Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #126
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Gay Aikido People? NORTHEN UK

YIKES. Must have hit a hot button. Sorry if that line offends, I certainly didn't mean any offense by it.

Let me re-phrase: I don't think that you have to march down the street carrying a sign post to stand up and oppose injustice. Most often you can do it in small, quiet, persistant ways.

Pardon any canards...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #127
DH
United_States
Re: Gay Aikido People? Northern UK

Hi Ron
While that is true, I think at a certain point action on a national level needs to go along with personal witness. After all the years, long years, It really took Martin Luther King to Be the galvanizing voice that lead both Back and whites into the streets. It was also the burgioning of a new era with Television broadcasting all the hatred, the dogs being let loose on moms and the elderly protesters to make complacent people wake up. So it is with gay rights. People sometimes need a personal contact that speaks to them to break steriotypcial views they often were raised with. But a national voice to lead goes a long way for national change.
It is unfortunate that we often let the media now choose our leaders. Why? They make spokesman out of the most polarizing of the voices available for good sound-bites, instead of the most intelligent for thoughful discourse in the long term.
Example? The people picked Mr. King.
The media picked Al Sharpton.
We suffer for lack of leadership on many fronts; empty hope of change without real substance and a plan, or the same old plan, (lobbying, bribery and special interest) without any real hope of change.

Last edited by DH : 05-19-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #128
DH
United_States

Deleted as it was already addressed
Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #129
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Gay Aikido People? NORTHEN UK

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
YIKES. Must have hit a hot button. Sorry if that line offends, I certainly didn't mean any offense by it.

Let me re-phrase: I don't think that you have to march down the street carrying a sign post to stand up and oppose injustice. Most often you can do it in small, quiet, persistant ways.

Pardon any canards...

Best,
Ron
You just lost, Ron. You meekly accepted the guilt-charge/labelling of what you said. Loser. You gotta learn to label and guilt back at 'em.

Problem is, we now have 40 years of politically-correct society where the label charges are counted as bona fide playing cards that outweigh facts.

Mike
Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #130
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Being gay is like being black...... 50 years ago.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #131
DH
United_States

No it isn't. Not in many respects. But there isn't a need to exaggerate to validate. The discrimination is true enough
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #132
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

And in fact, no one is saying it doesn't exist. What I (at least) am saying is that just because it exists, doesn't mean that the best way to fight it is to isolate yourself in a "Gay" dojo.

Yeah, Mike. I understand sensitivity to certain phrases, but jeez, sometime just look under the hood at what someone is saying.

Quote:
Being gay is like being black...... 50 years ago
I wasn't here 50 years ago, though my relatives have given me a pretty good picture. But hey, just for the sake of conversation, 50 years ago, I could have put on a suit and tie, and not been admitted to many resturants, hotels, etc. If I'm gay and I put on a suit, not one of those establishments would turn me away. Not now, and not then either. Make of that what you will...

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 05-20-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #133
Jacqueline von Arb

Dojo: JuShinKan Aikido
Norway

This thread is a bit old (Alex, you still around?)... but I thought i'd share this:
The Gay Games VIII are held in Köln (Cologne) in the first week of August 2010. And Aikido is featured within the discipline 'Martial Arts': http://www.games-cologne.de/en/sport...s/Martial+Arts

Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #134
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alex Watts wrote: View Post
Hi all, I would like some help please.

I would like to start a martial art for the purpose of self defence and after some research I have decided aikido is best suited to me as I am not a big strong guy. I live in the North East of England and so am looking for a club in the area.

My concern is this: I am gay and while I don't flaunt my sexuality, I do not hide it either. I don't mince around dressed all in pink being camp or anything silly like that, but if someone asks me for example if I have a girlfriend, I will tell them I am gay.

What I would like to know is:

1. Are there any all gay aikido clubs?
2. Is my sexuality a problem in learning Aikido with regards to other students?
3. Are there any local clubs where my sexuality won't be an issue?
4. Are there any openly gay Aikido people I can chat with here to find out their experiences?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Alex
Dear Alex,
I wouldnt worry overmuch about being gay .In the dojos in Durham nobody questions anybody's sexual proclivities.Just go along to a dojo and train.Why bother about an issue like this?If yoou require any info.Reply to this blog.Cheers, Joe.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #135
Jon Diesch
Dojo: Ryushinkan
Wales

Just to add to Jacqueline's post, there is to be an Aikido seminar in Cologne during the Gay Games, in august 2010, the details of which are here: http://www.games-cologne.de/de/stati...-international

Hope to see everyone there!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #136
Jon Diesch
Wales

Details of the cologne seminar, during the Gay Games this summer, are now available here: http://www.games-cologne.de/de/stati...-international

Hope to see everyone there!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #137
Jacqueline von Arb

Dojo: JuShinKan Aikido
Norway

Thanks, Johathan! Any info on who the 8 instructors will be? (maybe a bit too early to know?)

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #138
Jon Diesch
Wales

One of them will be me...
Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #139
RED
United_States

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote: View Post
Being gay is like being black...... 50 years ago.
With all respect to the gay community, that's offensive to blacks. I can't recall the last time I saw a "No Gays, Straights ONLY" signs outside of a dinner or department store.

I agree with Ron.
That's over emphasis. You don't have to over emphasize to make a point The statement "it's bad to discriminate against gays" would have been just enough.

MM
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #140
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
With all respect to the gay community, that's offensive to blacks. I can't recall the last time I saw a "No Gays, Straights ONLY" signs outside of a dinner or department store.
That's because they don't need signs.

The comparison is in some ways a poor one --and in other ways an exceedingly good one. A lot of straight people think that gay people have it all hunky dory now. News flash: popular-culture idiocy like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" does not equality make. Some fun facts about the legal status of gays in the United States:
  • Consensual sexual acts between persons of the same sex were only decriminalized in the United States in 2003.
  • Both public and private sector employment discrimination against gays is legal in most US states.
  • Housing discrimination against gays is legal in most US states.
  • Refusal of service on the basis of sexual orientation is legal in most US states. As I said, they don't need signs.
  • Marriage between same-sex couples is only legal in five US states and the District of Columbia. In 45 states, same-sex couples may not marry; furthermore, same-sex couples who are legally married in other states are unconstitutionally denied their rights under the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution. These rights include, but are not limited to, 1138 statutory provisions "in which marital status is a factor in determining or receiving 'benefits, rights, and privileges."
In short, there is no sweeping federal legislation equivalent to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that grants civil rights to gays throughout the entire United States. What exists instead is a patchwork of partial rights under continual threat and attack. Given all that, do you really think the absence of a few signs means anything?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #141
akiy

Hi folks,

Please try to keep the thread pertinent to aikido and the original toopic. If you wish to move the topic domain outside of aikido, please do so in the Open Discussions forum.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #142
shakou

Dojo: Ronin Aikido Association
England

What a thoroughly interesting (if not marred by patches of pomposity and pedantry) thread..... I wonder also if old Alex found what he was looking for, I hope he did, If we can have marital rights for gay people then why not also have martial rights as well....?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!