Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
rnrobles
Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States
Wearing your gi properly.

I have a question about the wearing of the jacket part of the Gi.

I have noticed that sensei(s) are always telling us to straightening up our Gi(s), especialy, bowing out.

I wear a standard Judo Gi for Aikido and the Jacket is just hard to keep properly closed. In training, it always untucked from the belt (obi) and opens around the chest area. Out of modesty, I wear a t-shirt under it. Is that proper?

From my understanding, to be considered closed it needs to be crossed high on the chest. Is this true?
If so, what is a simple solution to keeping it from opening?
Should I be using a different style of Gi?

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Wearing your gi properly.

Quote:
Rey Robles wrote: View Post
I have a question about the wearing of the jacket part of the Gi.

I have noticed that sensei(s) are always telling us to straightening up our Gi(s), especialy, bowing out.

I wear a standard Judo Gi for Aikido and the Jacket is just hard to keep properly closed. In training, it always untucked from the belt (obi) and opens around the chest area. Out of modesty, I wear a t-shirt under it. Is that proper?

From my understanding, to be considered closed it needs to be crossed high on the chest. Is this true?
If so, what is a simple solution to keeping it from opening?
Should I be using a different style of Gi?

Thank you.
Not possible for me, maybe with velcro or staples I guess. I've never had someone comment about it though and I can't imagine why they would. When you're grabbing, hitting, and throwing it's going to come all sorts of untangled. Just stuff it back in your belt and keep going.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Common in Japan for women to use "modesty ties" at the bustline. I make them for my own dogi top by cutting a white or natural color cotton shoelace in 1/2 and handstitching to the gi. + at waistline if the gi doesn't have ties there.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Mine opens at the top a bit at times, but I have never had mine come out of the belt. Then again, I tug on mine a lot to keep the front closed. Tying your belt tighter or a hakama (if you can wear one) usually helps this problem a bit.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Wearing a t-shirt underneath all depends on your dojo. I do this as well, but I was told not to do it when I visited Honbu dojo. They told me it was not allowed for guys to do this. You could also get a gi that has a tie at the chest area. Some guys think that this is for girls and is incorrect for guys to wear, but, if it is was OK for Nishio Sensei to have one then it is OK for me! You could also tie your obi tighter which was already mentioned.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

You might not want to buy a new jacket right away but next time you do, shop around a little, maybe you'll find a brand/model that is wider&longer. That might also help. Or buy a size too large and cut the sleeves shorter yourself.

kvaak
Pauliina

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!