Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
ninjaqutie
 
ninjaqutie's Avatar
Dojo: Searching for a new home
Location: Delaware (<3 still in Oregon!)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,003
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Wow... I am so sorry to hear this! I suggest you sit down and have a talk with your wife or maybe go see a counselor together. Even if this girl leaves your class, it is just a temporary fix. She still has a lot of insecurity issues. Getting rid of every girl that joins your class just isn't fair to you. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 813
Malaysia
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Maybe you should spend more time with your wife and find out what the problem really is.

Jealousy is a symptom not a disease. By the way, read the book Blink just to get some insights.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #28
Guilty Spark
 
Guilty Spark's Avatar
Location: Flordia
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 300
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Acooper sounds like a horrible teacher and approaching what I would term, an asshole.

"I honestly wish this girl would quit. So my wife would get off my back and let me teach the way I am used to. I work for the city so I can't really just kick her out.Maybe if I start making class super hard she will give up and leave."

His wife is crazy jealous. [Let's assume that Acooper isn't doing what guys sometimes do and makes their wives jealous on purpose OR the wife has due cause to be jeaous.]

His wife is jealous of this girl so what does he consider doing?
Making the class hard for one of his students so they'll quit.

If he isn't doing anything inappropriate in class then he should sort out his issues with his wife, not placate her.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
JangChoe
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Maybe his wife is cheating/has cheated on him. The guilt turns into jealousy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #30
ninjaqutie
 
ninjaqutie's Avatar
Dojo: Searching for a new home
Location: Delaware (<3 still in Oregon!)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,003
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

That is true. Usually the one who is accusing has done or is doing it. Not always, but often enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #31
Rabih Shanshiry
 
Rabih Shanshiry's Avatar
Location: Boston/MA
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 197
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Acooper sounds like a horrible teacher and approaching what I would term, an asshole.
Your points are valid but this was harsh and not terribly helpful.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
Guilty Spark
 
Guilty Spark's Avatar
Location: Flordia
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 300
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Your points are valid but this was harsh and not terribly helpful.
Perhaps harsh my friend but is it harsher than me running you out of my dojo because my wife/husband doesn't like you?

How about because you're Jewish or African American?

The poster doesn't seem to see anything wrong with the idea of ruining someones Aikido training because of an issue at home.

I see that as selfish spiteful and unprofessional.

How would you feel if the next time you showed up to class your sensei really started cranking it up and making your class so hard that you quit - come to find out later he did it on purpose because he didn't like your skin colour or back round?

I don't think this is a case where kiddy gloves and beating around the bush is the right advice.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #33
Johann Baptista
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
Location: Davis, CA
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Brazil
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

To Grant Wagar:

- May he who has never sinned, cast the first stone.

To the poster:

- Let your wife participate in one class (with the woman), to show her how Aikido is taught.

- If you force this student to quit, you may sever this studentīs Aikido path forever and have avoided an obstacle that would have given you and your wife a wonderful opportunity to grow as people.

- Johann
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #34
Adam Huss
 
Adam Huss's Avatar
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 611
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Okay,

I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't really want his student to quit...he was probably just exaggerating to express his level of stress to the thread.

Lynn and Atillio make good points: when a woman (or man) feels neglected they will do stupid things to get attention (this is due to a person being weak and relying on other people/things to make them happy, not offend your wife...many people are like this). One of the best ways to get the attention of your mate is to accuse them of infidelity...but that is not constructive attention.

Jang could also be right, however hopefully not.

To the OP: Aikido is a part of who you are, both before you met your wife and since. If she can't accept that part of you, she doesn't accept you completely...which needs to be addressed.

Likely there are deeper issues (ie jealousy of the time you put into aikido vice her...maybe she doesn't know the root to her problems). I hope the both of you can discover them and work them out.

All the best,
A

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #35
Keith Larman
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,523
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

I'm pretty sure the situation has probably been "resolved" one way or the other given the original post was in 6/2008...

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #36
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,629
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
1) In my not-so-humble opinion, since the original poster is technically the prime mover in all of this (ie, "man of the house", and head teacher of his own dojo), he has no one to embarrass but himself. For this particular case of jealous-wife, I don't consider it a fair and worthwhile use of the Anonymous forum.

2) this thread is 6 months old.

3) let it die...
I disagree, this is precisely what the anonymous forum should be used for.

As for the problem at hand, relationship counseling is certainly in order. It might very well bring out the need for individual counseling but one can't tell from what has been said. But certainly there is stuff going on here and I would strongly recommend getting some help on it.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #37
"kipi"
IP Hash: 7bec3b89
Anonymous User
Disgust Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Cooper,
Listen to me before its too late! D-I-V-O-R-C-E!
I am a Psychologist and I have lived Aikido since 1989. This is not a problem with you nor of your student. even if you kick your student out or quit aikido altogether, it will not solve your problem. Your wife will simply find another object of her jealousy.
This is not about lacking trust or being suspicious anymore. This is about psychological control. Just as rapists aren't motivated by just the need for sex but by the need for power, women like that are using jealousy as an excuse to assert their absolute control over you. I betcha she also uses maneuvers to make you feel guilty or to make herself look pitiful in order to sway not just your actions but also the opinions of people around you.
Don't try to be a miracle worker. She is not going to change anytime soon. They never do. I say no more of this marriage counseling BS. Bail out now! Don't wait for a fight or an excuse to explain your decision, just cut her loose ASAP. And that means NOW.
A divorce has best chances of being more civil when it is not precipitated by a fight. If kids are involved, try to agree on custody and visitation but bottom line is, you need to do this now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #38
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Cooper,
Listen to me before its too late! D-I-V-O-R-C-E!
I am a Psychologist and I have lived Aikido since 1989. This is not a problem with you nor of your student. even if you kick your student out or quit aikido altogether, it will not solve your problem. Your wife will simply find another object of her jealousy.
This is not about lacking trust or being suspicious anymore. This is about psychological control. Just as rapists aren't motivated by just the need for sex but by the need for power, women like that are using jealousy as an excuse to assert their absolute control over you. I betcha she also uses maneuvers to make you feel guilty or to make herself look pitiful in order to sway not just your actions but also the opinions of people around you.
Don't try to be a miracle worker. She is not going to change anytime soon. They never do. I say no more of this marriage counseling BS. Bail out now! Don't wait for a fight or an excuse to explain your decision, just cut her loose ASAP. And that means NOW.
A divorce has best chances of being more civil when it is not precipitated by a fight. If kids are involved, try to agree on custody and visitation but bottom line is, you need to do this now.
Kipi:

I am also a licensed psychologist and Aikido instructor who is appalled by your comments. I strongly suggest that you review APA ethics guidelines. You should simply state things as your personal opinion, rather than an implied professional opinion regarding someone you have never met, treated, or evaluated before. My personal opinion is that you have made an a lot of opinions and recommendations based upon scant information. I could go on further, but my parents told me to say nothing at all, rather than some unkind words...

Marc Abrams
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #39
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 903
United_States
Offline
Angry Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Cooper,
Listen to me before its too late! D-I-V-O-R-C-E!
I am a Psychologist and I have lived Aikido since 1989. This is not a problem with you nor of your student. even if you kick your student out or quit aikido altogether, it will not solve your problem. Your wife will simply find another object of her jealousy.
This is not about lacking trust or being suspicious anymore. This is about psychological control. Just as rapists aren't motivated by just the need for sex but by the need for power, women like that are using jealousy as an excuse to assert their absolute control over you. I betcha she also uses maneuvers to make you feel guilty or to make herself look pitiful in order to sway not just your actions but also the opinions of people around you.
Don't try to be a miracle worker. She is not going to change anytime soon. They never do. I say no more of this marriage counseling BS. Bail out now! Don't wait for a fight or an excuse to explain your decision, just cut her loose ASAP. And that means NOW.
A divorce has best chances of being more civil when it is not precipitated by a fight. If kids are involved, try to agree on custody and visitation but bottom line is, you need to do this now.
I don't know any councilor that would tell some one who is not their patient, who they do not know something this brass!

Plus, every story has two sides, and we only have the Mr.'s side. And you'd make a "professional" opinion based on this little information. You might be telling a man to destroy his family for all you know.

You're so not a real psychiatrist. If you were you'd be a little more concerned with your liability in telling some one something this drastic. You are responsible legally if he takes your advise, if you are claiming to be a professional. An actual psychiatrist would realize this, and never put their license on the line.

Last edited by RED : 04-28-2010 at 05:47 PM.

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #40
Kwizxi
Dojo: Northampton Kai Shin Kai
Location: Northampton
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 22
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

is it me, or was this thread started in 2008? If that's the case, I'm sure it has been sorted out, one way or another by now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 903
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Quote:
Chrissy Mitchell wrote: View Post
is it me, or was this thread started in 2008? If that's the case, I'm sure it has been sorted out, one way or another by now.
Zombie threads occur from time to time.

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
C. David Henderson
Location: Santa Fe New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 606
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

Which is one of the things that makes Anonymous-Psychologist-Guy's advice sort of funny, that he'd tell someone he doesn't know who reported a problem in 2008 to take drastic action "NOW."

Tell me, would you take drastic advice that doesn't even take into account the minimal information that is available from a stranger on the web who stands on his supposed credentials while ignoring basic professional ethics and declining to reveal his name? (An assumption of gender, admittedly, based on the threatened-by-women tone of some of what Anonymous said.)

What a jokester.

David Henderson
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #43
"asdfjl17795"
IP Hash: cda9ad16
Anonymous User
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

There is nothing you can do but show her that it is truly her you love. Give her a kiss in the dojo if you got to. Whatever it takes to make her happy and comfortable my friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #44
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 882
United_States
Offline
Re: jealous wife is cramping my teaching style

As one of my clients said to me just the other day....

What do you call a Dr who graduated at the bottom of his class?

Doctor.

Kinda wonder how it all came out.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 08:31 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 3 Peter Goldsbury Columns 16 05-28-2007 06:24 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 2 Peter Goldsbury Columns 3 04-19-2007 04:53 AM
Which Teaching Style Do you...... Jermaine Alley Teaching 1 09-10-2002 03:24 PM
Aki-Jitsu The One General 40 04-01-2001 03:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate