Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #26
SwiftWind824
Dojo: Phil.Aikikai Headquarters
Philippines
Re: improving footwork

Quote:
Gunawan Wibisono wrote: View Post
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Aikido.
I personally believe that you need to have a strong basic to be good at something. I have 2 problems: i'm too stiff and my footworks' really bad. Can anyone give me any pointer to improve my footwork?
Try to maintain Ur balance & try to focus more on the possible attack launched by Ur opponent...Try to anticipate his actions by reading his thoughts...In this way U can now plan on how to overthrow him..either in IRIMI or Tenkan approach!!!Just feel free to move Ur legs as if Ur on the DANCE Floor...
Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Dathan Camacho
Dojo: Triangle Aikido Club
United_States

Sorry for late reply. I'd recommend 3 things that have helped me:

1) the "walking drills" from shodokan/tomiki style aikido
2) yoga
3) weight lifting, but only exercises that simulate real world movement, like lunges. Squats or leg presses are the standard weight lifting exercises for legs but they don't do anything for stability, balance, timing, or coordination, which are key components of applicable strength.

My two cents, good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #28
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Use heavy bag to practice Tai Sabaki. Also very good aerobic workout when going very fast with short rope above heavy bag for short cycle time. Can add in Atemi as well.

Rock
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #29
Martin Goodyear
United Kingdom

Larry made the distinction between "positioning " and "footwork", which I think is important. It is essential to be in the right position for a technique, but there may be room for compromise regarding how you get there - i.e. footwork.

Ki Aikido attracts a lot of older people who can't always move in the way that the technique would seem to demand without taking an extra step or two. To my mind, it is better to adjust the form (footwork) of the technique than to compromise the structure of one's form. After all, freestyle aikido is supposed to be formless.

Having wrestled myself with the issue of how much attention to give to my feet, I have found that moving from my centre into the correct position whilst trusting my feet to do their own thing works best (although paying attention to where your feet go is generally necessary to learn a technique).

By concentrating on position more that footwork, you can learn a technique, then work out exactly what you're doing later. This seems backwards, but I have found that it can make learning both faster and more enjoyable.

Thinking of your feet can trip you up, but this is a question of style and principle. Tai Chi people build up from the feet, and it works for them, and Bruce Lee emphasised footwork. Each to their own.

Martin.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #30
kokyu
Hong Kong

Another discussion on footwork at Aikiweb

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!