Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
New Years Eve Training, Shudokan School of Aikido in Houston, TX

Posted 2009-12-15 12:47:59 by Jorge Garcia
News URL: http://www.shudokanaikido.com

2010 is almost here! For those of us doing Aikido, our hopes are high and the goals we have for the new year are before us. In order to have a time to reflect on this past year and to properly cross over into the new year, the Shudokan School of Aikido in Houston is having a special night of Aikido practice to see in the New Year. We understand that to see in the new year, many will be with family, some will be at parties, others will be at home watching television as the new year comes in. This is all well and good. If those were your plans, please be assured that you are perfectly normal and in keeping with the current norms of our society. In a psychological profile, you would definitely be classified as perfectly sane!

This year though, what we are looking for are 25 certifiably crazy Aikidoists. That would be insane, out of your mind, profoundly disturbed or absolutely loco! These 25 Aikido practitioners need to be crazy enough to come to our dojo here in Houston and train 3 hours bringing in the new year. For this "insane" group only, our plan is for the dojo to open at 8:00pm on Thursday, December 31. We will start with some discussion and sharing of this last year concerning our respective dojos and our goals for the new year. We will train from 9 pm until 11:55pm. We will have teachers from the different dojos sharing in the instruction over the 3 hour period and we will take breaks at the appropriate times. At 11:55pm, we will stop for 6 minutes of seated mediation and will be in quiet mediation as the New Year crosses over. At 12:01, we will stop and have a toast to the new year with some non-alcoholic wine. After that, we will clean up and all go home.

If you want to be a part of this group, please email us sending your name so that we can have the count to be able to receive those attending properly. Twenty five is the goal but we have the room to receive all that want to attend. This will be a great way to see in the new year if you aren't otherwise occupied. We hope to see many of you there! If you are interested, please call 281-630-0361 or email Jorge Garcia at aikifudoshin@hotmail.com

Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States
Re: New Years Eve Training, Shudokan School of Aikido in Houston, TX

Love the idea , If you do not mind, i'll borrow it and if nothing else, i'll practice by myself. I would have come but i am all the way up in arlington.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Piyush Kumar wrote: View Post
Love the idea , If you do not mind, i'll borrow it and if nothing else, i'll practice by myself. I would have come but i am all the way up in arlington.
It's ok, I understand. Last year, I had emails from people as far as Dallas saying they would have driven the distance but didn't have enough time to plan so this year, I announced it earlier.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Sounds fun. Too bad it isn't closer to me!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States

@ Jorge- Well its not the distance, more then anything else, i am doing PhD and i have no car . And in any case, these are all excuses. Lets say the circumstances are not more conducive to me coming there.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
HangJebat
Dojo: Aikido Shudokan Malaysia
Malaysia

Hi all ...
I just found this topic using keyword "shudokan"

I'm Farid from Aikido Shudokan Malaysia and I started learning Yoshinkan Aikido since August 2003.

What a coincidence that Shudokan Institute of Aikido in Seremban, Malaysia also organize a similar event called "Midnight Training" and this became tradition since 40 years ago, or maybe longer. I never miss this Midnight Training ...

So guys ... how about this coming 2011 ... still got training???

the greatest glory of life is not in never falling...
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Hang Jebat wrote: View Post
Hi all ...
I just found this topic using keyword "shudokan"

I'm Farid from Aikido Shudokan Malaysia and I started learning Yoshinkan Aikido since August 2003.

What a coincidence that Shudokan Institute of Aikido in Seremban, Malaysia also organize a similar event called "Midnight Training" and this became tradition since 40 years ago, or maybe longer. I never miss this Midnight Training ...

So guys ... how about this coming 2011 ... still got training???
Actually, we're on again Friday night, December 31 at the same times. This has been an annual tradition for our dojo here in Houston, Texas. I started it because I was accustomed to going to church at midnight on New Years Eve every year since I was a small boy. Here in Houston, my church decided to go the modern way and see in the new year early in the evening and send everyone home for their convenience. I decided to have my dojo do what my church no longer did since I believe that the transition between the years is a time of reflection, meditation and hope. We have enjoyed good training and larger groups every year we have done this.
Best wishes,
Jorge
Shudokan School of Aikido
Houston, Texas

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!