Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #26
raul rodrigo
Philippines
Re: OK to Challenge Other Arts / Defend the Name of Aikido?

Who am I to have to defend the name of aikido?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #27
Melchizedek

Dojo: Phil. Aikikai/Santiago Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Simple dont call your self's an Aikidoist!

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-07-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #28
Michael Fitzgerald
Dojo: AikiKai
Australia

Quote:
Actually I (think I) see where you're coming from, I like the point (I think) you're making.

It is funny isn't it, sometimes people say "MY aikido works, yours may not" - and sometimes people say "aikido works!~that I can't make it work does not reflect on the art- but on the man."

I guess with some people it is just a matter of purporting whatever value suits their argument/ situation at the time...

For me, I'd say MY aikido works, and if I can't prove that on a given day, then I've let myself down- not "aikido".

Last edited by Michael Fitzgerald : 01-07-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #29
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Melchizedek:

The honor of aikido is for its masters to defend, a 7th or 8th dan shihan. I have been training for only 13 years. If there is a failure in some incident on or off the mat, it reflects on me, not on aikido.

best,

RAUL
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #30
Melchizedek

Philippines

Quote:
Melchizedek:

The honor of aikido is for its masters to defend, a 7th or 8th dan shihan. I have been training for only 13 years. If there is a failure in some incident on or off the mat, it reflects on me, not on aikido.

best,

RAUL
mine is 15 years as far as so good I am an AIKIDOKA

thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #31
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Good for you.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
Times have changed from when O'Sensei and others took on challengers. Defending the honor of anything in this day and age can be a litigous nightmare. Defending yourself is another story.
Indeed...and, to make the right decisions, it's important to understand what defending your self really means.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #33
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Araneta Melchizedek wrote: View Post
mine is 15 years as far as so good I am an AIKIDOKA

thanks!
have you been challenged in the dojo?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #34
Melchizedek

Philippines

Quote:
Mannix Moya wrote: View Post
have you been challenged in the dojo?
1st expi. of challenge is in 2004 my Dojo a distant relative Named Agosto Acuña more than once or four times as far as i remember and he some how finds him self in the Art of Aikido and Become a Pastor in AG ( Assemblies of God's Church) and his still my student now here at Santiago City.

2nd is Daven Manggadap a basketball player and Musician (now in the Church of AG).

3rd Necasio Noriaga now Married and w/ 3 children and found Jesus Christ thank to Aikido.

4th at Fort Bonifacio Jeffrey Alcober 1Lt Phil. Marine Judoka my Class mate and found Jesus Christ thanks to Aikido

but at the age of 6 i was At PAJA ( Phil. Amateur Judo Association) there were i 1st experience Challenge till today just for Good sports.

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-07-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #35
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
speaking of ranks and the authority to teach Aikido

Is it right to engage on a challenge to other Martial Atrs disciplines?

and can you? (generally speaking) defend the name of Aikido when a walk in challenger comes in your Dojo when least time expected?

are you ready to risk your life for the love of the ART?

"Love and devotion" (pls. comment)

(*dully recognize Aikidokas Phil. Aikikai*)
You can do whatever you want, just do not claim to represent others who have no wish for it.

In my own opinion, if you win, it will be you who won, not Aikido, and the same applies if you lose. Thus, it will have no bearing on the "name of Aikido" in any case, and you may risk your life, but it will not be "or the love of the ART"

Additionally, could you please explain to me and others (at least hose whom, like me, are not Christian) what do you mean when saying: "Jesus Christ thank to Aikido" ? What does any God got to do with Aikido or any other M.A. practice

Amir
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #36
Melchizedek

Philippines

Dear Amir,

Quote:
You can do whatever you want, just do not claim to represent others who have no wish for it.
whose others?

Quote:
In my own opinion, if you win, it will be you who won, not Aikido, and the same applies if you lose. Thus, it will have no bearing on the "name of Aikido" in any case, and you may risk your life, but it will not be "or the love of the ART"
i will not claim the victory for my self rather i'll give the glory Aikido iam just a vessel for this glory it isn't mine at all. my part is to train my mind and body to be one and one w/ our Universe or nature.

If i lose i will humbly accept and train even harder however its not Aikido but me. we r all prone w/ risk e.g. sleeping, eating, walking, working etc. i say fight fight hard and cling to life when the time comes like the thief it will be evident in my face that i fought & fought a good fight. and that's the way i think Aikidoka's should Die.

Quote:
Additionally, could you please explain to me and others (at least hose whom, like me, are not Christian) what do you mean when saying: "Jesus Christ thank to Aikido" ? What does any God got to do with Aikido or any other M.A. practice
Bible is consists of 66 books read it! start w/ Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
what is Aikido to you? or your own understanding about Aikido? and how long have you been practicing the ART of Aikido?

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-10-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #37
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
1st expi. of challenge ...
2nd ...
3rd ...
4th ...
Are you a missionary or an aikido teacher?

I never ever mix up teaching aikido and preaching the gospel. Never!
(I'm aware that this might sound strange in your ears. But this is the way we understand our christian belief over here.)

I train with people who are atheists (one of my best friends), with Moslem or Jewish aikidoka etc. Only few claim to be christians.
Aikido has a background in Shinto. Some people practice it doing Zazen also. Some understand it as Dao.

So well, if you are accepting challenges pleas be aware that you neither defend the Art of aikido but only your understanding of it. Nor are you defending the gospel of Jesus Christ but again only your understandig of it.

Again:
My teacher is and I am aswell well respected by other martial artists without being challenged one time.
That's a way to "defend" the Art of Aikido I prefer.

Carsten
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #38
Melchizedek

Philippines

Quote:
Carsten Möllering;250122]Are you a missionary or an aikido teacher?
Yes I am a Christian and Aikido Teacher and Respecting other beliefs through Harmony.

Quote:
I never ever mix up teaching aikido and preaching the gospel. Never!
(I'm aware that this might sound strange in your ears. But this is the way we understand our christian belief over here.)
So am I Others are being Drawn by Christian belief b'coz they chose to believe in it.

Quote:
I train with people who are atheists (one of my best friends), with Moslem or Jewish aikidoka etc. Only few claim to be christians.
Aikido has a background in Shinto. Some people practice it doing Zazen also. Some understand it as Dao.
same here!

Quote:
So well, if you are accepting challenges pleas be aware that you neither defend the Art of aikido but only your understanding of it. Nor are you defending the gospel of Jesus Christ but again only your understandig of it.
there r lots of ways in understanding our universe & believe that you can make a difference.

Quote:
Again:
My teacher is and I am aswell well respected by other martial artists without being challenged one time.
That's a way to "defend" the Art of Aikido I prefer.
b'coz thats how you find it harmonious in your place.

by: Jon Reading,

I believe it is acceptable to engage another martial artist who challenges your competence as a martial artist. I think you create a positive environement in which to test each other's skill, and you enjoy the opportunity to learn about yourself. Or, you decline the challenge and cite your experience is not sufficient to engage in a challenge. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I can't beat you, you are better than I." You never know, maybe that person works down to your level and you still have a great training experience.

You may find this essential w/ our topic

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-10-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #39
Melchizedek

Philippines

in respect by the ff Aikidokas post.

by: Dieter Haffner:

Aikido stands where it is now thanks to all the challenges Morihei Ueshiba did not step away from or were engaged by himself.

And let us not forget the shihans that introduced aikido to the world. If I am not mistaken, they were challenged a lot as well.

Shall we call them all hypocrites?

by: Dan Rubin

Feelings on "open mat" policy
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...t=15980&page=2
Report Post Reply With Quote

by: Andrew Macdonald

My 2 cents

yeah, perfectly ok to challenge and rise to the challenge of other arts, we pactice a maritla art after all, challening other arts can really let you see how good your techniques is especailly when, the other person doesn't know the uke side of the arrangement, and won't allow you to do a technique

however, you must keep in mind the spirit in which you offer and/or accept these challenges. if you go in as a meat head looking to throw down then maybe you need some time to look at yourself. and if such a person enters your dojo you haev a choice, show him the door or show him the floor

by: Dalen Johnson

Heres my take on it:

What is it you think Aikido does and what is it for?
I mean what situations is it best suited for?

Do you know, do you have experience? Have you tested the other waters yourself? [one of the requirements for my 2nd kyu test will be to have, at minimum, observed another martial art.]

Why is this?

Things are part of a bigger picture, as it were.
Aikido came from jui-jitusu and has even changed itself over the years from that of what the founder originally practiced.

In my opinion there is yin-yang and Aikido and MMA would be a good example of that.

Each has their place, and when and why they are effective.
Knowing this is key to when someone comes up and is curious as to if your art works... By working, what does that mean and how does that apply?

As for those that say Aikido is deadly... not sure that is what your implying... it could be. But as discussed in other forums, the way some people attack your more than likely to be missed if you didnt move.

I will say straight up that there is nothing wrong with practicing Aikido in a way that is not as live, or rather more 'artistic' than that of MMA. It has a legit value and something that should be strived for which is the harmony.

Many times people come in and they do want to overlook the aspect of harmony and its role. Little do they know that as they age that perhaps they will want to find alternatives to pain in their training. And yet someone may argue that how does this help them on the street, which means they missed the whole point.

In a real situation its about not getting in the fight.
{Geez, you would thought everyone watched karate kid by now!}
But this is not only a nice philosophical buzz... its the truth.

My point is that fighting should not occur unless its a mutual decision, and that much of what we think is unavoidable is avoidable if we learn more about who we are and how what we do gets us into some of the messes it does.

Again, this comes with time and experience.
Though in this world it could be that a younger generation wont need the years of suffering that we obviously have needed with wars, etc. to learn this.

So step into my dojo, and Ill give you options.
You want to box... get some gloves. You want to learn some principles that you can take with you in various aspects of life, then we can get into Aikido.

Part of that is training with people in a close enviroment that you would otherwise not want to train with. Many times we train with one partner who we feel comfortable with. That wont train you for anything, let alone for the street as many so believe they are prepping for.

Get to know yourself by working with different energies around you, and you will be amazed at how fast you pick things up...

Peace

dAlen

by: George S. Ledyard

Just remember what Funakoshi said... If it's not important enough for one of you to die for, then you shouldn't be fighting.

by: Jon Reading

I believe it is acceptable to engage another martial artist who challenges your competence as a martial artist. I think you create a positive environement in which to test each other's skill, and you enjoy the opportunity to learn about yourself. Or, you decline the challenge and cite your experience is not sufficient to engage in a challenge. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I can't beat you, you are better than I." You never know, maybe that person works down to your level and you still have a great training experience.

Aikido does not need defense. If someone challenges aikido, they can write hombu dojo and express their concerns for the quality of the art. It is inappropriate to challenge a system because you have no personal control over that system, only your skill in learning and using that system.

by: Mannix Moya

On the side, would you know how Omar Camar responded to challenges during the dojo storming days? Maybe you can start a thread about it

(Its just me: when the storm past our country and yet there is another storm coming).

Last edited by Melchizedek : 01-10-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #40
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Yes, it is okay.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!