Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States
Transmitting Spirit

I'm posting this in training because I feel that this should permeate every person's practice. I need help finding the words for what I mean:

Transmitting Spirit

In my language, when we want to convey something important, we say " lagyan mo ng laman" or in a coarse way of translating it, "put meat into it". Substance. What is substance and meat? Something we can grasp, sink our teeth into and work with.

When we do technique, each person transmits his or her person and his intent into it. This is what I would also call spirit. Now how to talk about such an intangible thing, how to discuss it is like trying to describe the sunshine or the breeze. But let me give it a try.

There was a girl in our dojo back home. She was about 9 years old, and she did the techniques with so much substance and spirit, that when she had to stop aikido training due to a pulmonary condition, I cried my eyes out. Her eyes were alive with observation and excitement at the exercises they were about to do. She fell into them with gusto, took to the art like a fish to water. She could throw anyone and not just because she was good but because she had spirit. Substance. It was there in every movement she made. In her exercises, in her attacks, in her partnering practices, in her whole being. It was just so alive. And yet, on the outside, she was serene and calm and composed. But when she did aikido, you couldn't mistake it, the visiting shihan at one time picked her out right out of the crowd. I think it was her spirit that shone and made her shine out of the crowd.

What is this spirit I am talking about. You might know it but can't put a name to it as well. I need help verbalizing what it is I mean.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
dps
Re: transmitting spirit

Quote:
Stella Fuentes wrote: View Post
I'm posting this in training because I feel that this should permeate every person's practice. I need help finding the words for what I mean:

Transmitting Spirit

In my language, when we want to convey something important, we say " lagyan mo ng laman" or in a coarse way of translating it, "put meat into it". Substance. What is substance and meat? Something we can grasp, sink our teeth into and work with.

When we do technique, each person transmits his or her person and his intent into it. This is what I would also call spirit. Now how to talk about such an intangible thing, how to discuss it is like trying to describe the sunshine or the breeze. But let me give it a try.

There was a girl in our dojo back home. She was about 9 years old, and she did the techniques with so much substance and spirit, that when she had to stop aikido training due to a pulmonary condition, I cried my eyes out. Her eyes were alive with observation and excitement at the exercises they were about to do. She fell into them with gusto, took to the art like a fish to water. She could throw anyone and not just because she was good but because she had spirit. Substance. It was there in every movement she made. In her exercises, in her attacks, in her partnering practices, in her whole being. It was just so alive. And yet, on the outside, she was serene and calm and composed. But when she did aikido, you couldn't mistake it, the visiting shihan at one time picked her out right out of the crowd. I think it was her spirit that shone and made her shine out of the crowd.

What is this spirit I am talking about. You might know it but can't put a name to it as well. I need help verbalizing what it is I mean.

Thank you.
I think you verbalized it very well.

David
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Transmitting Spirit

Nice description of the girl, I think I got just what you meant. Very nice.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

I agree with the responses above, you did a good job of describing something we all recognise. If english is not your first language Stella, then your use of it is excellent, better than some who's it is

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Hey Stella,

Great description of the girl's actions, appearance and of the results or effect of her "spirit" in her training. (Reminds me of my teacher!) I think verbalizing what that "spirit" is, however, is quite impossible.

Cheers,

Russ
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Presence might be the word you are looking for, as in "When you are training be present in mind and spirit, and not just in body."

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

ahhhh I see. Presence could be it. I was discussing it with someone today and I ran out of English.
It's like something you could not ignore and like the ripples in a pond only the mat is the pond.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Kevin Karr
United_States

In Aikido you may often hear the word "rei" which is often translated into english as "spirit." I do not know if the meaning is exactly the same, however.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!