions that I think it is important to entertain in this light, that I think you are bringing to the table here, is, what if O Sensei's Aiki and Aikido were actually, **literally and practically** informed by something transpersonal/spiritual.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: shinto and ki

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
What is now looked upon as form and words, just as ki is looked upon as this "magical" energy, could have been at one time teachings to actually accomplish specific things in regards to kami, just as many are learning that aiki is a concrete teaching to change the body.

I don't know much about anything, especially shinto or kami ... just some musings I thought I'd toss out there.
I liked this last part. It reminded me of something that occurred to me about science and old ladies trying to keep their houses warm in winter. The old ladies do all kinds of things to "keep the cold out". They imagine cold as an actual thing that creeps into their house through all the cracks and areas that aren't protected from it. You could say that this is a scientifically inaccurate way of looking at cold.

But it works.

Another way of writing 人 hito (person) is 霊止 hi-to (spirit + stop). As the reverend pointed out, hi can also mean sun.

To die is shinu 死ぬ which can be written 霊去 shi-nu (spirit + leave) which has the feeling of the spirit "going back".

From here, things get very deep.