Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Did you know this? I didn't. (Wasp Spray for Self Defense)

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School .
For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes".

It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.
Wasp Spray
A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection.
She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote.
She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.
I thought this was interesting and might be of use.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Did you know this? I didn't.

Dennis,

Some good information on snopes on this...in fact they cover your vignette above.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

worth a read as there may also be some legal issues/impacts that folks may want to consider before deciding to use this as a method.

Me....never thought about it, but maybe it is not such a bad idea in the right situation.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Good Old Home Style WMD!

William Hazen
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

lol...yea William! absolutely!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Good Old Home Style WMD!

William Hazen
I thought a good spit of chewin' tobaky juice was the Good Old Home Style weapon of choice! Range is not so good.

We always used a 50-50% mix of ammonia and water in a spray bottle to spritz cats, raccoons and opossums to keep them away from the chickens ... once hit they never come back. It don't hurt 'em but the taste and smell (they clean themselves with their tongues, ya' know) is a lesson not soon forgot. I would not want to get a shot of that in the face either (I'm not so good with my tongue).

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.