Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #76
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: "Indians"

http://feministlawprofessors.com/?p=12978
Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #77
TAnderson
United_States

A government take...

http://www.doi.gov/bia/

Tim Anderson
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #78
Eric Winters
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro and Berkeley
United_States

All this PC stuff is fine and dandy but what I really want to know is if Aikido works in a fight?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #79
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Eric Winters wrote: View Post
All this PC stuff is fine and dandy but what I really want to know is if Aikido works in a fight?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #80
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

It doesn't work in a fight.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #81
Eric Winters
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro and Berkeley
United_States
Talking Re: "Indians"

Damn! I guess I will have to quit then.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #82
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: You're sensei, I'm sensei, Everyone's sensei

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
Your slang is disrespectful to the American Indian, therefore racist, therefore offensive to the Grand Dream of O'Sensei, therefore offensive to me.
Just to clarify about what a "racist" is, here's this:

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #83
Suru
United_States

When I saw the derogatory term it brought about bad feelings. Whether this word was intentionally disrespectful, I don't know. Not trying to be the Aikiweb police, I simply didn't want to see ethnic disrespect on our forums.

Wikipedia is a widely respected Internet encyclopedia, granted it isn't perfect or all-encompassing. I didn't know about the Indian thread since it is a break off from another thread. I just read the posts for the first time, then found the following list of ethnically derogatory words, for anyone about to use an ethnic term and wants to know whether it is generally considered disrespectful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Drew
Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #84
dps

I am of mixed heritages, Scandinavian, Irish, German, Cherokee Indian, Hillbilly and the only time when someone calls me something and I get offended is when they call me late for supper.

David
Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #85
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Interesting. Most of the Yiddish words are not specifically derogotory, they are the ONLY words in Yiddish to describe Jews and non Jews. They can be delivered in a tone of voice that, like any word delivered in a particular tone of voice, becomes a sneer or putdown ("Roast beef????", say, or "the Post Office???"), but are much more commonly used as simple descriptors.
Interesting also that the common term for a female non Jew, shiksa, is there but not the equally common term for a male non Jew, shaygetz.
As in, in reading the wikipedia entry, I suspect some shaygetz watched a Woody Allen movie and read too much into it :-)

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 09-23-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #86
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

LOL...good one Janet!
B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #87
Suru
United_States

Janet,

You give too much power to movies. They are often entertaining, but if you see them as a true revelation of reality, it is healthier to save your $7.00. People don't pay to watch reality on the big screen; why would they?

Drew
Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #88
Suru
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I am of mixed heritages, Scandinavian, Irish, German, Cherokee Indian, Hillbilly and the only time when someone calls me something and I get offended is when they call me late for supper.

David
You should walk in the midst of Miami's Overtown with a KKK outfit on, yelling the n-word repeatedly. If you live five minutes, I will immortalize your Aikido technique.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #89
Hogan

Quote:
...Wikipedia is a widely respected Internet encyclopedia...
Not really.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #90
Basia Halliop
Canada

No, but if it's in Wikipedia it does explain that at least some people do and have used it as an insult. It may be one whose non-insulting vs insulting usage depends on where you are in addition to how you're saying it. In the original post, I did not get the impression it was used in a derogatory way -- i.e., there's nothing inherently insulting about a reference to certain political system that has leaders and followers. I got the impression the spelling was used more as it's a direct quote of an old saying.

One I always found weird was 'Polack'. I have never understood what's supposed to be insulting about that, as (other than the anglicized spelling), it's exactly how you say 'a polish man' in polish - my parents are from Poland and I speak the language reasonably well. I always thought it sounded better than 'pole', which sounds kind of silly, like a telephone pole. I assume it's one of those many words that acquired a certain connotation purely through usage, in this case probably at some point in time when there was an influx of poorly-educated polish immigrants to north america. I.e., if enough people use a word as an insult, it increasingly becomes one.

Like many words for, e.g., physically handicapped or particularly mentally disabled people -- each generation tries to wipe the slate clean with a newer, fresher, nicer word, and within a few years it's the new insult "Retarded" was originally invented as a nice word (it just literally means 'late'). Same with 'handicapped', 'special', etc... Unless the actual attitude towards the group changes, new more polite words just become insults.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #91
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Like many words for, e.g., physically handicapped or particularly mentally disabled people -- each generation tries to wipe the slate clean with a newer, fresher, nicer word, and within a few years it's the new insult "Retarded" was originally invented as a nice word (it just literally means 'late'). Same with 'handicapped', 'special', etc... Unless the actual attitude towards the group changes, new more polite words just become insults.
Good points, Basia. What you have to understand is that getting involved in the "racial insults" conversation is one of those useless flytraps in life. The people who devote a lot of time to emotionally-indexing words are usually the same people who get their deepest philosophy from the chorus-stanzas of ABBA songs and who could not write a simple homework essay without the cut-and-paste function.

FWIW

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #92
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
The people who devote a lot of time to emotionally-indexing words are usually the same people who get their deepest philosophy from the chorus-stanzas of ABBA songs and who could not write a simple homework essay without the cut-and-paste function.
Now that you've catagorized a whole sub-group of people Mike, why not give that group a name, just try to make sure that it's one that doesn't cause offence!

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #93
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Now that you've catagorized a whole sub-group of people Mike, why not give that group a name, just try to make sure that it's one that doesn't cause offence!
Why bother? When you view your every freedom of expression, no matter how trivial, as being paramount above all other considerations, the harm that you do to others is a matter of complete indifference. Why even bother to try to consider or evaluate what that harm may be, when you're going to do what you feel like regardless?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #94
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Why bother? When you view your every freedom of expression, no matter how trivial, as being paramount above all other considerations, the harm that you do to others is a matter of complete indifference. Why even bother to try to consider or evaluate what that harm may be, when you're going to do what you feel like regardless?
I really agree here, Mary. There are things we're supposed to take with us off the mat. Two of these are respect and discipline.

Drew
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #95
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Now let's be fair here: shouldn't Chris be allowed to share the blame with the guy who named the river Indus?
Columbus was searching for a faster route to the East Indies, not where the Indus River is in India.

Drew
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #96
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Columbus was searching for a faster route to the East Indies, not where the Indus River is in India.
That's true, but if the people living near the Indus wouldn't have called it 'Sindhu' (Sanskrit), it wouldn't have been called 'Hindu' in Old Persian and thus would not have been know as the 'Indos' by the Ancient Greek, nor would the people living there been known as 'Indoi' (still Ancient Greek), which became 'Indians' in English. (I don't know which language Columbus used to talk/write about the Native Americans, though, but the word he used would have come from Ancient Greek.)
I mean, it all depends how far you want to go back to find the root cause. (Which is a very Buddhist idea, btw.)
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #97
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

John Hogan already put it simply, but ;
Quote:
...Wikipedia is a widely respected Internet encyclopedia, ...
Simply isn't true, or even close to it.
It's a widely READ internet encyclopedia, also widely despised and distrusted.
In this thread for instance it took mere minutes for people to find words listed by wiki as derogatory which were simply descriptive : and only classed as derogatory by clueless whinging nerds ... who largely create entries in wiki.

(There are of course many good and accurate wiki pages ... but no way to discern which they are!)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!