Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #26
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Haiti Earthquake Relief

It's been fairly quiet here so I want to add an incentive in the only way artists/artisans can: by offering some of my work.

I will send the 2 piece set of blue dragon dojo bag and weapons bag on this page http://www.zanshinart.com/Sewing/gift.html to the next person to donate $400 via aikiweb. (The set as is is selling for $85, if done as custom work the price would have been almost double that)

The next 2 people to donate $200 each will each receive one of the two premade weapons bags pictured on that page. I guess the first person to donate gets to pick the bag and the second person gets whichever is left.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #27
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Janet,
You rock!
But everyone knows that already.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
akiy

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to remind people that this Haiti Earthquake relief donation drive ends this Sunday, January 31st. We've so far collected $1170 and I'm hoping we'll be able to reach $2000 by this Sunday.

Thanks go out to everyone who has donated so far, both in this donation drive as well as through other means. Thanks to Janet, too, for pitching in her incentive above for folks to contribute to this donation drive.

The donation page on this site may be accessed here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/haiti/
Thank you for your donations and your consideration!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #29
akiy

Hi folks,

Just to be sure that everyone who wants to donate will get the chance, I'm extending the donation drive for the Haiti Earthquake relief drive until the end of the day today (February 1st, 2010).

The donation page on this site may be accessed here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/haiti/
Every little bit counts, folks.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
akiy

Hi everyone,

AikiWeb received 25 donations from all over the world totaling US$1,070. Due to PayPal charges in receiving the amount, $40.03 went to PayPal, making the total received $1029.97. AikiWeb pledged to donate an additional $100, but as I like round numbers, I'm adding another $70.03 to that to make the grand total for this donation drive to be $1,200.

I have just sent in the amount to the American Red Cross.

I want to thank everyone who has supported this donation drive to benefit those affected by the earthquake in Haiti. Whether you donated to this drive or helped out otherwise, I appreciate your support.

Thank you.

-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 02-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #31
Janet Rosen

And thank you, Jun, for all you do.

Janet Rosen
Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #32
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Hi, all. It's been a while since I last posted. I just want to let you know how things are going on here.
Well, the international community is really being awsome in their efforts to help. But things are just difficult here. Someone told me that Japan, for example, experience earthquake all the time, but with much less damage for the simple reason that the government adopted laws prohibiting the erection of any structure that is not earthquake proof. The Haitian government is finally working on a similar law. Our last earthquake was two hundred and fifty years ago, and a lack of appropriate technology and studies has left us vulnerable.
We are currently struggling with three big problems: sicknesses, aid distributions and the weather.
Doctors are reporting a surge of skin and infectious sicknesses among homeless people living in refugee camps caused by promiscuity.
The aid is apparently plenty but so poorly distributed that some people are receiving too much and simply selling what they cannot use. Meanwhile, others have survived the quake only to be starving to death.
Now, the weather. The number of people left homeless is unimaginable. And now, the rain is starting to fall. We need tents the way a fish needs water. All the available tents have been distributed, and we do not know if we are going to receive more. In the meantime, babies and the elderly are receiving nasty showers. We are now going to have more sicknesses, bad colds and pulmonary infections.
I speak from time to time to my aunt, my mother's sister. She is eighty nine years old, and she is a nun. Of course, she is retired and lives in a home run by the congregation she belongs to, for elderly nuns who can no longer work. My aunt told us that during the days following the quake, several old nuns died. They were not injured (although a younger nun was). Their old hearts just gave up. My aunt says that at her age, she just cannot deal with all this. She would like God to take her too. The other day, I was talking to her on the phone, and she suddenly said with a frightened voice: "Here it comes! Here it comes! Ok, it's gone". She had felt an aftershock. My aunt is eighty nine years old, and she spent her life teaching and devoting herself for others. It's sad that she has to deal with this now.
A few nights ago, I felt an aftershock, short but strong. The children of the friends I live with - they are eight and fourteen - ran outside, screaming in terror. Their house is farther from the epicenter of the quake and the roof is made of sheet instead of concrete. But still, is was scary. The kid's father is a geologist. They know it's going to last for a while. Not funny.
So here we are. The big quake happened just one month ago today. The government and the churches organized a day of fasting and prayers. Everything was closed. This weekend, we were supposed to celebrate carnival.
My family and I re-opened our store at a location that was used as a repair shop for big material. Tansporting all our stock from the main building to this new location is a nightmare. During the quake, shelves collapsed, and thousands of spare parts, a lot of them no bigger than a lime, flew everywhere. We are now busy transporting them, as well as the dismantled shelves, sorting them and putting them back on the shelves (after we put the shelves back together).
One of our employees is dead. His body hasn't been recovered yet. Our cashier was forced to leave the ruins of her house with her four year old boy's body still underneath. The child hasn't been found yet. Another employee lost his father, and his mother survived with both legs broken. Another employee also broke both of her legs.
A friend told my that she was taking a shower when the quake hit. She ran outside and watched her house collapse, raw as the day when she was born. Nobody laughed at her. Everybody was busy running for their lives, watching their houses collapse, their belongings being totalled, their loved ones die. My friend now lives at a friend's house.
In the end, all our employees - minus the one who died and the one who is wounded - are back. Most live either on the street or in their front yard. We tried to find tents for them. No success.
So our business has re-opened. The clients are still few. But we are confident that things will improve with time.
Last night, I cried when I saw on cnn.com the story of Anderson Cooper about the tragic fate of the nursing school's students.
There, that's it for today. And wow, that was long.
Thank you all for caring so much for us.
And don't forget to take care of yourselves also.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #33
Janet Rosen

Marie, from the bottom of my heart, warmest best wishes, wishes that I know will not shelter nor feed nor heal those in need. I know that I, and I hope many more, will remember as we go through our own lives in the weeks and months ahead that the need continues to be great, so that we remember to consider "yes, I can send a little more now."

Janet Rosen
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #34
crbateman

Thanks for filling us in, Marie. Warmest wishes for you, and the earnest hope that you will maintain the strength that you and your people need to prevail. It's so much to have on your plate all at one time, but the human spirit is stout. God bless...
Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
lbb
United_States

Haiti is obviously still in the emergency phase, but as Marie says, there are longer-term needs emerging. I hope that those who have helped to support the emergency efforts can also support the recovery efforts. In regard to the pressing need for shelter as the rainy season gets underway, I did a little surfing and found World Shelters, a nonprofit organization that provides transitional shelters and that currently is accepting donations to provide shelters for Haiti. I am not familiar with their work personally, but they have some history of providing shelter for homeless people in the US, for people in need of shelter following Hurricane Katrina, etc. If anyone else knows of organizations that have a good plan to provide shelter in Haiti, please post the information.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #36
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Hey guys, how are you doing? It's update time again.
So here is my report for today:

Stress, as well as air pollution caused by too much dust and too many bodies still left under the rubbles are taking their toll even on people not living in refugee camps. My sister was sick, as well as several people we know. They suffered from fever, body aches, stomach and intestinal discomfort. Doctors prescribe antibiotics.

I just learned that downtown Port au Prince is being patrolled by looters who simply break holes in the walls of the few abandoned buildings still standing and take everything they can. Our building was reportedly visited. It's a good thing we already moved most of our stock to our new location

Now, some happier news: on Friday, Santa Claus came to our family business.
My cousin's son, a young adult, is working like a horse as a volunteer with Project Concern, helping with the distribution of gifts from the international community. We asked him without success if he could find tents for our employees. On Friday, a container landed in our parking lot, and we were instructed to write a letter of gratitude for Project Concern. At the end of the day, the mystery container was opened, and our employees were instructed to line up. They did not receive tents, but a bounty including a tarpauling, plastic gallons for transporting water, and some kits for personal body care for men and women. Let me thank the international community on their behalf.

The dojo finally reopened this week. The students are still few - one of them lost his father - but we hope to see more people next month. Anyway, one student shared a funny story with us:
John - let's call him that - lives with his eighty year old father. When the quake struck, the old men was taking a nap. John barely had time to run on his balcony and jump like a ninja, landing in his front yard. To his horror, the house collapsed. As soon as it was possible, he rallied some friends and neighbors and they started frantically clearing the rubbles, calling John's father's name without hearing any answer. Everybody was sure of one thing: the brave old men was dead. The idea was simply to dig out his body for proper burial. It turned out that some big pieces of furniture had capsized, and were sent leaning against the opposite wall, creating a protective pyramid above the old men. He did not answer his son's calls for the simple reason that he was sleeping like a baby, completely unaware of what was happening. The quake struck ad 4:50 pm. He woke up around ten the next day, wondering why his room was so dark. He was finally pulled from the rubbles, unharmed, and wondering who's idea it had been to rearrange the house like that.
I love those little anecdotes that bring a little sunshine in the middle of a nightmare. I just wanted to share this one with you.
John sent his dad to live with relatives overseas. He stayed. He's a doctor. He lives on his front yard and, after spending weeks treating any victim who came to him, he decided to resume his Aikido training.
Live must go on.
Cheers
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #37
akiy

Hi Marie,

Thank you for staying in touch with us and for sharing your current situation there in Haiti. I can only imagine -- or rather, only begin to imagine -- how things must be there since the earthquake.

I'm sure that things are still difficult there, to say the least, and am happy to hear that rays of light are beginning to shine through some of the darkness. I can only hope that relief efforts are and will continue for people there and I hope people here will continue to send in donations, however much, to their charities of choice.

Warm wishes for you and everyone there, Marie.

-- Jun

Old 02-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #38
Janet Rosen

Again, thank you Marie for taking time to update us. As Jun says, those of us who have even a little - every little bit will help, month after month....

Janet Rosen
Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #39
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

This is probably going to be my last post about the Haiti Earthquake. Life goes on. But I do need to share a few last things with you guys. So here it is:

One of my cousins narrowly escaped dying under a collapsing supermarket. She went home shaken but alive, and, during the following days, she started to worry about her nine year old daughter not being able to go to school. She used to live overseas, and had returned to Haiti less than a year ago. So she decided to take her little girl back to where she used to live before, and to send her to the school she used to attend. So she went back with her little girl to Conception, Chile.
I swear I'm not kidding.
Well, got sick worrying for them for about a week before it was possible to talk to them, but they are doing fine, and they are now back in Haiti. Should we be bracing ourselves for another earthquake?
Anyway, Chile's president, Mrs Michele Bachelet, came to Haiti a few days after January 12th, to offer her help and her support. Now, she needs help. I think it's sad that we cannot give back anything more than encouragements and prayers. Members of Chile's army are in Haiti, to help. I thought that they would be allowed to go back to their country to check on their families. They were allowed to talk to them, but are staying. I feel a bit ashamed that they are here helping us while they are worried sick for their loved ones. I would like to express my deepest gratitude and sympathies to all the Chilean Aikiweb members, and to ask them to forward them to their friends and families. A human life is priceless, and eight hundred deads are just as bad as two hundred thousand. Chile is now in my prayers.
As for us Haitians, the road ahead is long but we have no choice but to keep going forward. The psychological and mental toll is heavy. A lot of survivors have lost their mind. A man I used to know lost his wife and two of his three children. The surviving child was severely wounded. I heard that theses days, he is completely incoherent, and that he is talking about de deceased children like they were still alive.
Let me also tell you about the heroes.
When the parliament collapsed, trapping a hefty number of congressman, the first rescuers were the least expected ones. They were unemployed people, mostly men, who have a tradition of standing in front of the gates of the parliament, and to pester the congressman for jobs. They were the first ones to extract survivors with their bare hands.
A lot of young people, young adults and even teenagers were grabbed by their parents and summoned to help with the wounded. They saw victims with the most horrible wounds. They experienced the shock of seeing someone who seemed to be doing not too bad suddenly collapse and die from internal injuries. They are not going to forget this anytime soon. A doctor was working at the hospital when the quake struck. The hospital was soon overwhelmed by the number of victims. So this doctor called his son, a young adult, and told him to come give a hand immediately. The young fellow does not share his father's passion for medicine. He is studying to become an accountant. But he did come, and helped the best that he could. The following days, he flew back to Canada where he goes to college. For weeks after that, he experienced nightmares, talking and crying in his sleep. He is doing better these days.
I also heard of people who lost their business, and who occupied their days at hospitals as volunteers. They are now working to restart their business from scratch.
Life will go on.

So here it is. You guys have no idea how much it helped me just to sit down and write down my feelings and my observations. My mother and I will have our own place in a few more months. I would not know what we would have done without this friend who plucked us from the prime minister's front lawn in the middle of several hundred of less fortunate victims and took us to his mother's house, who died a few months ago. I remember this woman as the most simple and charming person, and I am sure that she is pleased to help us. We only participate for the electricity and water bill and the gas for the generator. So many thanks to give, so few ways to pay back.

God bless you all.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #40
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

And, oh, guys, I forgot one last thing: The woman who was forced to leave the ruins of her house with her little boy buried underneath is pregnant again. It turns out that she was already pregnant on the day of the earthquake, but she wasn't showing yet. She also has another little boy, younger than the one who died.
A child cannot be replaced, especially in the hearts of his parents. But let's just hope that this new little bundle of hope will help ease the pain. And make it easier for his/her parents to go on.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #41
akiy

Hi Marie,

Your stories that you have relayed have touched my heart. Thank you for sharing them. My thoughts go out to everyone who was affected by the earthquake and my hopes for a swift recovery and reconstruction go out to you all.

Best,

-- Jun

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!