Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-28-2002, 02:25 AM   #1
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
Yoshinkan Vs Aikikai Terminilogies

Been having a hard time getting to understand the Yoshinkan Terminologies. Some techinques may have been spelled differently they are easilly distinguishable. Others are really ALIEN to me. I tried seaching for the words in the Aikido Encyc but to no avail. Question is this: Is it me alone or others have the same exeprience?
Old 06-28-2002, 03:43 AM   #2
ianb
Dojo: Shinryukan (Aikikai)
Boy, I'm glad you asked. I'm in a yoshinkan dojo at the moment but next year I'll be changing countries, and there's only Aikikai where I'm going.

So I'll be 'changing codes' too. I found the web resources are not so hot on Yoshinkan terms: we are outnumbered, I suspect.

When I started I knew nothing. I found Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda as much an excellent resource for the language as well as for the techniques.

Also, Aikido: Exercises for Teaching and Training by C M Shifflett is pretty good for connecting the language together: when Ms Shifflett describes a techinque, she gives all the names used in the different styles as well as references in different texts.

You are not alone.

Kia ora
Ian
Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Try going to aikidojournal.com and getting a copy of Koichi Inoue's Yoshinkan training manual. The pictures will be recognisable for the techniques, and the terminalogy will be very clear.

Yoshinkan tends to stick with prewar terminology like ikkajo, nikkajo, etc. (from Daito ryu, but not representative of the Ikkajo, Nikkajo series of 30 techniques). Its really not that hard once you get used to it...in fact it tends to be easy once you get the format. Ex:

shomenuchi ikkajo osae ichi

front strike / 1st control / pin number one
you know this/ you know this / pin number one denotes linear technique, often done from aihamne (mutual stance) and entering. Yoshinkan basic shomenuchi xxx osae ichi techniques usually start with shite striking to begin the technique (iwama stylists do this as well I believe).

osae ni (pin number two) would denote a pivoting technique after the initial entry, ususually starts in gyakuhamne (opposite stance), and uke strikes to begin the technique.

Things tend to be very clearly delineated, and laid out. If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help out.

Ron Tisdale
Old 06-28-2002, 08:54 AM   #4
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
For a complete list of terms as used by use Yoshinkan crazys, please visit the website of Aikido Yoshinkai Canada at:

http://www.aikido.ca/Glossary.htm

Happy reading ...

Steven Miranda
http://www.seikeikan.com
Old 07-09-2002, 10:10 PM   #5
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Cool

Steven great web site ( your aikido website)! keep up the good work!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 07-25-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
aries admin
Dojo: Aikikai Philippines
Hi Sorry for the delayed repy, thank you all for the reply

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com