Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Is this Aikido? Purple Dragon Style

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Krotty with some Wally Jay small circle stuff and a bit of Moses Powell thrown in. Not a bad foundation, but not Aikido in even broad terms.
I would put money on the founder being a student of Moses Powell. Do a search on Sanuces Ryu. Powell Sensei is dead but he was one of the legendary New York City instructors from the seventies back when you had to be able to fight to have a dojo.

I always thought it was a shame that Powell Sensei wasn't more connected and better known within the Aikido community. When people wonder about martial application, he had the goods. A good friend of mine trained with him for years, one of the few white boys amongst all the brothers at the school. Anyway, this stuff looks like Sanuces Ryu but not on the level of Powell Sensei. In flavor its a lot like Mochizuki Sensei's Aikibudo with jiu jutsu instead of judo but still with lots of karate.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #27
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Sensei Laydard hit it right on the head. The founder of this system was a student of Professer Powell. Professor Powell had a big impact on him and he states so on the website's history.

From the beginning of the video you can see the influence of Sanuces Ryu.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #28
Churchill92
Dojo: HydePark Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Sensei Laydard hit it right on the head. The founder of this system was a student of Professer Powell. Professor Powell had a big impact on him and he states so on the website's history.

From the beginning of the video you can see the influence of Sanuces Ryu.
can you translate into SimpleTerms 101 for us not in the know
Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Weis wrote: View Post
"Beautiful and frightening."

This is a man who you just have to see, and hear, to get a feel for.
I have a huge respect and admiration for Sensei Powell.

We should all train to learn and translate this caliber of excellence for the next generation. IMO.

onegaishimau,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78551344707744

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
Churchill92
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
"Beautiful and frightening."

This is a man who you just have to see, and hear, to get a feel for.
I have a huge respect and admiration for Sensei Powell.

We should all train to learn and translate this caliber of excellence for the next generation. IMO.

onegaishimau,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78551344707744
First part was parts of Breakfall I/II for us, the end had portions of what I'm studying now. Amazing stuff, thanks for the video.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #31
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
I would put money on the founder being a student of Moses Powell. Do a search on Sanuces Ryu. Powell Sensei is dead but he was one of the legendary New York City instructors from the seventies back when you had to be able to fight to have a dojo.

I always thought it was a shame that Powell Sensei wasn't more connected and better known within the Aikido community. When people wonder about martial application, he had the goods. A good friend of mine trained with him for years, one of the few white boys amongst all the brothers at the school. Anyway, this stuff looks like Sanuces Ryu but not on the level of Powell Sensei. In flavor its a lot like Mochizuki Sensei's Aikibudo with jiu jutsu instead of judo but still with lots of karate.
One more fine student taught by Florendo "Professor V" Visitacion.

That's not to say that Moses Powell wasn't something special, just to note that his teacher was a New York legend in his own right.

Best,

FL

Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
One more fine student taught by Florendo "Professor V" Visitacion.

That's not to say that Moses Powell wasn't something special, just to note that his teacher was a New York legend in his own right.

Best,

FL
Yup, EVERYBODY has a teacher, most folks this good have had more then one. What I dearly love about Moses Powell was that he was a really big man. He was famous for those one finger rolls in which he'd go over on one finger and come back to standing and make virtually no sound... totally relaxed. Then you look at the kind of speed he had... didn't seem like a big guy at all. My hero....

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #33
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Yup, EVERYBODY has a teacher, most folks this good have had more then one. What I dearly love about Moses Powell was that he was a really big man. He was famous for those one finger rolls in which he'd go over on one finger and come back to standing and make virtually no sound... totally relaxed. Then you look at the kind of speed he had... didn't seem like a big guy at all. My hero....
George:

Are you trying to imply that you are big ? In an age of political correctness, you are just a good friend with a lot of love to go around !

As a young teenager training with Japanese instructors in the 70's, I was fortunate to be around to meet the likes of Moses Powell. There were some AWESOME tournaments at Madison Square Garden that would make the UFC look tame! The one thing that stood out for me about Moses Powell would be the look on his face when he faced an opponent.

Marc Abrams
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #34
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Quote:
Every art has a certain flavor to it and every teacher has a certain flavor within that art. If someone has clearly drunk the coolaide, then their mannerisms will mimick the flavor of the art or teacher.

If you have seen Sanuces-ryu enough, you will clearly see the mannerisms that its participants have. I have watched a seminar that had a lot of Sanuces-ryu instructors teaching on the mat. One of the staff instructors at my Aikido dojo was taught by someone who was a student of Moses Powell. So I've seen, felt, and heard some of the mannerisms.

An old Aikido instructor once said that he could tell who had taught a student by the way the student did his technique, walked on the mat, sat on the mat, etc...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
Churchill92
United_States

The more and more I look at Sanuces-ryu the closer it looks to what I'm doing.

I see portions of this style, aikido, and jiujitsu all blended together. I know that Aikido is a derivative of jiujitsu so there will be some similarities.

It's not to say that this is a bad thing, but I was led to believe I was learning Aikido when in fact I was learning a derivative of it blended with Sanuces-ryu. At least this is my current theory. I will discuss this with my Sensei and the Professor shortly.

It might just lead me to quitting this style and taking up a traditional Aikido program (already sent out letters to other schools in the area) .
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #36
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
We being the proverbial Aikido students of which I'm the only one that goes to this particular dojo. Noone else wants to practice Aikido here as we've had 3 students come and go with the Aikido program and none lasted.
Quote:
I was led to believe I was learning Aikido when in fact I was learning a derivative of it blended with Sanuces-ryu.... It might just lead me to quitting this style and taking up a traditional Aikido program
There's another reason why you might consider changing schools. If you are the only aikido student at your school you get to practice aikido with only one person, your instructor. At an aikido dojo you will get to practice with students of both sexes, various heights and weights, various degrees of strength and flexibility, various levels of skill, etc. The larger the aikido school, the more variety there is (although large schools are not automatically better schools).

Practicing with a variety of partners is very important to your understanding of aikido technique and, I think, to your understanding of aikido itself.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
It might just lead me to quitting this style and taking up a traditional Aikido program (already sent out letters to other schools in the area) .
If you like what you're learning and who you're learning it from, there's no real reason to leave just because it's not Aikido™. There's lots of good stuff out there that isn't.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #38
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
If you like what you're learning and who you're learning it from, there's no real reason to leave just because it's not Aikido™. There's lots of good stuff out there that isn't.
I hear the good stuff aint so common.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #39
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Anyway, this stuff looks like Sanuces Ryu but not on the level of Powell Sensei. In flavor its a lot like Mochizuki Sensei's Aikibudo with jiu jutsu instead of judo but still with lots of karate.
Ledyard Sensei, the similarity I see with Mochizuki Sensei's art is the broad technical range, but the big difference is the choppy integration of all those arts into a weird jumble instead of the fluid and smooth blend Mochizuki Sensei created. The clip that I saw included a lot of back-and-forth to the point of being jerky and it really reminded me of Ed Parker's kenpo more than anything Mochizuki Sensei did--other than include a wide range of techniques. Mochizuki Sensei's movement and that of his top students was very smooth and continuous and got things finished without all the slappity-dash-whack-bam-pow kind of feeling in the clip. The guy in the clip kind of went overboard with that, I thought.

FWIW.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 03-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #40
George S. Ledyard

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Ledyard Sensei, the similarity I see with Mochizuki Sensei's art is the broad technical range, but the big difference is the choppy integration of all those arts into a weird jumble instead of the fluid and smooth blend Mochizuki Sensei created. The clip that I saw included a lot of back-and-forth to the point of being jerky and it really reminded me of Ed Parker's kenpo more than anything Mochizuki Sensei did--other than include a wide range of techniques. Mochizuki Sensei's movement and that of his top students was very smooth and continuous and got things finished without all the slappity-dash-whack-bam-pow kind of feeling in the clip. The guy in the clip kind of went overboard with that, I thought.

FWIW.

David
Moses Powell was very fast and very smooth. I just meant the overall style in terms if content.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #41
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hi Jonathan,

Check your PM.

And be careful down there in Trini'.

Best.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #42
John Matsushima

United_States

A quote from the homepage:

"He has performed and lectured in over 50 states"

OVER 50 states?????? ha ha ha ha lol!

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #43
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Well, to be fair, it says:

"He has performed and lectured in over 50 states and countries in Europe, Asia and the Americas."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!