Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #26
Kabura
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan
Re: When should a beginner learn the jo, bokken?

I think Aikido should start from day one even if it just 10 minutes of the class
Old 10-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #27
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

In my case. I faced with contradictions:

When teaching us (the "veterans") to teach, my Sensei suggested teaching weapons after about a year of practice, so the student will have time to learn coordination with just his body and no weapon to focus on.
When I started learning, I got the Jo after less then a month and starting doing "walks", "stances" and basic strikes and blocks while advancing\retreating. I continued practicing the Jo and advancing in it, including "Jo Randori" (similar to a light sparring of Jo Vs Jo, except the point is not to spar - rather to learn). I only started practicing the boken several years later.

When a Shihan of the style (Korindo) was invited to a seminar, he indicated he believes in weapons training from day 1.

My own conclusion was that most teachers, seem to adhere to the way they were taught. My Sensei started with Judo for many years, and only then came to Korindo Aikido. The Shihan I wrote about, had learnt multiple weapons styles of Koryu prior to joining Korindo.

I think any generalization here would be presumptuous. Each student has the right time for him, depending on the teaching style of the particular Sensei. There is not a single "right" or "wrong" here, for each should go his own way.

Amir
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
otomo

weapons for solo practice and to "open" the body, if you can from day one, just take to not to get in the way for the curriculum of the dojo you are attending to.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #29
Darryl Cowens
New Zealand

If it helps, we have a couple of foam knives just for the beginners to go with the wooden knives when we train... ... Don't have foam bokken or jo though :P

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches