Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Ten Shinsho Jigen Ryu-combat sword and aiki

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
Ahh! ok, good to know. I knew their ranks were a bit low to be isolated so good to see that they are actively connected to seniors in Japan now. Congatulations to him on his promotion!
Domo Arigato Gozaimashita I'll pass it along.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #27
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Gerardo, Thanks for the thread hi-jack. It is exactly what I was hoping for. Please keep talking.
Jen

Quote:
Gerardo Torres wrote: View Post
(Jennifer, sorry for the thread hijack…)

Thanks for your response.
I wasn't confused with the names, just using them interchangeably (i.e. Hayashizaki = Jinsuke).
I understand your point better now. However, for the sake of clarity I submit that Mima Yoichizaemon Kagenobu (founder of Suio Ryu ®) studied Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu's art c. 1595, therefore he was most likely exposed to Jinsuke's original techniques (or something close to it) without the modifications/additions/influence that Hasegawa Chikaranosuke Eishin introduced six generations later (in mid-1600s?). From a Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu or MJER lineage point of view all the different art names you listed might carry similar meaning. But from a Suio Ryu historical perspective I don't think it would be accurate (unless historical sources point me to the contrary) to associate it's founder with the teachings of Hasegawa Chikaranosuke Eishin as the name of the Jinsuke-Eishin line implies. What I am really interested in is Suio Ryu history (reliable information in English is scarce) to help me understand this art and its techniques better, that's what really drew my attention to your comment.

Noted.

Again, thanks for your comments.
-Gerardo

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #28
Kusarigama
Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

Quote:
iaido is generally accepted as koryu arts unless you are talking about for example kendo practioners practicing only seita gata.
'Do' represents a singular path or way. 'Jutsu' on the other hand offers many different routes. Suio Ryu is a Bujutsu as it offers many routes and tributaries which it demonstrates in its techniques. Therefore, the Hekiunkan (Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Honbu) is not a Dojo as such as it is not a place to follow a single way, this is different for Kendo practitioners."

Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro
Serving as the 15th generation Headmaster of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

Quote:

kenpo is a bit weird to attach to the end there, except it does reflect the hybrid nature of this school's history.
The official name of the Tradition is "Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo".

Suio Ryu is translated as "Water Bird" or "Seagull Tradition"

Katsuse Soke, serving the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo as the 15th generation Headmaster has explained "Iai Kenpo" in this manner:

"Firstly if you break the characters down, 'I' (lit: sit/place in time/place where one exists) as we understand it means an environment or a threating moment in time which forces the practitioner into action.

The 'ai' (lit: harmonization/blending/ to meet) signifies the practitioner identifying the threat and applying the most effective action, reactive or proactive, to it to achieve their aims.

In our tradition we train in the use of the sword to achieve those aims. This being the 'Kenpo' (lit: methods/teachings/skills of the sword)

Therefore, Iai Kenpo = the use of the sword to effect the most beneficial outcome from any threat or action of our opponent or arising from our environment."

Quote:
Gerardo Torres wrote: View Post
What I am really interested in is Suio Ryu history (reliable information in English is scarce) to help me understand this art and its techniques better, that's what really drew my attention to your comment.
There are several sources in English about the Tradition. I recommend you read the following discourse given by the 15th Generation Headmaster, Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro Sensei: http://suioryu-usa.org/bucreates.html

In addition, there is an article in Kendo World, Vol. 2 No.2 (2003), Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan: Part 6, Suio Ryu, written by Antony Cundy, one of my Seniors in the Tradition.

This being said, I would like to suggest, IMHO, that it impossible to understand Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo, and its techniques, unless one commits to its arduous training and experiences them for one's self.

Like one does for Aikido.

Best regards,

Britt Nichols
Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo USA Shibu

AiTe wa Baka Ja Nai
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #29
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Recently I have added Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu to my practice. Tenshinsho is an active,combat form of sword that appears to be very obscure in the United States.Unlike other Iaido forms that I have been aquainted with, Jigen ryu is dynamically aggressive and maintains a primary marriage to combat sensibility .However, it is also the most compatable form of sword with Aikido movement that I have ever been exposd to. The persitance of attack and the speed with which we draw is amazing to combine with aikido. It is very alive.

I am fortunate to train with Phil Ortiz Sensei of the NYC Budokai.www.newyorkbudokai.net/curriculum.html

Here's a link to a demo at CherryBlossom in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6k0LJqIZp4

Does anyone else out there practice Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu?
I'm reviving this thread to stimulate conversation around this topic again. If anyone is practicing Jigen Ryu or has been exposed to it I'd love to hear from you.

Also, I'm hosting an Introductory Workshop at my dojo in Central California. If anyone is in the area please feel free to come by.

More info in the seminars thread.

Best,
Jen Smith

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #30
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
Recently I have added Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu to my practice. Tenshinsho is an active,combat form of sword that appears to be very obscure in the United States.Unlike other Iaido forms that I have been aquainted with, Jigen ryu is dynamically aggressive and maintains a primary marriage to combat sensibility .However, it is also the most compatable form of sword with Aikido movement that I have ever been exposd to. The persitance of attack and the speed with which we draw is amazing to combine with aikido. It is very alive.

I am fortunate to train with Phil Ortiz Sensei of the NYC Budokai.www.newyorkbudokai.net/curriculum.html

Here's a link to a demo at CherryBlossom in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6k0LJqIZp4

Does anyone else out there practice Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu?
Hi All,
I'm still engaged in this practice and I've recently begun a study group in CA. If anyone has been practicing TenShinSho Jigen Ryu (now known as Ryu Shin JIgen), I'd love for you to comment on your practice or contact me with any info that you've found helpful or enjoyable.

Thanks,
Jen Smith

Thanks.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #31
Mekugi
Re: Ten Shinsho Jigen Ryu and Ryushin Jigen Ryu

Hi!

A few of these videos posted on here are mine (the initial one especially). Just a note on that and as to the reason that the titles of the video have changed.

Here we go:
Some of the videos are mislabeled.

There are two groups in them, at least since 2006.

One is Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu and the other is Ryushin Jigen Ryu.

They are separate styles, although the leader of Ryushin Jigen ryu did train with Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu for a long time.

At any rate, the names are indeed an issue. While I am in no position to tell anyone what to do nor an expert on the matter, I do know that they should not be used interchangeably as it is a source of unwanted friction. So, if you are member, just be aware of it.

Anyway, OP's video is taken at Kameido Katori Jinja,to the best of my knowledge this was not a Hanami Matsuri (flower viewing festival) but at the Kokusai Budoin Kobudosai (International Martial Arts Federation Demonstration).

This is kind of a jerky-sounding second posting by a newby, just so you know, I don't really mean to be that way. I just felt that I should mention this.

Thanks for you patience!

-Russ

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes