Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
MMRobinette
Location: Concord, NC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Getting Into Aikido, but Not Home M-Th

All I have had a desire to get serious about aikido for awhile now but I travel most weeks for work and am not home Mon - THurs. Is this going to be a block for me to get started in this Martial Art? Or could i begin looking into dojos close to my work sites? Thoughts??
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,761
United_States
Offline
Re: Gettin Into Aikido

Quote:
Michael Robinette wrote: View Post
All I have had a desire to get serious about aikido for awhile now but I travel most weeks for work and am not home Mon - THurs. Is this going to be a block for me to get started in this Martial Art? Or could i begin looking into dojos close to my work sites? Thoughts??
I've got a similar situation -- I travel most weeks and am away Wed-Fri -- and I am able to train. Whether it's doable for you depends on what's available for training, when and where. There are good reasons, which I'll go into if you want (but others could explain better), why as a beginner you would not want to start in two different dojos in two different locations and train a couple days a week in each, so you sort of have to find one that's either convenient to home or work. Which to choose? All other things being equal (which they never are), training close to home is good if:

1)you are pretty settled where you live, and a change of job location is a lot more likely than a change of residence.
2)you don't spend every week away from home
3)the dojos near your home have classes on Fridays and weekends, the days that you will be home.

Training away from home might be the better choice if:

1)you think you'll continue working in that area for a long time
2)you can't find many training opportunities near home on the days that you are home
3)you have family or other personal obligations on the days that you are at home, and training would create a conflict.

So, yeah, it's doable, but some things need to fall into place. I'd say take a look around at what's available in the two locations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Luc X Saroufim
 
Luc X Saroufim's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 135
Offline
Re: Getting Into Aikido, but Not Home M-Th

are you a brand new student or are you an existing student that is "deciding to get serious?"

if you're a new student, Friday - Sunday is good enough to get you started at least.

what people usually do after that is wait until their schedule opens up and use that opportunity to train more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
MMRobinette
Location: Concord, NC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Re: Gettin Into Aikido

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I've got a similar situation -- I travel most weeks and am away Wed-Fri -- and I am able to train. Whether it's doable for you depends on what's available for training, when and where. There are good reasons, which I'll go into if you want (but others could explain better), why as a beginner you would not want to start in two different dojos in two different locations and train a couple days a week in each, so you sort of have to find one that's either convenient to home or work. Which to choose? All other things being equal (which they never are), training close to home is good if:

1)you are pretty settled where you live, and a change of job location is a lot more likely than a change of residence.
2)you don't spend every week away from home
3)the dojos near your home have classes on Fridays and weekends, the days that you will be home.

Training away from home might be the better choice if:

1)you think you'll continue working in that area for a long time
2)you can't find many training opportunities near home on the days that you are home
3)you have family or other personal obligations on the days that you are at home, and training would create a conflict.

So, yeah, it's doable, but some things need to fall into place. I'd say take a look around at what's available in the two locations.
My current client is a long implementation in NH. I believe we'll be there through at least July. I am actually a brand new student. I did take classes for about a month in Louisville, KY but then we moved to North Carolina.

I've been checking out dojos close and havent' found one that has Friday classes but they do have Saturday. I'll keep looking though. I have found a dojo about 20 miles from the hotel i stay at.

Do you believe 7 months is long term enough to begin training there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
MMRobinette
Location: Concord, NC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Re: Getting Into Aikido, but Not Home M-Th

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote: View Post
are you a brand new student or are you an existing student that is "deciding to get serious?"

if you're a new student, Friday - Sunday is good enough to get you started at least.

what people usually do after that is wait until their schedule opens up and use that opportunity to train more.
Unfortunately the only opportunity i've found locally is on Saturdays but they have classes throughout the week.

Thanks to both of you who have responded its a big help.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could buy just ONE book about Aikido techniques, what would it be? Karol Kowalczyk Techniques 45 01-31-2014 11:35 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 10 Peter Goldsbury Columns 200 02-04-2009 06:45 AM
Baseline skillset eyrie Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 1633 05-23-2008 01:35 PM
For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido? billybob General 123 12-18-2006 04:52 AM
Two things. Veers General 8 04-04-2003 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate