Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #126
curlytops
Philippines
Re: aikido vs MMA figther

There are fighters who use a bit of Aikido in their defensive moves.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #127
graham butt

I did not say running is the answer to everything, It is my answer in MOST scenarios " Run away to fight another day" the last of the 36 stategies of sun Tzu. I fight if i have to then i run.

There is always an aim a goal or endstate when training. To be abe to defend yourself when you HAVE to. Which is the mind frame i have when i train.

I can fight when i NEED to, I also run when i NEED too.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #128
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

Graham,

No problem. I understand what you are saying now.

A couple of other thoughts since you brought up Sun Tzu.

He also said "know your enemy" and something that paraphrases to "never take up the defense when you can be on the offense".

I think this applies as well if you are talking Sun Tzu. So, I think it is normal and appropriate to have folks ask these Aikido VS X type of questions. In an attempt to understand themselves and their "enemy" so to speak.

Anyway, Sun Tzu was talking about military strategies and doctrine and not so much about individuals defending themselves against an attacker.

I think much of Sun Tzu gets extrapolated, interpreted, and bastardized to fit what folks want it to fit. I remember when it was in vogue in business strategy!

Sure you can interpret it and relate to it however you want, but I am not sure that business and personal self defense is what Sun Tzu had in mind for application.

He certainly would not advocate running from a fight that you could win and gain ground on.

As you state, this might be the best course of action for self preservation and not be arrested!

I think this is the problem with using Sun Tzu rational base for personal decision making/strategy.

Anyway, not meaning to be argumentative, just a good topic to discuss.

I agree that running is a definite option. I am still trying to figure out for myself what role empty hand martial arts play in self defense.

Fighting when you NEED to is a good thing! Running is also! I agree!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #129
graham butt

Sensei T.K Chiba also said "organised retreat need not mean defeat"

I consider running a way of not having to fight. I can live without fighting but i have to sometimes. It's natures way!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #130
Guilty Spark

United_States

We never run. We just reposition ourselves to attack from a different angle

All kidding aside running isn't a bad tactic. You just need to make sure you can run faster scared than they can angry.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #131
Nathan Pereira
Dojo: Joseikan Jui Jitsu/MMA/Aikido Rickmansworth, Herts
England

My 2 pence - 16 years of aikido left me with lots of answered questions. 4 years of MMA/BJJ answered all those questions and more. I now tell my aikido friends we can debate till the cows come home but if you want to know strap on some golves, headguard, gumshield and see what happens. A lot can be cleared up very very quickly. Just talking about it is like learning to swim without getting in the water.

In my mind I am clear on what aikido is and isn't useful for and what it has taught me. MMA/BJJ has cleared my mind for my aikido. It has taken my aiki to another level as I have no frustrations/questions on if its effective or not or even care. I just enjoy aikido for the wonderful art it is.

"Its just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #132
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

Nathan, my experience are about the same as yours!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #133
M Butt
United Kingdom

I also studied Aikido for some years then switched to MMA/BJJ. I dont think this really pushed Aikido aside for me but it did answer some unanswered questions. Finally I got into Kali, and this confirmed to me that no style is ever "one VS the other". To me it is more a matter of "which style COMPLIMENTS which" and I have found Kali to be very complimentary to Aikido.

Thats how I view it anyway.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #134
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Salim Shaw wrote: View Post
I ran across, what looks to be Aikido techniques used in MMA. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxm09...eature=related
Yep.... they would be gyakugamae ate, wakigatamae, mae otoshi..... all taught in the junana kihon waza of Shodokan Aikido
Har har!!
Tony

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!