Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
chunie
Dojo: Sho Shin Aikido Dojo
Netherlands
Re: banging bokken on my head

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post
Eh. It's not terribly detailed, and, with the exception of #5, it is all stuff you'd get told about in your first few weeks of kendo.
Detailed enough for me, but ok if you insist, there are some things there in the list which sound familiar And u have just spared me a few weeks of kendo (theory that is )
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #27
Dieter Haffner

Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Belgium

Quote:
Chuntug Taguba wrote: View Post
... but we try, at least I do, to emulate or synthesize the feeling sensei talks about. ...
Does your sensei talks about getting a headache when practising with the bokken?

I am sorry, I could not resist
Good luck with the practise.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #28
chunie
Netherlands

Quote:
Dieter Haffner wrote: View Post
Does your sensei talks about getting a headache when practising with the bokken?

I am sorry, I could not resist
Good luck with the practise.
No, he just notices people rubbing their heads out of the corner of his eyes, then looks at the picture of O-sensei, lets out a sigh, shakes his head and continues with what ever he is doing
Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #29
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
OK. There might be a few of us out here who are wondering just where the heck you buy a rubber bokken. And why.
I wondered if someone would ask.

Okay, so strictly speaking, it's a rubber covered bokken. But the wooden core is so flimsy that it would break (actually shattter) if you actually hit anyone with it. Or anything, for that matter. I know this because my son decided to whack the mat with one not a week after I'd bought them.

I bought them, originally, so my junior students could work with bokkens without danger of damaging each other. They actually are great for this. One bit of good news is that when they break they can be repaired such that they remain adequate for the sort of practice for which they are actually designed. The would tends to split on grain lines, so it's really like putting a jigsaw puzzle together with glue.

I got them from Tigerclaw.com, but I can't find them on the retail store and I don't have my wholesale login anymore.

I also have a couple of foam rubber "bokkens" that I used to use to chase the kids. The idea was they were supposed to react in a correctly martial way. Getting out of the way, taking it away from me, etc. If they didn't, I whacked them with it. It did no damage, didn't even really hurt, but they couldn't claim they didn't get hit.

As for the bokken in my office, I spend a lot of time watching tests run. It's a little like watching grass grow. I need something to keep my hands occupied and the bokken is better than the bag of candy.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #30
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Okay, the "rubber" bokken can be found here.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Beard of Chuck Norris

Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

A useful suburi i got taught by some iaido guys (MJER) was to hold the bokuto the wrong way round so that you are holding it by the kensen and the tsuka becomes the "tip". Do suburi as normal (BIG!) and alow the weight of the tsuka to help you feel the path it wants to tak (out- away from you).

Of course, this must be controlled and did i mention big?

Helped me a bit; especially in getting my swings bigger.

...but if you are as rubbish as I am you'll still manage to hit the back of your head with the tsuba every now and then!

Peace and love

Jo
Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
chunie
Netherlands

Thanks all for posting your views!
I'll check up on this post regularly.

Funny thing that I now hear sensei talk about many of the stuff mentioned above. I didn't hear the before. Probably was just not ready to hear them yet

Please visit our sponsor:

Long Island Asian Studies Center - Classes: Aiki Budo/Chi Gong/Tai Chi, Author of: Searching For O'Sensei