Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 909
United_States
Offline
"Avatar" the Movie

I now know what it is like to drop acid with supermodels, while reading "dances with wolves".
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Hmmm....I take it that wasn't your favorite movie then? :O
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Kent Enfield
 
Kent Enfield's Avatar
Location: Oregon, USA
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 224
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

A review at The Guardian's site described it as "a Yes album cover brought to life".

Kentokuseisei
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 909
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hmmm....I take it that wasn't your favorite movie then? :O
Best,
Ron
Nah, actually I loved it.

Nothing better than a touching love story to me ... especially if that love story involves explosions
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,604
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Not usually the type of movie I would like, but the wife and I had a chance to catch a grown up movie today (which is a rarity) so we caught Avatar in IMAX and 3D. Good lord that was a gorgeous ride. Not exactly Citizen Kane, but... Truly an amazing visual experience. More of an experience than deep story, but they tried. Well worth the ticket price just to see the thing in IMAX.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,670
Offline
Re: Avatar:

I absolutely loved it. A sort of Eco Dances with Wolves, but stunning. I was blown away by how beautiful it was. What creativity!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
bob_stra
Location: Australia
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 641
Australia
Offline
Re: Avatar:

I like it better when it was called "Sentenced to Prism"

The 3D was fun though
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Cool....Myriam and I going to try to catch it in IMAX....

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

If I can't get to see it in IMAX, is it still worth going to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
C. David Henderson
Location: Santa Fe New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 606
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

This film rocks. I didn't see it in IMAX, but in 3-D; recommend 3-D highly, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it on a regular screen and I'm probably going to watch it on TV when the time comes...

There's an arc in adventure films and technology from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Arc, through Matrix and Lord of the Rings. You don't have to be Fellini to get this movie -- actually probably better not to be -- but it's a new step along that arc.

cdh
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,670
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
This film rocks. I didn't see it in IMAX, but in 3-D; recommend 3-D highly, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it on a regular screen and I'm probably going to watch it on TV when the time comes...

There's an arc in adventure films and technology from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Arc, through Matrix and Lord of the Rings. You don't have to be Fellini to get this movie -- actually probably better not to be -- but it's a new step along that arc.

cdh
My whole family has now seen it. My wife LOVED it. My 25 year old daughter loved it. My high school age son was blown away as was my college age son (who has now seen it twice). I thought it was absolutely outstanding and intend to see it again.. So we've pretty much covered the male / female and young / old range here and it's unanimous that this is an awesome creation. Now, I have to say I have a lot of artistic folks in my family, so maybe we are not representative.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
ChrisHein
 
ChrisHein's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
Location: Fresno , CA
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,645
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

I was hoping this was going to be about those cute kids with elemental powers bumming around trying to stop the evil fire lord.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Adam Huss
 
Adam Huss's Avatar
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 699
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Its just a fun experience. So many movies are overly serious, depressing, and try too hard. This is a 'just right' action flick with a good enough story (or at least told well enough) to keep one interested for 2.5 hours. I am a little disappointed though, I thought I was clever for comparing it to Dances with Wolves, but I guess that's what everyone else did too! :0/

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 909
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
If I can't get to see it in IMAX, is it still worth going to?
Yes, it is beautiful. I didn't see it in IMAX, and it was still a visual experience.

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 909
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
I am a little disappointed though, I thought I was clever for comparing it to Dances with Wolves, but I guess that's what everyone else did too! :0/
No sir, that's also what South Park compared it to .

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
Adam Huss
 
Adam Huss's Avatar
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 699
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Wow, didn't know South Park was still making new episodes.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
Adam Huss
 
Adam Huss's Avatar
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 699
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

...you know, that actually reminds me of something. The first few years I was training, my little "peer group" and I would get all excited because we thought we came up with a new technique...but someone else would always be like "oh, that's such and such." Disappointment ensued.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 909
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
Wow, didn't know South Park was still making new episodes.
Yeah... and its sweet.

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Gerardo Torres
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 197
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

I liked it a lot too. There's so much going on visually in Avatar that (if possible) it should be seen in IMAX 3D; it's similar in the way you can only fully appreciate Tati's Playtime or Kubrick's 2001 in 70mm format.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #20
JW
 
JW's Avatar
Location: Escondido CA USA
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 560
Offline
Re: Avatar:

[warning, thematic spoilers ahead.. no plot spoilers though]
[warning, very geeky]

I was going to write a review for aikiweb. I am surprised that no one mentioned anything about the content of the film, from an aikidoka perspective. I don't care too much about effects and all that but the movie actually has value thematically (btw I haven't read Sentenced to Prism but I bet James Cameron has).

Avatar is about musubi. The Na'vi call it zahelu and they have a specialized tissue in their bodies to accomplish it. Once they have acheived it, there is a mind/body link between individuals that allows them to function more as a unit than as 2 individuals. Doesn't this sound familiar?? I was like, "IT'S HYPER-DEVELOPED FASCIA!! IT'S AIKI!!" and my wife was like "shut up!!"

The idea is fleshed out more by lots of neat science fiction tricks. Ultimately the point is that this planet has such a higher density of life that there is a form of connection that has coevolved in multiple species, and this is how zahelu happens. The trees can do it too and ultimately the ideas that get talked about on earth as metaphors or fanciful interpretations are in fact a biological reality on that planet: the whole biosphere is a connected super-organism. Information is distributed.

The point of the film really was to explore the type of connection that can bind individuals, and bind them culturally to an environment. What are the boundaries of "self" when experiences and feelings can be culturally shared among individuals and between a people and a homeland? In this fictional world where that connection is made more "real" (from the POV of pig-headed imperialist humans) by making it a biological connection not just cultural, Cameron has intelligently treated the cultural relativism that can corrupt the interaction of different peoples. Like I said, it's about musubi!
OK geek time is over, good night!
--Jonathan Wong
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
Alfonso
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 346
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
[warning, thematic spoilers ahead.. no plot spoilers though]
[warning, very geeky]

I was going to write a review for aikiweb. I am surprised that no one mentioned anything about the content of the film, from an aikidoka perspective. I don't care too much about effects and all that but the movie actually has value thematically (btw I haven't read Sentenced to Prism but I bet James Cameron has).

Avatar is about musubi. The Na'vi call it zahelu and they have a specialized tissue in their bodies to accomplish it. Once they have acheived it, there is a mind/body link between individuals that allows them to function more as a unit than as 2 individuals. Doesn't this sound familiar?? I was like, "IT'S HYPER-DEVELOPED FASCIA!! IT'S AIKI!!" and my wife was like "shut up!!"

The idea is fleshed out more by lots of neat science fiction tricks. Ultimately the point is that this planet has such a higher density of life that there is a form of connection that has coevolved in multiple species, and this is how zahelu happens. The trees can do it too and ultimately the ideas that get talked about on earth as metaphors or fanciful interpretations are in fact a biological reality on that planet: the whole biosphere is a connected super-organism. Information is distributed.

The point of the film really was to explore the type of connection that can bind individuals, and bind them culturally to an environment. What are the boundaries of "self" when experiences and feelings can be culturally shared among individuals and between a people and a homeland? In this fictional world where that connection is made more "real" (from the POV of pig-headed imperialist humans) by making it a biological connection not just cultural, Cameron has intelligently treated the cultural relativism that can corrupt the interaction of different peoples. Like I said, it's about musubi!
OK geek time is over, good night!
--Jonathan Wong
I realized it was about internal strength towards the last half hour of the movie, had to go real bad... hold on tight!

Alfonso Adriasola
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
JW
 
JW's Avatar
Location: Escondido CA USA
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 560
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Quote:
Alfonso Adriasola wrote: View Post
I realized it was about internal strength towards the last half hour of the movie, had to go real bad... hold on tight!
Ah ha, there is a similarity with "Dances with Wolves!" Keep that ki in your suit!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

Check this Pocahontas-Avatar theme:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Franklin Newby
 
Franklin Newby's Avatar
Dojo: Tulsa Aikido Club
Location: Oklahoma
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

haha - awesome!

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
Gerardo Torres
Location: SF Bay Area
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 197
United_States
Offline
Re: Avatar:

The usage of a known classic storyline (i.e. Pocahontas) was most likely a marketing move to reach a broader audience with such a risky project. And the move proved profitable, since Avatar is already the second highest grossing movie of all time.

I love the movie because it provided me with the most engrossing audio-visual experience of being in an alien/exotic location I've ever had. That said, I personally thought that 75% of the whole "Pocahontas" storyline could've been dropped and resulted in a more focused movie.

The first third of the movie plays like a sci-fi travelogue, taking the POV of an explorer and the sense of discovery that is overwhelming (ironically it reminds me of T. Malick's eye for natural beauty in The New World). Then the blissful sense of discover takes a back seat and it shifts to the familiar plot and the archetypal characters: the chief, the warrior rival-then-friend, the shaman/whatever, the village "children", etc. It didn't need any of that all-too-familiar stuff, IMHO. Since Jake Sully's changeover comes mostly from his interaction with Neytiri (the only captivating native Na'vi character) and the pandoran natural world, that's all he needed as moral/emotional signposts to carry the character throughout the movie, the rest was just "filler" a filler that knowing mainstream audiences and reviewers obsession with plot (and lack of appreciation of other cinematic elements like visual conceptualization) turned it into a huge liability for some (enough to dismiss the movie entirely). As a result, things that are actually original to Avatar were not further explored, or partially ignored: the amazing fact that avatar bodies render the protagonist in two places at once, the scientific approach to a "connected" natural world (Dr. Grace's discovery of synapses among trees) which goes beyond the native's religious/cultural views, the flesh vs. metal theme like in the way pandoran animals have breathing elements that resemble the turbine engines in the exosuit and aircraft, among other rich details.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIKI : the movie kironin General 13 04-10-2005 08:41 AM
HERO: The movie !! John Boswell General 20 10-14-2004 01:56 PM
Segal's new movie gilsinnj General 13 07-27-2004 09:31 AM
Idea for a new Segal movie !!! John Boswell General 11 06-09-2003 01:25 PM
Aikido vs. this guy (movie) jaxonbrown Techniques 6 10-16-2002 04:35 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate