Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #326
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Who Sez O'Sensei Was Wise!

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
FWIW, when I mentioned Karate, I once again **assumed** readers as well versed martial artists, who would know that I was speaking about stuff like Shotokan's Kuns and training precepts, and other writings. That's all and nothing else besides they are written so much clear- like I said- than the Aikido stuff.
Hmmm....I consider myself a *fairly* well versed matial artist , not to mention having actually *trained* in shotokan at one time. But hey, that was a pretty knock down dojo in Africa...I don't think I heard a kun once the whole time I trained there (saw a lot of stars though).

If that is what you meant, then why not state it clearly? Oh dear...I believe we're back where you and I started. So Sorry...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #327
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:

I appreciate where you are going, and my concern would be the same if we where both held to the common discussion. I would reject the common discussion advoiding that it employs the easy turn gambit. Such a device results in only squelching critical thought and intellectual exploration. Therefore, I hope you understand I am beyond that level of discussion to avoid that turn that will only distract from the discussion.
Sorry, but I didn't track this. What "common discussion?" Am I part of the common discussion? It's okay if I am (and maybe I'd prefer to be), but I don't really know what you mean.

What does "easy turn gambit" mean? Does this mean my post looked like thread drift? A rhetorical trick? Sorry if it did -- that wasn't my intent.

How does recognizing the shadow side of intellectualizing "squelch" thought (as opposed to recognizing its' limits)?

How have you gotten "beyond [this] level of discussion?" In this thread? If I am reploughing the furrows, sorry.

With whom are you now having a discussion from which this "turn ... will only distract?"

Quote:
It is up to each of us to determine personally what fits us, is it the original (O'Sensei's composition) or the alternatives (composition and interpretation of uchideshi)
OK.

Quote:
Alternatives have no assessed judgment, but rather the point of understanding the alternatives are interpretation composites based on original.
Again, sorry, I didn't track this. What do you mean "no assessed judgment?" What do you see as gained by understanding these "composites," either in terms of your practice or in terms of understanding the "original?"

Quote:
Filters etc. interfere with the proper perspective and scale of Aikido.
To me, any intellectual construct you have about Aikido is per se a filter. Filtering your practice through your (re)construction of the "original" seems no different.

Can you articulate what you are looking for in arriving at the understanding you seek in terms of your practice?

Regards,

cdh
Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #328
Buck
United_States

Quote:
David Henderson wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I didn't track this. What "common discussion?" Am I part of the common discussion? It's okay if I am (and maybe I'd prefer to be), but I don't really know what you mean.

What does "easy turn gambit" mean? Does this mean my post looked like thread drift? A rhetorical trick? Sorry if it did -- that wasn't my intent.

How does recognizing the shadow side of intellectualizing "squelch" thought (as opposed to recognizing its' limits)?

How have you gotten "beyond [this] level of discussion?" In this thread? If I am reploughing the furrows, sorry.

With whom are you now having a discussion from which this "turn ... will only distract?"

OK.

Again, sorry, I didn't track this. What do you mean "no assessed judgment?" What do you see as gained by understanding these "composites," either in terms of your practice or in terms of understanding the "original?"

To me, any intellectual construct you have about Aikido is per se a filter. Filtering your practice through your (re)construction of the "original" seems no different.

Can you articulate what you are looking for in arriving at the understanding you seek in terms of your practice?

Regards,

cdh
Dave, my friend, sorry.

Let me get to the things you didn't track. Which had nothing to do with you. Let me purport .

1. Common discussion. The common discussion I was referring to is those familiar common arguments. I was referring to the ritual argument dance that happens allot, but with you we could expedite the discussion and stuff, and go right to the heart of things.

2. Easy turn gambit and intellectual squelching. The first has double meanings or layers of meanings. It first refers to a stratagem of many who argue with those familiar common arguments, includes but not limited to those thingies. In this case, "turn" refers to divert, to fashion, to shape the arguments into a drift. And no it had nothing to do with you. Rather those would pull the thread off track because they lacked anything intellectual to add. Thus, intellectually squelching the discussions, and spinning the discussion deeper in a rut they created.

3. No assessed judgement. No value judgement made on the value of the Alternatives or their directions. Thus, no related value or gain upon the alternatives in comparisons to the original. Of course, unto themselves there is gain and value. I am basically canceling the alternatives out the of discussion as they are a result of the original. It is the original and not the alternatives that I am interested in.

It is not a matter of a construct or reconstruct of the original. That would apply more to the alternatives. The original is as it is. It is the observation of that, without filters etc. Seeing it as it is, and not what we want or need it to see it as.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #329
Buck
United_States

Quote:

Regards,

cdh[/i]
The question is do I want to?

What that post was to lead up to was this. Take "Budo Training in Aikido." The poem section relates to the Techniques sections. The Poem section written in the tradition of Japanese martial code, as noted as a common practice by Gozo Shioda in his book, and is decoded as via the techniques in the Techniques sections. This supports that understanding of the role and influence of Shinto etc. played in the composition of Aikido. Then this of course helps us to understand the complexity of O'Sensei's work which can be deciphered. Whereas, in comparison to, Shotokan which is much less complex by comparison. Being complex often refers to being cryptic and in this case it does. But it doesn't mean it can't be deciphered with some thought. By looking at the models from which O'Sensei used can help in understanding what he was meaning.

Last edited by Buck : 04-02-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #330
Buck
United_States

Dave,

It isn't "With whom are you now having a discussion from which this 'turn ... will only distract?' " It is who will chime in and will be ignored for their easy turn gambit in common discussion. And that is now evident a handful of posts back.

Last edited by Buck : 04-02-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #331
C. David Henderson
United_States

Okay Buck,

First, thanks for responding.

Second, while I appreciate your kind words, they point to what is probably a difference in our personalities, in that I'm uncomfortable drawing lines when trying to communicate. (Guess I have those pragmatic communicative assumptions that Peter writes about in his current column well -inculcated.)

Not saying you're wrong, and I respect your honest expression of opinion here. And, in any event, to paraphrase the Latin saying, in some such matters there can be no reasoned dispute.

This saying likely does not hold true as to the concept of clearly-seeing without filters, e.g., clearly-seeing O'Sensei's Budo through reading, research and analysis. But I do understand you hold to this view strongly, and must now, having had a go at reasoned disputation, agree to disagree.

I have also, FWIW, come to my own conclusion in considering this debate: If I were committed to understanding the "original," I think I would need to not only practice over my lifetime in the way O'Sensei would have wanted (which I don't think I clearly know), but also understand, share, and practice his religion (which I think I clearly could not do).

To see from inside the mist surrounding the man whatever one sees from there, rather than translating the poetry into prose.

So, I conclude, I'm bound to be a composite man.

Regards,

cdh
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #332
Mark Peckett
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of Great Britain
United Kingdom

Because apparently I wasn't a well-versed martial artist, I had a look at the kun of Shotokan karate - both the dojo and niju kun - and I have to agree with Mr. Burgess: they are simpler than O'Sensei's writings. But I would suggest that this is because they are attempting to serve a different purpose; and once again, agreeing with Mr. Burgess, a very Japanese one - to develop a particular type of character who would be suited to a certain type of society.

Having said that: "Move according to your opponent" and "Spiritual development is paramount; technical skills are merely a means to an end" seem to resonate with some of O'Sensei's doka. Again this would seem to support Mr. Burgess's theory of the arts viewed within a certain society.

Of course, Karate came from Okinawa, and before that from China (Kara-te only later was translated as Empty Hand; initially the translation of Kara was China - again illustrating Mr. Burgess's point that you can never actually know if what you are reading is correct or not), so it's difficult to know which precepts or teachings you should be going back to.

I think this illustrates my point that all things change (I think Mr. Burgess made this point somewhere else in another thread about "What is a Martial Art?") If Aikido teaches us anything, it is that we should respond to change.

Oh and by the way, Mr. Burgess, congratulations on your attempt to bring Japanese culture into this thread, referring to me by my second name only. Of course, if you were being polite, you'd've put -san at the end. But maybe you were simply being humorous at your own expense.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #333
Buck
United_States

Dave,

I hear ya. I am in the belief that reasonable discussions include points of differences etc. that promote more inquire and thought to the subject. We both understand each other, and on this subject differ in opinion without the need to lower ourselves to nasty ( that has not nor I think will ever happened between us), therefore, this creates and stimulates a better discussion. I would feel uncomfortable if someone like yourself didn't see things the same way as I. I am glad you respond and challenge my thoughts, as you do, that has to happen. I don't claim to be infallible in by views. You and someothers do make re-think, it is appreciated. After all, all it is, is opinions.

The issue I have is with the peanut gallery discussion, those who can't contribute to the discussion and throw mud as a result, among other things primates in Zoos do. The reason being is not because it is annoying or something, but because it doesn't contribute to a reasonable discussion. It is empty comments often tied into emotional reactions. There is nothing wrong with being passionate it is when we lose our emotional and intellectual kuzushi that failure is evident.

As a result of the latter, It would be better if our discussions where private, but that only benefits us, and not those others genuinely interested in the topic.

I look forward to reading your stuff, and you replies, and ideas.

Now the thing with Peter's Column, I do agree. The issue that I have is in retarding the amount of that, that has an influence on my views. I am trying not to have that element function strongly in what I say. That, I think, is what I have some control over and how it plays in the discussion.

I do find it very interesting about O'Sensei married the elements of traditional Japanese martial art thought and Shinto's infrastructure in his book. Where the way the poems are written so cryptic and the deciphering tool is the wazas. It to me, is clear as day as for example in poem #38 of his book.

When you instruct
Emphasize the strike and thrust
For all the secret teachings
are to be found in simple basics

If you look at O'Sensei's Aikido as a composite and look at what he referenced to build Aikido, WOW. He is not throwing anything out from the past but building on it in relation to the new future of things. i think this can be applied to other areas and thought concerning O'Sensei. Does this make him wise? Does it make him holy? Or a genius to be worshiped No. It makes him far more complex, and appreciate the difficult of his mission. Some I feel can be considered looking at him clearer in his original constitution and not that of what others painted him to be.

Last edited by Buck : 04-03-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #334
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Mark Peckett wrote: View Post

Oh and by the way, Mr. Burgess, congratulations on your attempt to bring Japanese culture into this thread, referring to me by my second name only. Of course, if you were being polite, you'd've put -san at the end. But maybe you were simply being humorous at your own expense.
Dude, I am using last names so that I won't get you and Matt mixed up, as I did before see post #320 . . If we are going by last names, I pefer sama over san.

Last edited by Buck : 04-03-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #335
Mark Peckett
United Kingdom

Okay - so to continue as a primate slinging mud (although interesting, did anyone see that piece in the news about the chimp in a Swedish zoo who apparently planned his stone attacks the night before by piling up stones, thereby demonstrating that he could plan for future events; this challenges our view on the intelligence of primates. The scientists' response? Castrate the poor dude!)

Anyway to continue, I understand that Burgess-sama (unusual choice of honorific for oneself as it tends to be used when addressing people of a higher rank; however, if you intended to use it for me, then I am honoured) is taking the position outlined in Plato's Republic, whereby we are sitting in a cave with our backs to the light and seeing shadows projected on a wall. And he is recommending the Platonic solution - which is to turn to the entrance to the cave and see the substance rather than the shadow. This in itself I regard as a wise enterprise: attempting to see O'Sensei clearly rather than the shadows projected by the interpreters of his word.

Where I differ, and clearly I am not explaining this well, is that a priori judgements always get in the way and it is not possible to perceive the heart of aikido through the intellect alone. D.T. Suzuki, the renowned interpreter of Zen Buddhism to the West said:

"The teaching and practice of Morihei Ueshiba is at one with that of Mahayana Buddhism, and also the way of Zen ... Ueshiba's experience is definitely what is referred to in the Far East as satori."

Satori itself could be regarded as seeing the universe as it truly is, rather than perceiving it through intellectual filters. It is the experience of Gautama Buddha. It is Enlightenment. It is my belief, rightly or wrongly, but nevertheless firmly held, that O'Sensei's desire was that through practice of aikido we would also experience either Satori or Kensho, brief flashes of Enlightenment.

I guess Burgess-sama and I are at a stage where we are not prepared to move from certain positions we hold as we regard them as sacred and fundamental to our being.

I trust all continues to go well with his intellectual search for The Truth and I feel sure that he will accord the same to me as I continue to follow my path.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #336
C. David Henderson
United_States

Dear Mark,

Thank you, my friend, for the quote from Suzuki Sama, which I'd not encountered previously. It raises a question for me, relevant to this thread -- does satori make one wise?

I rather think not.

Satori may give one a thirst, a receptivity, and (as receptivity's shadow) an obsession for wisdom.

I rather think that O'Sensei's revelations provided direction for his life, and what wisdom he attained thereafter was hard-won, as it is for us all, if nonetheless defined by memories of a certain golden light....

But, then, as I read this, it has the taste and look of incipient myth.

There I go again.

Regards,

cdh
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #337
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Dear Mark,

Thank you, my friend, for the quote from Suzuki Sama, which I'd not encountered previously. It raises a question for me, relevant to this thread -- does satori make one wise?

I rather think not.

cdh
D T Suzuki also needs to be seen in a certain context. A new book on Buddhism, written by a scholar named Bernard Faure, offers the context. Unmasking Buddhism. published 2009 by Wiley Blackwell. ISBN 978-1-4051-8064-1.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #338
Mark Peckett
United Kingdom

Chogyam Trungpa doesn't come out as a shiny Buddhist either! But his books contain wisdom.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #339
C. David Henderson
United_States

Well,

"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity,"

suggests the quote attributed to Suzuki Shunryū Roshi (who incidentally also insisted, when confused with D.T. Suzuki that the latter was the "big" Suzuki, and he the "little")....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #340
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Just a note on the whole "sama" thingy...I've been told that lately it's the address that a shop keeper might use as they try to sell you something. In everyday speach, in other words, it may came across as rather smarmy...

Just my peanut (or whatever) from the gallery (or cheap seats) or what ever you prefer.
B,
R

PS the last person who suggested I was a monkey got hit over the head with a chair...I wouldn't recommend calling me that in person... Of course, that was in elementary school...I would never do such a thing now.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #341
Buck
United_States

O'Tisdale Sensei.....ummm.....monkey see, monkey doo doo?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #342
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
O'Tisdale Sensei.....ummm.....monkey see, monkey doo doo?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #343
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Just a note on the whole "sama" thingy...I've been told that lately it's the address that a shop keeper might use as they try to sell you something. In everyday speach, in other words, it may came across as rather smarmy...
It's used as a form of address in addresses and written documents. It is generally not used in everyday speech, except as a joke, or little old ryokan okami-san addressing customers as "okyaku-sama".

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #344
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Thanks Josh.

Hey Keith, don't sweat the small stuff...I don't!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #345
C. David Henderson
United_States

Dear Ron,

I respect that you can let comments like that roll off you without engaging.

However, I think they are inconsistent with the following view, which rather disappoints me, since the author is the same person as the one whose gib you graciously are ignoring:

Quote:
The issue I have is with the peanut gallery discussion, those who can't contribute to the discussion and throw mud as a result, among other things primates in Zoos do. The reason being is not because it is annoying or something, but because it doesn't contribute to a reasonable discussion.
Maybe the dig at you subjectively was intended as a joke, but, I didn't dig it.

Regards,

cdh
Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #346
Buck
United_States

Now that Ron feels a part of the discussion, and no where did I ever state his name or refer to him in any way, or quote him, respond to him etc*. Cause, I usually politely ignore him just because of what is happening to the thread now when he posts. So now that is cleared up. And this time, I was just playing, taking a break from the thread. No insult was intended. *Refer to post #326

Now that intermission is over let's return back to the discussion.

Last edited by Buck : 04-07-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #347
Buck
United_States

I really find that the root is O'Sensei of Aikido, but is our perspectives accurate of him. Are we interpreting him correctly. It scares people to have their beliefs questioned and their foundations shaken. But, it is essential in my view to see O'Sensei as he was and what he did in as he did it. Not have it filtered, or adjusted, or that kind of stuff.

I want to refer back to decoding O'Sensei, where his poems being so abstract, but can be decoded from the techniques he published. You have the coupling of the abstract with the tangible makin it universally complete. That is me talking.

I think that secret is over looked in plain sight.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #348
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Thanks Josh.

Hey Keith, don't sweat the small stuff...I don't!

Best,
Ron
Well, sometimes the small stuff is bad even in small doses.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #349
Buck
United_States

I want to make it clear, my comment to Ron was in jest as self -effacing (me being the butt of the joke) as it was. Let me break it down for the readers. First "Monkey see, monkey doo doo." Refers to me, if anyone knows the term Monkey see, monkey do understands that means to copy. It commonly refers to toddlers where one copies another in getting in trouble. Doo doo refers to being in trouble, i.e. your in deep doo doo, (not feces) a phrase use by children.

So, I am being that toddler who is copying someone who I shouldn't, thus I am in deep doo doo. That was a tongue-n-cheek thing, as it relates to what I was playing on the humorous side of san, sama, and O' as Josh Reyer pointed out and what was started between me and Mark. Also monkey refers to those who disrupt a thread as I said before, thus my posting to Ron, I become a monkey disrupting the thread.

Therefore, I was joking calling Ron O' as it was the next highest level of honorific title playing off what me and Mark were joking about in concern to san and sama ( as Josh pointed out). I was saying I am in deep doo doo (per what Josh pointed out about sama) by refering to Ron as O', as I was disrupting and distracting from the thread, and in no way was insulting Ron. I was insulting my self.

I guess it was taken wrong, and offended people. For that, I blame myself, I could have worded it better, and I wasn't careful enough. comedy isn't easy. It was childish to go down that road, I know better and am above that. I humbly apologize to all the readers if I have offended them, and to Jun. I hope my humble apology is accepted.

In all sincerely,

Lets pls get back to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by Buck : 04-07-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #350
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Well, sometimes the small stuff is bad even in small doses.
Even small, convoluted doses!

Apology accepted, moving on now, gotta go configure some routers (bleh).

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!