Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Request for reviews

I recently discovered the Book, video, equipment, and DVD review sections on this website. What an amazingly valuable potential resource. But I also noticed that most of the items have very few or no reviews posted.

Personally I tend to want to read and view as much materiel on a subject I am interested in as I can. Seeing what others thought about a particular book do DVD would help me in making the selections that I would get the most benefit from.

So I am asking all of you to take the time to go and post a review on something(s) you have read or viewed in your aikido Journey. let us know how it helped you, entertained you, or even if you found it to not be what you were looking for at the time.

Thank you.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States
Re: Request for reviews

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
I recently discovered the Book, video, equipment, and DVD review sections on this website. What an amazingly valuable potential resource. But I also noticed that most of the items have very few or no reviews posted.

Personally I tend to want to read and view as much materiel on a subject I am interested in as I can. Seeing what others thought about a particular book do DVD would help me in making the selections that I would get the most benefit from.

So I am asking all of you to take the time to go and post a review on something(s) you have read or viewed in your aikido Journey. let us know how it helped you, entertained you, or even if you found it to not be what you were looking for at the time.

Thank you.
The Spirit of Aikido by Kisshumaru Ueshiba, the best book on Aikido you can read IMHO
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi

If one likes his aikido I recommend the DVDs of Endo Seishiro Shihan.

I am not sure wether this is ok, because in most german forums "product placement" isn't allowed.
But I earn nothing. I'm just a "believer" as someone in this forum stated recently.

There are three DVDs showing the basics:

One DVD is showing just his kihon waza. During seminars Endo sensei doesn't practice much technique or kihon, so here you can see how he interpretes the kihon of aikido.

One DVD shows his concept of contact and blending: atari and musubi. Exercises, created to learn what happens between shite and aite.

The other one shows the entrances to the different attacks and how to move your partner (even if he/she doesn't want to): sabaki and tsukai.

Then there are three DVDs which show his way of aikido by reflecting his seminars.

The first one "Seminar in Washington, D.C." was recorded at a seminar in October 2007 hosted by Capital Aikikai in Washington DC.
The abstract says: "Recorded throughout the weekend, this DVD features Endo sensei's teachings introducing his core concepts. The emphases on softness, atari (engagement, connection) and self-awareness can be seen in his explanations and demonstrations with various partners. The presentation moves from principle-centered exercises to more standard aikido attacks and techniques."

The second one "Stillness and Movement as One and Two-Attacker Practice" shows his actual themes: How to becom calm and how to deal with two opponents.
I visited his seminar some weeks ago and this DVD really captured, what I experienced.

The third one will come in July: "Katatedori. Basic Practice Methods"

The DVDs are linked together and espacially the seminar DVDs to the basic ones by tags which are displayed for reference to corresponding chapters on the basic DVDs.

I see Endo very seldom, just once a year an I was wondering this yeat wether what I learn from the DVDs would correspond what he really teaches in his seminar. It does.
They are so well arranged that it really works to learn from them.

And you can look them like a movie.

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 06-25-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Thank you for the input. I have read and greatly enjoyed "Aikido for Life" and "The Way of Aikido". This is the type of reading I am currently interested in. I also just purchased and enjoyed the DVD "The Art of Falling", because I am trying to work on improving my Ukemi.

Rather than product placement what I am looking for is for people to visit those links over there on the left side of the screen in blue. See the ones that say reviews? Over there <----- you can freely discuss specific products. And people like me can look them over and make choices based on other peoples experiences.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help out a beginner like myself.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
akiy

The reviews section may be found here at this URL:

http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/

Any and all thoughts on the products in the database would benefit everyone who comes to browse the products! Also, if people could add any aikido products not yet in the database, that, too, would help out the community. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

The Aikido of Shin-Budo Kai - A new book profiles Shizuo Imaizumi Sensei and the practice of SBK Aikido