Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
dps
Jazz & Aikido; Theory & Practice

http://arsy.org/archives/2007_06_06_archive.html

Difference Between Theory and Practice
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

(((((" I have been learning the real difference between theory and practice lately...

Every Tuesday night at Crawdaddy's Resturant in Visalia there is an open jam. The sit in musicians are seasoned players with depth in jazz...which is my passion. Because I don't get many opportunities to play upright bass jazz I've been hanging out there on Tuesdays trying to pick up what I can.

I usually end up getting lost in a song. I use it to discover where I'm lacking. At home I practice, learn the theory behind the music, and try to internalize the emotion of the song. However, when next Tuesday rolls around, I still find myself getting lost in the song.

Last night was a turning point for me. Finally I was able to hang on to two songs all the way through. I even picked up on a new one that was thrown out...at least well enough to play with some level of conviction.

Through this process I was reminded that there is a real difference between theory and practice. It is something often underestimated. You can talk about theory but it takes real practice to "do".

Richard Caetano))))))

David

Last edited by dps : 04-28-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Jazz & Aikido; Theory & Practice

As one of my aikido teachers used to say to me:

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they are not..."

Heh.

So, how does the above article that David posted relate to people's experiences in aikido?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

My practice has essentially been sparse and my theory has been essentially strong. I think that my training was at its best when I was regularly doing both and that they fed into each other. I would think about what I practiced at keiko and visualize the changes I wanted try to make the next time at class. I would then practice in order to see how it felt. For example i remember focusing on really extending through my "pinky line" from the pinky, along the ulna and tricept as a way of playing with yang/heavy ki and gradually, through the practice, I felt better rooted ("heavier").
...of course, years of theory have since emptied that tea cup a bit.
Time for a lot more practice.
p.s. nice article

Last edited by mathewjgano : 04-28-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
majin29
Canada

Oddly enough, my jazz proff's at university also trained in martial arts. Interesting correlation. Perhaps the whole improvisation of combat and adapting to the situation is like riffing over chord changes. The outlined fundaments of every fight are present but it's up to the improvisational fight skills of the combatants to ensure a victorious outcome....or something like that.

I seek not to know all the answers but to understand the questions

Please visit our sponsor:

Long Island Asian Studies Center - Classes: Aiki Budo/Chi Gong/Tai Chi, Author of: Searching For O'Sensei