Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Getting Your Mind Ready. Fast.

Along the lines of what Dr. Seiser posted... My trigger is when I bow at the entrance to the dojo. At was pounded into me from the very beginning that you need to be focused and ready to train the moment you enter. The "dojo" is where you go to train. It is where you go and allow others to train with you. It is where others offer up their bodies and experience to help you train. So there is a moment just before I walk in that I settle myself a bit, stop, and then bow with deep intent. Okay, I'm ready. Enter. And that feeling shouldn't leave until I am back at the door. Then I do exactly the same thing there.

For me the dojo is a refuge of sorts. Keeping that intent allows me to focus as much as possible when I'm there. It isn't always possible, but that is the goal.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
CurtisK
Dojo: Aikikai Victoria
Canada

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Indeed. It's a learned skill to set aside problems that you can't currently address, and to pick them up again when you can address them...
Yes, exactly; thank you for clarifying the point. I'm happy working on it on my own with my class, and am not even particularly in a hurry to do anything better or faster. Figured it made a good topic and felt like validating the existence of the forum (not that it needs me to), learning what I can

Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
Thomas Christaller
Dojo: Zentrum fuer Bewegung & Lebenskunst/Bonn
Germany

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hello Curtis,
This may not be the answer you require .My teacher states that it is essential that you as a student acquire the following;
1.To leave 'baggage ' at the door of the dojo.That is to say dont bring you everyday problems onto the mat.We are training in Aikido not attending therapy sessions.
2.Cultivate a mind that is like an undyed piece of silk.By this my teacher means view the techniques as though you have just seen them for the first time. ...
Cheers, Joe.
I agree to these two essential points. Here I would share with you my "habits" to get ready:
It starts when I change clothes. I try to do this very carefully and to concentrate completely on this. When entering the dojo I try to get the whole scenario into my awareness, my gaze is like a fisher's net to catch everything and everybody. Then I move along the left side and towards the center of the dojo, kneeling at the side for some seconds. This is my checking of my body status. Then I move towards the place in front of the photograph of O-Sensei, kneeling down and breathing in and out several times. With a clear and sharp movement I turn around towards the class and bow. All these movements are kind of meditation, calming down, get rid of everything even what I planned to teach or practice in this lecture. After bowing to the class it is intuitively clear to me how the lecture will start.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com