Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Do symbol Bujin Women's Hakama

Have any of you used them and what did you think of them? I'm slender overall & have a tiny waist, but am blessed/cursed with naturally curvy hips. I always have to buy jeans to fit my hips and then wear a belt to make it fit my waist..... grr.... thank goodness for low-rise jeans! This makes it a little easier for me.

Anywho.... I was wondering which one you have (cotton or twill) and which koshiita you have. I need the hakama for iaido, so I am guessing I will need the original, but I will also need a hakama for aikido and I am wondering if the aiki koshiita will be more comfortable. Does the traditional koshiita have rubber in it instead of something hard?

Also, have you had the pleats sewn? Just curious to see how this worked out for you

Thanks ladies!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Rivka Gates
Re: Bujin Women's Hakama

I bought one of the women's hakama and I really like it. I'm heavy but have about a ten inch difference between my waist and my hips so really needed the extra cut. I have the twill and it's holding up great. I didn't bother to have the pleats sown in, but it's holding the pleats well too. I have the aiki koshita and have had no trouble rolling or falling.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Cady Goldfield
United_States

I had one and it fit the "curves" very well. My understanding was that the way the pleats were set was not traditional, but they helped keep the hakama relatively unwrinkled (I had the 100% cotton) and to maintain its form. And it was fairly easy to fold despite the heavyweight fabric.

My build was stocky back when I was using the hakama (I've lost some weight and have gotten kind of wiry over the past year, so it likely wouldn't fit as well anymore if I still had it). Bujin did a great job tailoring it to spec, and it fit very well when I was using it.

The koshita had some kind of hard but flexible board in it, not rubber. Maybe plastic. It was firm enough to fit to the small of the back, but wasn't brittle or too rigid.

I never cared much for wearing a hakama and don't miss wearing one... never got comfortable in it ... but as hakamas go, the Bujin was a pretty good one.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
RED
United_States

They don't produce them in 35".. the smallest is 37"". they didn't think of me when they produced them.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Maggie - I just ordered a dogi from Steve at Bujin. At least on those, they are keeping their stock very low, and making them as orders come in. It takes 7-10 days before it ships, but the upside is you can order to your specs, at no extra charge. Give 'em a call. This is my second order from them, and I've been very impressed.

I hope I spec'd the right length for my sleeves, so I can stop rolling them up.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
ninjaqutie

United_States

Just an fyi, I asked them about their koshita a while ago and they use a rubber now. Not sure when they switched, but they said it is firm, but very flexible. The 35" you were talking about, is that for your hips? I myself am around 35" or 36" with a 28" waist, so ordering for me should be fun. HAHA.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Suru
United_States

Bujin is a premium manufacturer. I have noticed that their inventory certainly doesn't cost pennies, but having something that lasts long often makes it worth the investment. That is, three cheap hakama @ $50>one durable hakama @ $100. I didn't look up the prices, so this is pretty much a hypothetical. I have been on the site many times, though, and bought a really solid jo from there, not to mention all the tee shirts! I'm actually wearing one with the Japanese maple leaves right now. It's too funny how all my friends think they are cannabis leaves. They actually do look almost identical. I find the tees great, and it's actually fun explaining to people what the leaves really are.

Drew
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Just an fyi, I asked them about their koshita a while ago and they use a rubber now. Not sure when they switched, but they said it is firm, but very flexible.
I was taught many yrs ago by someone from Chicago to use plumber's gasket (a sheet of vulcanized rubber) to replace koshita filling if the cardboard fell apart. I've done it and it does make a wonderful strong, pliable koshita with lots of soft give for rolling and falling.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
ninjaqutie

United_States

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
RED
United_States

Cool, thanks. I have trouble finding gi's and hakamas that fit. I'm like really short, and really hippy. (I'm a Portuguese girl lol)
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
ninjaqutie

United_States

Nothing wrong with being hippy Maggie! I like having a small waist and bigger hips. Women are meant to have some curves.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
RED
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Nothing wrong with being hippy Maggie! I like having a small waist and bigger hips. Women are meant to have some curves.
EXACTLY!! Those extra developed muscles in the hips and thighs can kokyu-ho men twice my size through a wall. lol
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
ninjaqutie

United_States

My husband and I play around and try to knock eachother off balance by hitting each other with our hips. I always win that battle.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
RED
United_States

Yeah we play that game too. He's like 6'3", I'm over a foot shorter. I like to get as low as possible for some techniques when I'm uke just to tease him... he falls over a lot lol
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
ninjaqutie

United_States

Just gotta love doing that. Haha. My husband and I are about the same height, though he weighs more then me.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #16
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Talking Re: Bujin Women's Hakama

Quick update: My Bu Jin dogi arrived. Love it!

The "medium weight" is lighter than I expected (a good thing). I don't know names of fabrics, but I'd say it's made of the same sort of stuff a lab coat might be - smooth, and with some body to it (not flimsy). It's all cotton, except for where the shoulder area and sleeves are lined with CoolMax fabric.

The pants would be a little tight in the hips if I gained 5 pounds, but as I'm aiming to lose another 15 I think that will be OK. The jacket is tight around the hips if I tie the little ties at the corners (not used to those!), but if I don't tie them it fits very nicely. Again, another 15 pounds might fix that issue.

I think the only thing I asked for custom was 27" sleeves, since I've been having to roll up my current ones, leaving a half-inch thick lump to land on. The sleeves on my new one are perfect. Plenty of room for wrist-grabbing (and air circulation).

Anywhoo... Back to discussing hakama. I wouldn't hesistate to order from Bu Jin.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba