Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #26
mike lee
budo of love

I saw an interview with O'Sensei done in Japan in the 1950's. He made his whole purpose quite clear. He said that up until his time, martial arts had been a budo of violence. He said that he found this situation to be fundamentally wrong and that he wanted Aikido to be a budo of love.

If Aikidoka truly understood this, there would hardly be any need for most of the discussions on these forums.

Some people, despite their lack of training, think they can play aikido like a poker game -- holding a few cards such as "the lineage card" or the "my shihan trained longer with O'Sensei than your shihan" card. They think that a few such cards will help them to out bluff anyone so that they can "win" any aikido discussion.

Problem is "aikido cards" and bluffs are of little or no value during the course of training or on the street.

Last edited by mike lee : 06-22-2002 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #27
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Freaky!

My, my...I'm new to this website and isn't this an interesting thread to stumble upon? I can't say I know poop, but I know that I embraced Aikido because it seemed the only martial art I've been exposed to--I've studied a number--that makes a direct effort to blend the violence of martial training with spiritual/character development. All sorts of people train in my dojo, for as many reasons. You know, some like it hot, some like it cold...For me, I need the balance of light AND dark, need to walk that razor's edge between two extremes, for this feels closest to some truth. I don't care what you call it, don't care who's better than who. I come, I train, I experience, I grow.
Jun--definately thanks for this website because even in the face of squabbling and pettiness...hey, we're opening up and connecting! Don't you see the humor? I think it's a hoot! But then again...it's late Peace in Aikido, whatever you derive from it.

~~Paula~~

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches