Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
Fred26
Dojo: Budo Kai, Ki-Aikido
Sweden
Nishio Aikido

I was wondering if someone can provide me with information regarding Nishio Aikido. I've done alot of reading bout the various styles of aikido but good solid Nishio information has eluded me so far. In my country, for instance, there arent that many Nishio dojos to begin with.

So if anyone has a link with good information bout Nishio; its history, founder, differences in techniques in comparison to aikikai and/or Ki-aikido, and perhaps above all some good videoclips of Nishio in action, I'd be most grateful.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM   #2
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark
Re: Nishio Aikido

Hej Frederik

since you are from Sweden i suppose you could do with some danish links. The Danish Aikikai was instructed by Nishio Sensei for over 20 years, so that makes Denmark a solid bastion of Nishio Aikido. www.aikikai.dk is a good starting point, there you will find links to dojos aso.
I also recommend reading Yurusu Budo, a book recently published by Sensei. You might also like to purchase the videos/dvd of Sensei available throug www.aikidojournal.com

To get a good impression of Senseis aikido you might like to participate in Danish Aikikai´s easter seminar organised this year by my dojo. It will take place i Sæby 12 km from Frederikshavn (with as you know direct ferry connection to Gothenburg) We will be instructed by Takao Arisue Sensei, a long time student of Nishio Sensei.

Greeetings from Frederikshavn
Mark
Old 01-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote:
I was wondering if someone can provide me with information regarding Nishio Aikido. I've done alot of reading bout the various styles of aikido but good solid Nishio information has eluded me so far. In my country, for instance, there arent that many Nishio dojos to begin with.

So if anyone has a link with good information bout Nishio; its history, founder, differences in techniques in comparison to aikikai and/or Ki-aikido, and perhaps above all some good videoclips of Nishio in action, I'd be most grateful.
http://www.uppsalabudoklubb.se
http://www.hokuoaikikai.com

Also note that the first Japanese instructor Aikikai Hombu sent to Sweden: Ichimura was a student of Nishio Sensei so that Nishio has had a rather significant impact on Swedish aikido.
Even if Ichimuras old dojo http://www.uppsala-aikikai.se now primarily follows Takemori Sensei( also a former student of Nishio sensei).

Last edited by grondahl : 01-19-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

One more from the danes

Hi Fredrik!

Since you're sweedish you might get a real kick out of this page: http://www.hokuoaikikai.com

I've been to Sweeden for an aikido-seminar once. They are usually instructed by Shishiya sensei who is a long time student of Nishio sensei. If I remember right he is 6. dan in Aikido and 5. dan in Aiki-toho (iaido-style developed by Nishio sensei), and he is very nice and straight forward. I think that he teaches in sweeden about twice each year. Usually in Sundsvall, Upsala, Stockholm or Sandviken.

Good luck finding a Nishio style dojo. I myself am hooked

BTW: Hi Mark! See you in about two months for the easter camp. I am really looking forward to it.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Fred26
Sweden

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote:
One more from the danes

Good luck finding a Nishio style dojo. I myself am hooked
Thanks..But I'm not interested in actually joining a Nishio dojo. I'm already a member of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido so I wont "convert" anytime soon. I'm merely interested in aikido history in general.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote:
In my country, for instance, there arent that many Nishio dojos to begin with.
Hokuo Aikikai lists six, then there are those that are "on the border". The dojo in Malmö for instance is most definately at least half-Nishio.

Quote:
grondahl wrote:
Even if Ichimuras old dojo http://www.uppsala-aikikai.se now primarily follows Takemori Sensei( also a former student of Nishio sensei).
So, is it only those who follow Shishiya rather than Takemori that counts as Nishio aikido? News to me. Both are Nishio students, so I would have counted both...

(Fred26, habj här...)
Old 01-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
asiawide

I only watched Nishio sensei's video. But I watched one of his students(of course shihan now.. ), Koichi Shibata sensei.

My impression is that it's quite logical and well mixed with ken and jo though aikiken and aikido jo of the system are quite different from Saito sensei style.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States

See this thread over at aikidojournal.com.

--Chuck
Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Fred26
Sweden

Quote:
Chuck Kuske wrote:
See this thread over at aikidojournal.com.

--Chuck
Hm...sounds like some of those people all but worship him and his style. A bit creepy.

In any case, I think I now have some good background info on Nishio. Thanks ya'll.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote:
Hm...sounds like some of those people all but worship him and his style. A bit creepy.
A phenomenon that can be seen in quite a few lines of aikido. None mentioned, none forgotten.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Hm...sounds like some of those people all but worship him and his style. A bit creepy
You can take Eliis' post to the bank. Ellis wears no intimidating robe of virtue so I take him at his word.

But sure, you asked for opinions, what did you expect? Reading about styles here, or in books, can't make up for what you get, in person, on the mat. Knowledge comes from doing. Reading about aikido is like dancing about architecture .

--Chuck
Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #12
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote:

In any case, I think I now have some good background info on Nishio. Thanks ya'll.

Hej Fredrik

I agree it sounds like worship. But Sensei himself does not cultivate this attitude of his students. The man is just so down to earth as you can be. I remember meeting Nishio Sensei for the first time. I was helping to install the tatamis for the seminar the day before start. Suddenly I recognized Sensei (whom I so far just had seen on videos and pictures) approaching me energetically, smiling all over. I had rehearsed bowing and saying something japanese, but before I could "play" japanese he stuck out his hand, shook my hand, gave me a benevolent tap on the shoulder and disappeared.
Next morning the training startet, after a week I knew (having been an aikido-sceptic) that Nishio Sensei and his aikido was what I had been looking for.

Nishio Sensei is not a guru - he just conveyes O-Senseis message in a very convincing way - perhaps that is the reason for what you call worship.

sincerely
Mark Jewkes
Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #13
Fred26
Sweden

Quote:
Mark Jewkes wrote:
Hej Fredrik

I agree it sounds like worship. But Sensei himself does not cultivate this attitude of his students. The man is just so down to earth as you can be. I remember meeting Nishio Sensei for the first time. I was helping to install the tatamis for the seminar the day before start. Suddenly I recognized Sensei (whom I so far just had seen on videos and pictures) approaching me energetically, smiling all over. I had rehearsed bowing and saying something japanese, but before I could "play" japanese he stuck out his hand, shook my hand, gave me a benevolent tap on the shoulder and disappeared.
Next morning the training startet, after a week I knew (having been an aikido-sceptic) that Nishio Sensei and his aikido was what I had been looking for.

Nishio Sensei is not a guru - he just conveyes O-Senseis message in a very convincing way - perhaps that is the reason for what you call worship.

sincerely
Mark Jewkes
Hm...I think my comment was interpreted way too seriously. I wasn't seriously suggesting that I believe that Nishio sensei sees himself as a spiritual leader, nor that his aikidokas see him as such, I merely commented on the, (for me), rather...unusual...way of showing respect to a person or sensei in this matter.

I suppose that such hands-on reverence for a single person is not something that I am used too.I am a very informal person myself, and I'm guessing that my country is very informal in most matters as well. I don't treat my head-instructor like the students of aikido in Japan might treat their head-sensei, nor would I treat Koichi Tohei himself in any other way (besides the traditional bowing and etiquette thats part of it all) I definitly have a great deal of respect for both Tohei-sensei and my head-instructor. I simply never describe it or show it in the way some other people might do...such as the above example of Nishio.

Actually, one of the reasons why I respect Tohei-sensei is for the fact that he dares criticize O-sensei bout various issues and didnt see him as a perfect being. (This has made him quite unpopular I can imagine.) And it seems to me, that many people revere O-sensei as infallible, and that they have gone to great lengths of defending him eventhough its just an "innocent" issue, such as if O-sensei smoked or drank.

My warning signals just go off when I encounter such behaviour even if it is "innocent", or behaviour that looks similar. That is the reason why I found the Nishio praise a bit "creepy". It just reminds me of history, and how many times an individual has used other peoples reverence of him/her, (and still do), to do great damage on the world.

Meh! This is just me and my two cents talking. I may be overreacting.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Chuck Kuske wrote:
Knowledge comes from doing. Reading about aikido is like dancing about architecture.

--Chuck
I disagree. It is useless to try to learn techniques from reading books, but much about the Aiki spirit and philosophy can be understood from reading. The masters have the opportunity when they write to reflect deeply on their feelings, and make sure the message they want to convey is included. O'Sensei himself was an avid reader, and has said that "the wisdom of the world is contained in books".
Old 03-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #15
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
The masters have the opportunity when they write to reflect deeply on their feelings, and make sure the message they want to convey is included. O'Sensei himself was an avid reader, and has said that "the wisdom of the world is contained in books".
I agree - books are an excellent resource for in depth views of individual perceptions and experiences, which coupled with the reader's interpretations, becomes your unique reality. Of course, all of this actually needs to be lived to be truly impressionable and long lasting.

Greg Steckel
Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #16
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

For what it's worth, as someone who does Ki-Aikido, I have gone to Nishio Aikido seminars and found them to be quite excellent and interesting. And while of course not the same, much of it was much more compatible with what we normally do than many other Aikikai groups I have visited.

I am not convinced that the blending of Iai in to the mix really works. As someone who has been doing Iaido a while, that felt a bit forced. I prefer to keep my Iaido training separate from my Aikido training and let any crossover happen on a more sutble level.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
crbateman

I agree with Craig that Iai training is an issue unto itself, but there is a solid relationship between the taijutsu movements in Aikido and the way of the sword. Even those Aikido teachers who do not emphasize weapons training will admit this. Most think that some weapons training in Aikido is beneficial to understand this relationship, without the matter becoming a purely sword-based curriculum. What differs from one instructor to the next is where the line should be drawn.

Nishio Sensei has long been a strong practitioner in the sword, and his Aikido instruction favors this, just as Saito Sensei used a strong belief in bokken and jo in his instruction. There are other teachers who lean just as heavily against weapons training. For all instructors, it is a matter of choice and of familiarity.

Incidentally, those who are interested in Nishio Sensei can now get some good reading on the subject. Stephi Varjan Sensei, a longtime student of Nishio Sensei, has recently published two volumes of her personal notes from years of Nishio seminars. One volume is taijutsu, and the other is bukiwaza. A Google search should lead you to the site where orders can be placed. Also, Nishio Sensei's own book, "Aikido: Yurusu Budo", which he finally published after many years of prodding by his peers, has now been translated and published in a bilingual format. It's the only thing we language-challenged gaijin can read that was authored by Nishio Sensei himself. I think they have this book for sale on the AJ site.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

After repeatedly watching Nishio Sensei's videos, I see the sense with the modifications he introduced as I had similar issues with some of the traditional techniques as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
SeiserL

United_States

Have the videos.
Trained at one seminar.
Very worthy of the respect.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Jason Morgan
Dojo: Santa Fe College Aikido Club
United_States

My teacher, Tom Huffman Sensei, studied under NIshio Sensei. He has a website: www.aikidoofgainesville.com

Check out his website he is continually adding to his history page and you can email him with any questions you have about Nishio Style.

From what I have learned so far Nishio style seems to draw heavily on the Karate that Nishio Sensei practiced and to place emphasis on practical application.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #21
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the link!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #22
crbateman

A good book to read (the only one he ever wrote, and this one after much prodding) is this one.

If you want to see or train with one of his senior students, whose aikido is remarkably similar to the man himself, look up Koji Yoshida.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #23
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Fredrik Hall wrote: View Post

I read the various posts and I didn't find this at all... What I did see was an acknowledgment by a number if people that Nishio Sensei was one of the giants of post war Aikdo. Paying tribute to such a man isn't "creepy" it's respectful. I am not in any way connected with Nishio or his style. But in terms of how he thought about what Aikido is and how he manifested that in his training, he reminded me of my own teacher more than any of the other post war teachers.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Just an FYI to those who have the vids...The techniques have evolved a bit since those were filmed but give a basic idea of what our Aikido used to look like. If you get a chance check out a seminar and experience the 'new' stuff.

William Hazen
Old 01-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #25
Michael Fitzgerald
Dojo: AikiKai
Australia

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Have the videos.
Trained at one seminar.
Very worthy of the respect.
What I've seen of his techniques makes sense to me too. very interesting and worth a look in my opinion. I have joined an Aikikai Dojo- so that is where I'll stay- but what I have seen of Nishio shows me some fairly credible techniques.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!