Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #26
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Who are you?

I've used the Alias, Shadowfax, for quite a few years now on multiple forums. Its kinda just who I am now. Mainly those forums pertained to horses and horse training and I have made quite a few very good friendships as well as getting a pretty decent reputation as a trimmer and trainer all without giving away my identity unless I chose specifically to do so in private.

I don't particularly have a problem with this forum requiring real names but I have to admit it makes me think pretty hard about my posts before I say anything. After all my sensei and some of my fellow students also frequent this forum. In most cases that is a good thing. E-budo takes it a bit far IMHO in requiring you to put your real name into your siggy line before they let you register. Considering they are asking for your real name as your user name it seems a bit overkill to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #27
sammywhip
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
I don't particularly have a problem with this forum requiring real names but I have to admit it makes me think pretty hard about my posts before I say anything. After all my sensei and some of my fellow students also frequent this forum.
I'm watching you!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #28
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
I, personally, don't give much credulence to a post that someone isn't willing to stand behind with their name and lineage.

How do the other members of AikiWeb Forum feel about this?
NO! I ain't gonna do it, and you cain't make me!

(oh crap. nevermind.)

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #29
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Good morning Michael...

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
mjhacker

United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
I have to admit it makes me think pretty hard about my posts before I say anything.
This is exactly the point.

Michael Hacker

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Weird how many years old threads are getting new action....
Seems like it's Russell.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #32
mjhacker

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Good morning Michael...
Mornin', Sir. I had lots of great training with Tarik and his folks last week. I can't wait to get back up there.

Michael Hacker

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #33
YogaRen
Dojo: The little dojo in the Woods.
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
NO! I ain't gonna do it, and you cain't make me!

(oh crap. nevermind.)
Such a trouble maker this one..

I am Karen, I am from Texas. I just started practicing Jiyushinkai Aikibudo with an incredibly talented Sensei in North Houston TX.

It's all Michael's fault.

Trusting the process.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #34
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Karen Waxler wrote: View Post
It's all Michael's fault.
...fast learner, this one :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
YogaRen
Dojo: The little dojo in the Woods.
United_States

Quote:
I have excellent mentors.

Trusting the process.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #36
mjhacker

United_States

Quote:
Instigator.

Michael Hacker

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #37
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

It's been a little bit of a transition for me and I both enjoy and dislike the pressure I feel from having my name attached to everything I say here. I used to use internet forums as my personal little social experiment. I wouldn't say I was ever really a troll because I would respond to arguments directly, but I did enjoy the freedom anonymity provided when playing devil's advocate...and I really enjoyed playing devil's advocate a lot. I find myself still doing it without intending to much of time. I would say that over time it became a little too easy to rely on that and to spit out the first thing off the top of my head. That's why essentially all my chat interactions now take place on Aikiweb (it's you folks actually, I really enjoy the people here). The fact that most of us are who we say we are makes me think a bit more about what my responses are and that's sharpened my written communication a bit. Plus, we still have the option to post anonymously, so as I see it we've the best of both worlds.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 09-09-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
mjhacker

United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
... but I did enjoy the freedom anonymity provided when playing devil's advocate...
Imagine the true freedom that speaking your heart under your real name gives you. My teacher, seniors, juniors, and peers have been able to read everything I've said for the last 15+ years, and they've always known it was me.

If you (vous) fear consequences for speaking your mind, you (again, vous) might want to re-evaluate some things.

Michael Hacker

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #39
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
If you (vous) fear consequences for speaking your mind, you (again, vous) might want to re-evaluate some things.
Merci!
I would say my comfort in not speaking my mind freely comes more from some practical experiences growing up than from fear itself. In fact, I grew up being very up front with my views on things...often at the expense of appearing cool. Peer pressure has never been much of a problem for me, at any rate. As a youngster I found I could speak my opinions more clearly once I had some understanding about the other person. Of course the irony is that this tact requires others to speak their minds while I safely keep mine in reserve...which isn't always very fair, even if it is often "safe".

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #40
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Instigator.
{rei}
In all seriousness, I've never posted anonomously anywhere. Once, early on in my training, there was a very sticky situation locally I had nobody to turn to - it was pre-aikiweb - and I emailed a trusted aikido-L buddy who was very far away geographically, totally disconnected politically, and we discussed it in a foreign language for good measure :-)
But here, I really do consider this off the mat training for staying balanced and focused in the sense of trying to express myself in a way that respects others and that expresses my thoughts cogently and consisely. It would never occur to me to write something here that I would not post on a public billboard in my hometown.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #41
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

...and many of us know who you are by your genuine posts and the person that we interact with in person is the same (really Better!).

I'm really glad that you're training where you're at now.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 09-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #42
Jeffrey Tanaka
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido Dojo
United_States

I once went to a lecture entitled "The Nature of Art" it ended up being a lecture on the question "is it important to know the background of the artist to appreciate his art." The general consensus was no. That art is trancedent even beyond the artist itself. Rare good art contains some universality to those that appreciate it. I would like think truth and validity have the same qualities. That if a post seems truthful, it should not matter what lineage the poster comes from, how much or what type of experience they have, or whether they use their real name or not. I have the opportunity to judge it as true according to my own life experiences. Granted you may weight truth differently according to many different factors. There are clearly certain posters that I look to for their opinion on specific aspects of Aikido. I may garner bits of truth from a post rather than accept the whole post as true. Buy by and large, good posts should stand on their own. Hopefully transcend the poster.

I once had a three year old tell me my fly was open. Dang if he wasn't Right!

P.S. I've neglected to introduce myself to this site so I will do so along with my experience in the intro section.

Jeffrey Tanaka
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #43
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Jeffrey Tanaka wrote: View Post
I once went to a lecture entitled "The Nature of Art" it ended up being a lecture on the question "is it important to know the background of the artist to appreciate his art." The general consensus was no. That art is trancedent even beyond the artist itself. Rare good art contains some universality to those that appreciate it. I would like think truth and validity have the same qualities. That if a post seems truthful, it should not matter what lineage the poster comes from, how much or what type of experience they have, or whether they use their real name or not. I have the opportunity to judge it as true according to my own life experiences. Granted you may weight truth differently according to many different factors. There are clearly certain posters that I look to for their opinion on specific aspects of Aikido. I may garner bits of truth from a post rather than accept the whole post as true. Buy by and large, good posts should stand on their own. Hopefully transcend the poster.

I once had a three year old tell me my fly was open. Dang if he wasn't Right!

P.S. I've neglected to introduce myself to this site so I will do so along with my experience in the intro section.

Jeffrey Tanaka
I'm of the same mind with you here. I agree with the idea that accountability can make a big difference in certain conversations, but for the most part I think the substance of the message is what counts more than who said it.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #44
Jeffrey Tanaka
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido Dojo
United_States

Chuck

I just read Tenryu Hamaki's post #32 on the "hidden in plain sight - Takeda Sokaku" forum. I'm not quite sure whose opinion his post confirms (your or mine), but I certainly more clearly see your point.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #45
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
In the other hand, even if some folks give their full name but their discussion is a kind of marketing (aikidojournal, 'internal skill' supporters etc...) to promote some business, or have hidden agenda I'm instantly loosing interest in such discussion.
Oh my gosh, I toally agree. I know just what you mean. I feel the exact same way when people do their "my aikido is valid and people love me" posts. That agenda is worse marketing, and so much more of a turn off - to me anyway. What's left to discuss about that? All I can say is "Yes yes, you are valid, and we love you... and your great lineage."

Personally, I'd rather read a post from someone who just has something new and interesting to talk about regardless of their name/lineage. I'm finding that truth itself is a much better authority than a name, a rank, and a lineage. But to each his own...

Rob

old mcdojo had a form, aiki aiki do...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #46
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Unfortunately, not in my experience.

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote: View Post
... most dojo are not so backwards as to think that anything you post as your own personal opinion bears any reflection upon them..

Ruth

"In the end there can be only one"

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
Adam Huss

United_States

Just throwing this disclaimer out there...

Please take anything stupid I say as from me and nothing to do with my lineage or instructors.

Anything coherent or intelligent that happens to sneak out, please credit to my lineage and instructors.

Osu!
~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!