Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #51
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Blending with the attack.

Well Dan I really do hope I get to feel your Aiki or someone like you...Right now that seems to be an East Coast thang...

William Hazen

My Mom's Funeral is tomorrow so hopefully when I get back on my feet I can get baaack there.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #52
stan baker
Wake Island

Hi Erick,
be a man and go check it out for your self

stan
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #53
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
As it happens I have, rather pointedly, not "used Kevin" nor did he "use" me, nor do you have the slightest clue what the heck was going on when he came down our way. I did not raise the issue, but -- having met him, I have a decent opinion of his character.
Not that this is my beef...but I think Dan was referring to the video you posted of Kevin Sparkman
Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #54
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Not that this is my beef...but I think Dan was referring to the video you posted of Kevin Sparkman
Maybe -- but not from the context of his overall comment. But, case in point -- specifics, eh? Removes all kinds of misunderstandings. I have more cause however, than Dan realizes; Kevin Sparkman and I are connected in our aikido, very different paths, but immediately and fundamentally connected.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #55
DH
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Well Dan I really do hope I get to feel your Aiki or someone like you...Right now that seems to be an East Coast thang...

William Hazen

My Mom's Funeral is tomorrow so hopefully when I get back on my feet I can get baaack there.
Hello William
My condolences. I remember sharing some stories of us both taking care of our elderly family members. It would be nice to connect some time wouldn't it. It brings a fullness to this oft times one-dimensional forum chatter. All my best to you.
Remember Mike is in Colo, (wasn't he just in Cal.?) and Ark and Rob go to Washington State, you don't have to drag your butt to MA. I wouldn't come to Massachusetts for anything. I hate this place.
Cheers
Dan
Old 10-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #56
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Turning every discussion into self promotion is not blending.
Mary
Old 10-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #57
DH
United_States

Eric
Your reply is all over the map. And this beating people up stuff is not an issue. I am not talking about "beating aikidoka up." but I don't expect you to understand a power and skill that is beyond aikido waza. It's the goal of your art- to defeat people with aiki. The difference is ...I can actually do it, Eric and you can't,
Missing the message and mixing things up to muddy the waters is the same tactic you use with your non-sense mechanical models and overly complex diatribes that help no one; it's a ploy to disguise that fact that this is a topic you have no place in, yet desperately want to be included in. But that's okay.

Your comment about me not knowing what you and Kevin covered is nonsense. If you had taken the time to read all of the written testimony here you would have understood one thing loud and clear; this stuff is made known at a touch. It is all over in minutes. and no "thing" no "Waza covered" is necessary in the discussion.

Interest in being included in the discussion - no interest in participation
I do not accept your "boondock and lack of available time". comment. In fact I think it is a dodge. You include yourself in discussions you have no knowledge of and continue to infer you can explain what is going on. You take the time and calculatedly join in every time, even when you are told you're not explaining anything that is being discussed.
a. I challenged that position.
b. I offered to come to you, no reply
c. I offered to test you and your teacher, then show you, and take you to dinner- no response.
d. I think you are being less than honest about your motivations and intent. I think you are scared to death to have one of us have our hands on you, because your ability will be judged by our credibility and all will be made clear.

I will be in Atlanta in Jan. And I can find my way down to meet you if you would enjoy that, or you can come and join us for free. I'll even buy you dinner.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #58
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Mary
Standing outside the situation, acting disinterested,and pointing out "non-blending" is also not blending.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #59
DH
United_States

Quote:
Mary
The topic is very flat and matter of fact, Mary. It is not promoting a single person over another, but rather the fundamental skill on which the entire art is based, Aiki. It is what it is. It matters not to me -who- is demonstrating that trut, as long as it is being demonstrated. Eric pursued a frank discussion. So I replied.
"So far Aikido is not doing well when faced with real aiki "
This is the truth. It is undeniable.
Do you deny this?
Do you challenge the written statements from the many teachers who have witnessed it?
Do you question their abilities? Their ability to judge and assess?
These are very simple, neutral and direct questions.
Again, Eric wished the dialogue to be frank and to discuss evidence. There are thousands to words from many people here giving personal testimony-yet he refuses to engage those who offered it to him.
It is not a question of promoting one, but of the reality of a skill.

Truth is decisive and dividing, as well as inspiring and correcting.
As for Blending? I and others are blending in the finest fashion. We are improving the quality of the sauce by adding better ingredients. So far the chefs who have left the kitchen to taste, all agree.
And four out of five doctors even recommend it!
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-17-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #60
Mary Eastland

Maybe, Dan, and it is different from what I am looking for. Do you have any thoughts about handling your uke like a new born baby?

Mary
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #61
DH
United_States

Quote:
Maybe, Dan, and it is different from what I am looking for. Do you have any thoughts about handling your uke like a new born baby?

Mary
Being different than what you are looking for-in aikido? Can you define that. Aiki is aikido. There is no other.

As for newborn babies? Lots of love, laughter and singing.
Wait, I do that already.
Are you saying what I think you are saying? Are congrats in order?
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-17-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #62
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
The topic is very flat...
You can say that again...

You assume too much and explain too little -- and I'll be the first to say I have precisely the reverse faults...

Trying to unpack your assumptions and lay out your explanations will go farther. Insofar as you have tried to do that (and in fairness from time to time you have, in your own idiosyncratic terms), nothing persuades those who want objective information that what you are doing is anything but relative degree of accomplishment. As promotion strategy alone you have to know that testimonials are the weakest form of advertising -- nothing but compounded hearsay -- as are blanket criticisms of competitors, all soft and smothery but not cutting very deep without sharp specifics.

And I accept the degree of talent that direct witnesses of you give. But that does not mean much in qualitative terms -- since they seem to be clueless how to analyze what you show them. Qualitatively that makes them poor witnesses. If you want to persuade of qualitative distinction, instead of quantitative superiority of degree, you need to persuade more specifically so people can judge for themselves -- rather than accept others' judgments of you. This is a forum for such persuasion.

As for my distance from your engagements -- it is just that -- distance -- however you assume my meaning of the word. There's only one man ever converted me to anything -- writing was a key element of that ...but you're not Him.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #63
Mary Eastland

Quote:
Being different than what you are looking for-in aikido? Can you define that. Aiki is aikido. There is no other.

As for newborn babies? Lots of love, laughter and singing.
Wait, I do that already.
Are you saying what I think you are saying? Are congrats in order?
Cheers
Dan
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you have to make fun of it.
Mary
Old 10-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #64
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Mary
Taking a wild stab in the dark...that hopefully doesn't hit the baby...

but I'd guess that it's yet another vague admonishment not to use the "normal" strength.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #65
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you have to make fun of it.
Mary
Pot Calling Kettle Black? Remember Before Dan is anything else He's just another Irishman from MAAAAASS and he used to rub me the wrong way with his "tone" but than again why wouldn't he... I am just another Irishman from MAAAAAASSSS too and we're a feisty bunch.... and.... According to Xavier Hollander the best lover's!!!.

Babies we Irish Boys LOVE BABIES!!! I hope to have a few of my own someday... If I can ever find someone who can put up with me (Being Irish and all )

Easy does it everyone. Today I get to sing "Danny Boy" for my Ma...Life is just too short.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 10-17-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #66
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Stan Baker wrote: View Post
Hi Erick,

stan
With all due respect Stan.... Why don't you try to be constructive in your posts from now on instead of just "Dog Piling" on all the time...Just a suggestion mind you.

William Hazen
Old 10-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #67
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I will be in Atlanta in Jan. And I can find my way down to meet you if you would enjoy that, or you can come and join us for free. I'll even buy you dinner.

Dan
i can't even get folks to buy me drinks much less dinner. life is full with unfairness.

personally, i think you gents should get together, drop your pants and compare foot notes. i'll bet i'd beat all of you because we asians are known for our diminutive nature.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #68
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary
...I think he might have thought your 'baby' enquiry kinda implied you were maybe expecting ...
Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #69
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Stan Baker wrote: View Post
Hi Erick,

stan
Wow, could you be just a bit more sexist? You crowd are so tone-deaf it's not funny.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #70
DH
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
...I think he might have thought your 'baby' enquiry kinda implied you were maybe expecting ...
Yes. That is what I thought, hence my comment and my well wishes.
My mistake.
Dan
Old 10-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #71
stan baker
Wake Island

I thought this is a martial art forum, my mistake

stan
Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #72
thisisnotreal

i, for one, enjoy your accupressure technique.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #73
thisisnotreal

Erick, May I ask, "What is it exactly you want to know Proof of?" I am still left wondering. Truth be told, I only think a matter of friendship is at stake here.

Ms. Eastland,
About your question, I was thinking: What if, via aiki, you could do the softest Aikido you could imagine? So safe that you could do that demo as if you were actually holding a baby as tori... or alternately treating uke as if he, himself, was the baby. What, mayhaps, would it mean?

I don't know but I bet that if aiki just.... ...saps-your-strength and you can find yourself on the ground without knowing what happened... then it is probably safe to apply to a baby. What do you think? I don't know.

Best to you both,
Josh
Old 10-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #74
Mary Eastland

When I talk about handling uke as a newborn I mean so soft and gentle they hardly know they are being led. Or thrown. Your timing and blending is right on...uke doesn't feel manhandled or forced. The throw happens and uke is on the floor thinking how did I get here.
Yes, Stan.... this is a martial art forum...and an Aikido forum.
I train for what I am looking for....I don't make fun of what you are doing or minimize it or make it ridiculous. Maybe as you keep training you will understand what I am talking about..
Mary
Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #75
stan baker
Wake Island

Hi Mary,
I have practiced Aikido for over 30 years and enjoy that type of training sometimes, but it is not that realistic.

stan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!