Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines
Working in Japan

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Japan by the 3rd or 4th week of July. I'm a bit nervous about the whole experience as I will be going there for work.

Although I was hoping if any of our Japanese and/or non-Japanese friends can shed some light on a few things that are bothering me.

Question #1 - is it normal in Japanese corporations to give contracts to employees? I am receiving one because I asked for it, but my employers told me that they don't normally do contracts there. (I don't really know if they meant "there in the company only" or "there - in Japan as a whole"

Question #2 - do all trains have digital status screens showing their, locations / destinations etc. ?? The last time I was there, there was someone to pick me up, and we took the Narita Express which had a screen showing where we are, and what was the next stop. I understand that the N'Ex is a rather pricey ride, hence the more modern and class service. I was wondering if other cheaper lines have something similar. I'm just worried about getting off at the wrong stop and so on

Anyway, thanks, hope you guys can help me out.

Doumo arigatou gosaimasu!

J
Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: Working in Japan

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote: View Post
Question #1 - is it normal in Japanese corporations to give contracts to employees? I am receiving one because I asked for it, but my employers told me that they don't normally do contracts there. (I don't really know if they meant "there in the company only" or "there - in Japan as a whole"
That sounds very weird. Working visas in Japan require a fair bit of paperwork, including work contracts detailing pay, hours, and kind of work being done. I have never worked for any job in Japan that did not include some kind of contract/work agreement. What are you doing and where are you working?

Quote:
Question #2 - do all trains have digital status screens showing their, locations / destinations etc. ?? The last time I was there, there was someone to pick me up, and we took the Narita Express which had a screen showing where we are, and what was the next stop. I understand that the N'Ex is a rather pricey ride, hence the more modern and class service. I was wondering if other cheaper lines have something similar. I'm just worried about getting off at the wrong stop and so on
No, it greatly depends on the train and the train company. New spiffy lines with new spiffy trains will have automated announcements in both Japanese and English, as well as screens showing the route, next stop, etc. Less spiffy trains will have an English display, but no automated English announcement. Old trains will have no announcement, and no display, although a map of the trains route and stops (in English) will be posted somewhere in the car. Worse comes to worst, look out the window everytime the train stops. All the station signs are bilingual, and you'll have to go waaaay out into the boonies to find one that isn't.

Expect to get on the wrong train/get off at the wrong stop a few times. That's part of the experience!

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
shadowedge

Philippines

Quote:
I have never worked for any job in Japan that did not include some kind of contract/work agreement. What are you doing and where are you working?
Yeah, I'm ill be working in an animation company as a 3D artist. The visa paperwork are all in order, employers just told me that it isn't normal for them there to have a work contract between them and an employee. (I guess they were referring to their company then).

Quote:
Expect to get on the wrong train/get off at the wrong stop a few times. That's part of the experience!
Yikes!

Last edited by shadowedge : 06-24-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Yikes!
The worst that can happen is that you'll have to go back the way you came...

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
mwpowell

Dojo: Shinjinkan Dojo
United_States

Don't let getting lost worry you. It's half the fun!

Here's my #1 travel tip...whenever you get lost, look for the nearest pretty girl and ask for directions. Sometimes she can help, sometimes she can't, but you'll always enjoy the experience!

[And just in case you're female (name is Rene, so I'm not 100% sure...), I presume this works in reverse, as well.]

Be willing to give up all that you now are, to be all that you can become.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
shadowedge

Philippines

Quote:
[And just in case you're female (name is Rene, so I'm not 100% sure...), I presume this works in reverse, as well.]
I'm 100% man...

...50% chicken regarding this thread's topic...but about 90% feeling better thanks to you guys. hahahaha
Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Rennis Buchner
Japan

Quote:
Has the company hired foreigners from overseas before? For pretty much all work related visas, if your are getting your visa through your company they must have a contract and supply it to immigration in order to get get visa approved. Getting a working visa approved with no contract is close to impossible for most people, especially if it's their first time through.

For what it's worth,
Rennis Buchner
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
shadowedge

Philippines

Quote:
Has the company hired foreigners from overseas before? For pretty much all work related visas, if your are getting your visa through your company they must have a contract and supply it to immigration in order to get get visa approved. Getting a working visa approved with no contract is close to impossible for most people, especially if it's their first time through.
Yeah they got me one.. hehe it just came really really late. So i got worried. I sometimes have this bad tendency to assume the worst in a situation.

Anyway, I already have a flight schedule and its at the end of this month Thing is I can barely speak and read Nihongo. (Most especially, Kanji ~ can't read a single character).

Now, I'll be making my way to Kokubunji alone. I've already checked out the train schedules and I know what I route i want to take. Thing is I since I can't read the ticket that well. I'm afraid i might get the platform number mixed up with the car number or something.

I was there for a few days last May, and now I'm really regretting that i didn't take a picture of the train ticket or took notes of the layout.

So can anyone help me out?
I just need to know where these things are positioned on the ticket:

Train name
Car Number
Platform number
seat number (maybe)

Edit:

Here's a sample ~ which is which? >__<

Thanks again.

J

Last edited by akiy : 07-18-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Changed location of image
Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

The left hand ticket is an ordinary ticket (jousha-ken) it allows you to board the shinkansen train) between Narita Airport Terminal Two and Kyoto).

The right-hand ticket is the special reserved seat ticket (shinkansen tokyuu-ken) required for traveling on the shinkansen. Your ticket is valid for September 4, for the Hikari 103, leaving Tokyo at 12.37, Car No 6, Row 15, Seat D (aisle seat). The train arrives in Kyoto at 15.22. The cars are numbered from the end facing Kyoto.

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
shadowedge

Philippines

Hi Sir Peter,

Thanks for the very useful info!

now I know what the characters for Car number, seat number and row are. Plus the name of the (train?/Line?). This is really very very helpful.

By the way, you're in Hiroshima right? How long is the train ride there if Im coming from, say..shinjuku?

Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Hi Sir Peter,

Thanks for the very useful info!

now I know what the characters for Car number, seat number and row are. Plus the name of the (train?/Line?). This is really very very helpful.

By the way, you're in Hiroshima right? How long is the train ride there if Im coming from, say..shinjuku?

Thanks again.
Hello Rene,

From Shinjuku, you need to take the JR Chuo Line (Rapid Service--the trains are tomato coloured) to Tokyo and then change to the Tokaido Shinkansen. The fastest Nozomi trains reach Hiroshima in about 4 hours.

If you access the JNTO website (http://www.jnto.go.jp), you will find much useful information in a number of languages.

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
shadowedge

Philippines

Alright,

I have a new question.

I'm planning to bring along a toaster, an electric stove and maybe a rice cooker. Where I'm from, the standard voltage for appliances is 220V. I heard rumors that in Japan it's 110V only... is this true?

Sincerely boggled,

J
Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Actually it's 100V. Some outlets may have a step up to 200V.
Check here:
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/mains.htm

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!