Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,316
Offline
Aikido and Acupuncture

Posted 2009-01-07 17:43:50 by Dunken Francis
News URL: http://aikidoforbeginners.blogspot.c...nd-aikido.html

Aikido and Acupuncture. Two very different disciplines... or are they?

___________________
~~~ To submit a news item to AikiWeb's front page, click here. ~~~
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
Location: Atlanta, GA
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 369
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

You should read Tohei's book "Kiatsu".
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Carsten Möllering
 
Carsten Möllering's Avatar
Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Location: Hildesheim
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 931
Germany
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

In our dojo we don't do acpuncture but acpressure.
Some Shiatsu is part of our aikitaiso.
We sometimes do shiatsu after training and have seminars.

We see it as two very related disciplines.

Carsten
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Anja Lampert
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 24
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

When you grab Uke's forearm for yonkyo you can also use two pressure points that you touch with the palm-side of your knuckles... I can see them pretty well after training on my forearm, because they tend to get all blue and green, so everyone will find them quite easily in the next training session!

I guess just because of the Ki-aspect in both Aikido and acupuncture/acupressure, there obviously is a relation between the two of them. I guess it depends on your sensei if you are more or less aware of this... One of my sensei is a shiatsu practitioner too, so of course he sometimes refers to his knowledge about Shiatsu during Aikido training, and apart from being really interesting it really helps understanding some aspects of certain techniques or even posture much better...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Dunken Francis
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Auckland
Location: AUCKLAND NZ
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote: View Post
You should read Tohei's book "Kiatsu".
One of my favourites. Avoided going into the subject of Kiatsu as it would open up another can of worms!

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Dunken Francis
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Auckland
Location: AUCKLAND NZ
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
In our dojo we don't do acpuncture but acpressure.
Some Shiatsu is part of our aikitaiso.
We sometimes do shiatsu after training and have seminars.

We see it as two very related disciplines.

Carsten
We have a shiatsu practitioner within the club, who often works on people with aches and pains, but have never thought about including this in aikidtaiso - what a great idea!

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Dunken Francis
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Auckland
Location: AUCKLAND NZ
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Anja Lampert wrote: View Post
When you grab Uke's forearm for yonkyo you can also use two pressure points that you touch with the palm-side of your knuckles... I can see them pretty well after training on my forearm, because they tend to get all blue and green, so everyone will find them quite easily in the next training session!

I guess just because of the Ki-aspect in both Aikido and acupuncture/acupressure, there obviously is a relation between the two of them. I guess it depends on your sensei if you are more or less aware of this... One of my sensei is a shiatsu practitioner too, so of course he sometimes refers to his knowledge about Shiatsu during Aikido training, and apart from being really interesting it really helps understanding some aspects of certain techniques or even posture much better...
My next post will be about "pressure points". We really on see them commonly in yonkyo, but I was taught about 12 major points (a long time ago I might add)and have been lucky enough to rain with some very good eagle claw king fu guys in the UK who use pressure points widely within their discipline. Still thinking it through, but I'd like to explore how various arts use these points and how Aiki slots into this..

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Acupunture and aikido are 2 separate disciplines and have little to do with each other. Although *some* acupunture theory is generally applicable to many asian MA, and *may* appear to be related at some rudimentary level, it is quite unrelated to the study of combat sciences - one is healing and health-related, the other is used to hurt and kill.

Apart from acupuncture points, there are nerve points, pressure points and vital points - most of which are unrelated to the study of acupuncture per se, and are never used in acupuncture, although there is *some* overlap between the actual points used in combat and points used in acu-point (including accupressure, shiatsu, an-mo) therapy.

Certainly acupuncture theory is well worth studying in its own right, for knowledge sake. Though, some of it may be generally applicable to MA, most of it won't be...

Ignatius
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Dunken Francis
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Auckland
Location: AUCKLAND NZ
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Acupunture and aikido are 2 separate disciplines and have little to do with each other. Although *some* acupunture theory is generally applicable to many asian MA, and *may* appear to be related at some rudimentary level, it is quite unrelated to the study of combat sciences - one is healing and health-related, the other is used to hurt and kill.

Apart from acupuncture points, there are nerve points, pressure points and vital points - most of which are unrelated to the study of acupuncture per se, and are never used in acupuncture, although there is *some* overlap between the actual points used in combat and points used in acu-point (including accupressure, shiatsu, an-mo) therapy.

Certainly acupuncture theory is well worth studying in its own right, for knowledge sake. Though, some of it may be generally applicable to MA, most of it won't be...
Hi Ignatius
It's clear that you have a lot of knowledge of acupuncture but little of Aikido I'm afraid. Hurting and killing is the opposite of everything Aikido stands for - in fact my core observation in the blog post was that both "arts" have at their core the intention of resolving mis-used energy.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
eyrie
 
eyrie's Avatar
Location: Summerholm, Queensland
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,126
Australia
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Dunken Francis wrote: View Post
Hi Ignatius
It's clear that you have a lot of knowledge of acupuncture but little of Aikido I'm afraid. Hurting and killing is the opposite of everything Aikido stands for - in fact my core observation in the blog post was that both "arts" have at their core the intention of resolving mis-used energy.
Perhaps you might like to avoid taking personal stabs and taking my post out of context. While you're at it, you might wish to do further research and reconsider your statement "...the intention of resolving mis-used energy", because I think you're way off on both counts.

Ignatius
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Dunken Francis
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Auckland
Location: AUCKLAND NZ
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 33
New Zealand
Offline
Re: Aikido and Acupuncture

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Perhaps you might like to avoid taking personal stabs and taking my post out of context. While you're at it, you might wish to do further research and reconsider your statement "...the intention of resolving mis-used energy", because I think you're way off on both counts.
Personal stabs? I'm sorry you chose to take my response in that way - I was merely pointing out that Aikido is in no way designed to hurt or kill - quite the opposite in fact. One of the greatest challenges within out art is the resolution of conflict and trying to apply a martial framework to that concept. May I suggest you have a quick read of Wikipedia? The definition of Aikido is one of the best I think and I hope will go some way to helping you distinguish between Aikido and other martial arts.

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zazen necessary for training Mike Galante Spiritual 114 10-05-2012 11:25 AM
Staying motivated gi_grrl Teaching 28 09-05-2007 08:33 PM
Basic elements of Aikido Mary Eastland Spiritual 109 06-15-2005 09:09 PM
Atemi and Irimi Dazzler General 22 03-23-2005 10:24 AM
Assistance with research please? Guest Techniques 63 03-14-2003 07:10 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2017 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2017 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate