Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #26
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikidojo Leiderdorp
Netherlands
Re: What is Aikido to you?

Aikido is what I do, and one of the places I train it is in the dojo

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #27
Darryl Bronson

Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai/Hagerstown, MD
United_States

I have been a fan of Martial Arts since I first saw the Master "Bruce Lee" in the Green Hornet television show, Enter the Dragon and yet no other Martial Art form has become so much apart of my life as Aikido. It keeps me whole, it gives me perspective, I have a solid foundation of life as an Aikidoist. The way of harmony is my way and Aikido is my life.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #28
Guilty Spark

United_States

Welcome chantal

Beautiful replies and descriptions. I'm realizing I'm pretty friggin low brow.

Aikido to me is someone trying to smash me and instead of meeting force with force I'm redirecting the attack. May still end up kicking and punching but the initial contact is an attempt to unbalance.

Last edited by Guilty Spark : 05-24-2009 at 08:50 AM.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Or maybe you're just not the sort of person who needs everything to be deeply meaningful all the time. What's the zen saying about "drink your tea, eat your rice, wear your clothes"?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #30
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Welcome chantal

Aikido to me is someone trying to smash me and instead of meeting force with force I'm redirecting the attack. May still end up kicking and punching but the initial contact is an attempt to unbalance.
Sometimes low brow is the way to go. When something visceral (someone trying to smash you) occurs, if you haven't trained aikido to be a MARTIAL art as well as a martial ART, then you'll gain a new understanding of the role of conflict as you wake up in the emergency department.

Your description is just as apt as any above: both sides are important. Aikido merely as a spiritual exercise is not aikido, just like aikido purely as a physical competition is not aikido.

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #31
Ruairidh
United Kingdom
Smile Re: What is Aikido to you?

i have to say... so far, aikido is great for me i am only at my yellow belt but i am glad i started it. it keeps me more alert in the street, it keeps me a little calmer when agitated, and obviously helps me in self defence.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #32
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Today was my third class.... fourth if you could the introductory I attended before deciding to really give it a shot. The concept of blending with another's movement is nothing new to me its something I do as a mater of course in my equestrian life. The concept of Ki while not known in this name also nothing new to me either as I have always lived in energy and been aware of it in myself and others, but learning to use it intentionally and in a more focused manner is something I am glad to be working on. I spend a large amount of time in Zanshin and Mushin mind sets in my work and every day life although until now I had no idea those concepts had names...

What does Aikido do for me truly? It gives me an outlet. If I am having a bad day at work or I am stressed I just start doing Kata in my head.(my co workers have a strange aversion to grabbing my wrist although I often invite them to do so.) It about never fails to calm me right down. When I have been having a rough week I go to class.. when I arrive I am tense, out of sorts, not feeling great. maybe tired and wondering if maybe I should stay home. When I leave... I feel good. I feel alive. Maybe kinda sore and hurting a bit due to rediscovering some forgotten muscles, but never sorry I went to class. So really right now Aikido is helping me to find and restore my balance. Something that I have not had in a very long time.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #33
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
(my co workers have a strange aversion to grabbing my wrist although I often invite them to do so.)
After three classes?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
After three classes?
pfft no.. after one class actually.Its just fun to mess with their heads. They don't have the first clue what Aikido is. And no I don't go around throwing people for fun.. I'm hardly trained enough to be trying it on my own. You'd have to see me in person and in my work environment to understand their aversion... I can be kinda intimidating to those who don't know me very well in that environment. They are well trained to stay out of the way when I'm super focused.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #35
lbb
United_States

Quote:
pfft no.. after one class actually.Its just fun to mess with their heads. They don't have the first clue what Aikido is.
Seriously? After one aikido class you decided to "mess with [the] heads" of your co-workers by using aikido techniques on them -- because they "don't have the first clue what Aikido is"?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #36
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Personally, I would never "demonstrate" aikido techniques casually in the workplace. I find it inappropriate now, though there were a couple of times in the past where I did do this. Now, if people would like to learn or try aikido, they are welcome to come to the dojo and train for free a couple of times. If they like it, they can pay and keep coming. If not, then not.

No harm in talking about your interests surely. But demonstrating on coworkers? I think my teacher would be a little upset with me.

I have been asked in the past to do a demonstration in the workplace for Bring Your D/Ss to Work Day. So my instructor at the time and several students came in and we did a demonstration (on mats), and if people were interested in some of the controls we gently showed them, with an instructor there to supervise. That seemed to go well.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #37
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States

Quote:
pfft no.. after one class actually.Its just fun to mess with their heads. They don't have the first clue what Aikido is.
Neither, apparently, do you.

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #38
Shadowfax

United_States

I'm sorry you are misunderstanding me. I don't need aikido in order to "play", with my co workers. Never have, never will and don't plan on it. It was a simple attempt at humor that has been taken quite out of context. My apologies for upsetting you.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #39
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Someone on these forums said recently "if you know one thing, teach one thing." I love that idea, because as a brand new newbie (< 1 month) all I know are one or two things, and I'm not real sure about those. It's a good thought that one could still be useful to others even when very inexperienced. So here goes my attempt at teaching one of the few things I'm pretty sure I know.

But first... Cherie and I came to Aikido at the same time, and via the same route (although we don't otherwise know each other). We're both horsepeople, and have worked with the horse trainer (and people trainer) Mark Rashid, who also happens to be a nidan, I believe, in Yoshinkan Aikido, which he applies to his work with horses & people. So far Cherie and I have each had 3-4 Aikido classes. So we have to stick together and help each other out.

Cherie said, in her Introduction post: "I am an extremely green greeni having only had two classes so far, and no sports type background at all much less martial arts."

Cherie, this is where my half-a-clue might come in handy, so here I am offering a hand and pulling you up onto the next step on a very long stairway of stuff to learn. I did a little Tang Soo Do, way back when. One of the things that was impressed on us in that school was that you never "practice" on your friends, or demonstrate, or show off. You don't wear your gi outside of the dojo. You don't go around telling people that you know a thing or two about some martial art. As a newbie, and probably for quite a long time, you don't know enough to keep from hurting someone, and worse, some bozo might decide to challenge you. So don't goof around with this stuff. Or at least that was the Tang Soo Do version, as I remember it from 30 years ago.

I don't recall hearing that lecture so much around Aikido, but I'm taking it as "a given" with any martial art. Having no martial arts background at all I would guess you haven't gotten that particular talking-to. No worries, now you know.

Moving (slowly) toward harmony,
Linda

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #40
brianb
Dojo: kirokan
United Kingdom

after one or two classes you wouldnt know proper tech?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #41
Shadowfax

United_States

Please show me where I said I practice on my co-workers. My statement was that they have an aversion to grabbing my wrist. To be honest if I had invited them to do so before aikido they would have declined.But when they learned I had taken up a martial art and being clueless as they are they reacted as if it were a big deal. Once more I will say this. I am sorry people misunderstood. If I were able to I'd delete the posts so as to not further stumble others.

I do not now never have and never will "demonstrate(d) any aikido on anyone outside of the dojo. Other than telling my friends and Co-workes that I am taking and immensely enjoying Aikido I do not discuss technique with them. That would be pointless and irresponsible.

And I certainly don't wear my Gi outside of it.. all that white. Ugh I don't think so.

Thank you Linda for your attempt at support, even though you also seem to have jumped tot he conclusion that I was doing something I was not.

Now can we please move on?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #42
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Please show me where I said I practice on my co-workers. My statement was that they have an aversion to grabbing my wrist. To be honest if I had invited them to do so before aikido they would have declined.But when they learned I had taken up a martial art and being clueless as they are they reacted as if it were a big deal.
That's why I'm pretty careful about who I tell that I practice a martial art, and how much I talk about it with those who do know. Popular misconceptions, the fact that it's not a common pastime (which leads to a kind of, "Why are you telling me this?" reaction) and the all-too-common "I could take you" reaction make it generally a lose. I think most people at work know, but it's better to let it be thought of as a slightly nerdy physical activity, kind of like the guy down the hall who plays competitive ultimate frisbee.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #43
Linda Eskin

United_States

Hi Brian,

We're well into that area where my knowledge runs out, so I hope someone with more experience will jump in, but... My assumption is that even if we (as brand new newbies) could adequately manage a technique or two, there are a hundred things we don't know. I don't know the physiology of how each wrist lock works. I have no idea of all the ways I could accidentally injure someone (particularly a non-aikidoka, uncooperative uke-friend) by wrenching their elbow the wrong way. I can barely figure out where my feet go, never mind anticipating what uke could do to take me down while I'm trying to remember which way to twist their arm.

I was injured taking a fall the wrong way in my 4th class. I finally (after 3 weeks) get to go back tonight, but no falling/rolling for 3 weeks. And oh yeah, it *hurts*. And that's a trivially minor sprain-type injury that should heal uneventfully. We newbies can do a lot worse.

I think of the "don't mess around with this stuff" idea in very much the same way I would think of handling firearms. One should not take a few lessons at a pistol range, and then go around town carrying a gun, thinking they are trained in using it. Certainly pointing one's shiny new pistol at a friend just to give them a scare would Not Be Done. One would also not go around boasting about having a weapon.

When we're new enough to want to "practice" on our friends, we're not good enough. When we're good enough, we finally know better.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 06-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #44
Linda Eskin

United_States

Hi Cherie,

Oops, we posted at the same time. Now I see your latest.

My apologies for jumping to conclusions. "Grab my wrist" is typically the cry of the newbie trying/demonstrating techniques on friends, so I assumed that's what you'd done. I understand now that you hadn't - thank you for clearing that up.

In any case, it's a useful discussion, and I'm sure someone will learn from it.

Cheers,
Linda

Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #45
Karo
United_States

Aikido to me is a path. Where the path will take me, will in time be revealed.

From the reports of those who walked it before me, I know the path will be challenging. Sometimes it goes uphill, sometimes downhill. Sometimes it's wide and smooth, sometimes rocky and narrow. Sometimes you walk it in the light of a summer day, sometimes struggle uncertainly in the darkness and cold. But forward, always forward.

The faces of those who walked it are beautiful and calm.

So whatever it is, I want it. Wherever it may take me, I will follow.

(Okay, I did not suspect myself of such poetic inclinations... )

Karo
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #46
franklaubach
Philippines

it is a wonderful japanese martial art.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #47
Akako110

Dojo: Bend Aiki martial arts: Takayama dojo
United_States

To me Aikido is not just a martial art it's a place where I can just relax and it just kind of... Rejuvenates me.
Also it's a good place to be when down on my luck and maybe my parents are getting on my nerves. Aikido (as well as all martial arts)
is like my haven, and the people there are like my second family!! I love it there!!

"Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends.
-Virginia Wool"
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #48
Douglas Fajardo
Dojo: budo aiki dojo aikikai
Cuba

Aikido is like a empty glass of water, more water but still empty
Thatīs why is so dificult to learn ,thatīs why is so dificult to understand,
Aikido is a Master piece
Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #49
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

These days Aikido for me is a tradition of self-mastery.

Gambarimashyo!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!