Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Foreign Language Aikido Discussions > Japanese

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Shany
 
Shany's Avatar
Dojo: ISTA
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 163
Israel
Offline
translation

sorry to write in English,
but i want to know if those kanji letters are correct:

Shany Golan == シャニ ゴラン

thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
JW
 
JW's Avatar
Location: San Francisco CA USA
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 510
Offline
Re: translation

Hi, looks right, or as close as you could get! Would be spelled out as "Shyani Goran" in romaji I think. Also it is not kanji, it is katakana, which is exactly what you would want for this. (Kanji is the Chinese characters.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Shany
 
Shany's Avatar
Dojo: ISTA
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 163
Israel
Offline
Re: translation

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks! Ok, Katakana thanks !
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
nagoyajoe
 
nagoyajoe's Avatar
Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 64
Japan
Offline
Re: translation

Seems good to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

It seems I cant type my Name in katakana on my computer, I can write it, just doesnt seem to work. I was expirementing with my language bar, set it on Japanese, switched to Katakana, tried my name out, didnt look right, it had the half the symbols right but when it came down to the r, it typed the r in romaji. any advice?

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
Location: Suzhou, China
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 188
China
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Connor Haberland wrote: View Post
It seems I cant type my Name in katakana on my computer, I can write it, just doesnt seem to work. I was expirementing with my language bar, set it on Japanese, switched to Katakana, tried my name out, didnt look right, it had the half the symbols right but when it came down to the r, it typed the r in romaji. any advice?
Type a 'u' after the 'r'? There isn't a kana for just an 'r' by itself.
I'd write it as KO-N-NO-RU HA-BU-RU-LA-N-DU. (Or maybe KO-N-NA would be better anyway?)

(Standard 老外 disclaimer applies)

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Arigato, I'll be sure to try it.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 384
Offline
Re: translation

I don't think the r would be used at all in your name written in katakana. It would sound like Ko na--- Ha be i ra n in my opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

ノラ耳ラスナ クチこなすなり地味品 thats how it came when i tims advice.

and this is mikes-ノラ道--- クチ故意に巣地も

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

that shows how stupid i am. I had it set to hiragana

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Josh Reyer
 
Josh Reyer's Avatar
Location: Aichi-ken, Nagoya-shi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 644
Japan
Offline
Re: translation

First, Connor, what are you using? Mac? Windows? Linux?

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Windows Vista

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Josh Reyer
 
Josh Reyer's Avatar
Location: Aichi-ken, Nagoya-shi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 644
Japan
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Connor Haberland wrote: View Post
Windows Vista
Okay, so I'm going to assume that you're using some version of MS-IME. Essentially, it doesn't matter what setting you have the input method set on - hiragana or katakana. Both can be turned into the other. The first thing you have to make sure is that you have it set to romaji input, and not kana input. (Check the Properties.) Romaji input allows you to type in romaji and have it turn into kana. Typing k and o gives you こ, for example. Kana input is when each kana is mapped to different key, and takes some getting used to.

When you have it set to romaji input, and have the IME set to type Japanese script, the space bar is used to turn kana into kanji (or the other type of kana). For example, if I want to type Tokyo in Japanese, I would type to, u, kyo, u, and it would come out as とうきょう with a red line underneath. This red line indicates that the kana can be changed to kanji or katakana. By hitting the space bar, とうきょう becomes 東京, and then I hit "Enter" to confirm.

For example, if I want to write "Josh" in katakana, I simply type "jo" and "shu", and it comes up じょしゅ. Then I hit the space bar, and among other kanji options there is also the katakana version of ジョシュ, which I can select and confirm by pressing enter.

Whether the input is set to hiragana or katakana simply changes what the default kana are. They can still be changed to kanji, or the other kana. If I set it to katakana, then when I type to, u, kyo, u, it comes out トウキョウ, but when I hit the space bar it becomes 東京.

So, when you have it set to romaji input, and whichever kana setting you want (hiragana or katakana, either will work), then you just have to type out your name in romaji to get it to come up right, and don't hit the space bar unless you want to change the characters to something else.

With standard English transliteration conventions, "Connor" would be transliterated into Japanese as "Konaa", that is, ko, na, and then a lengthing bar at the end. (You get this in the IME by hitting the hyphen key). It would look like this コナー.

I don't know exactly how "Haberland" would be pronounced. If it's like "HAY-ber-land", then it would be "Hebaarando" ヘバーランド, possibly even Heebaarando ヘーバーランド, with lengthening bar after the "e". If it's like, "HAH-ber-land", then it would be Habaarando, ハバーランド.

"Ru" is used to transliterate initial "ru", initial "lu", and final "l". If I saw konaru in katakana, I'd expect some name like "Conal".

Hope this helps.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Thanks, my last name is pronounced HAYberland. That helps alot.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
David Partington
Dojo: Reading Zenshin Aikido Club
Location: Reading
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: translation

Hi Shany,

Katakana is phonetic. If you pronounce the sha part of your name like shall then what was previously written was correct. If however, you pronounce your name like shay-knee then it would be more like シェーニ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 108
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

While we're on this subject I have a question. I'm getting ready to order another hakama for iaido use (love my Bujin, but the aiki-koshita gets in the way of sayabiki), and plan to have this one embroidered. Is there a specific way to break up consonant combinations that don't work in Japanese? In other words, is there a preferred way to represent the Sn sound in my last name? I'm thinking su-ni-do - does that sound right?

I also looked at sa-ni-do, and had to laugh when I checked the dictionary just in case. My teachers might think that more appropriate for my hard-headed learning style - from what I can tell it means "help two times!"

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #17
Josh Reyer
 
Josh Reyer's Avatar
Location: Aichi-ken, Nagoya-shi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 644
Japan
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Lori Snidow wrote: View Post
While we're on this subject I have a question. I'm getting ready to order another hakama for iaido use (love my Bujin, but the aiki-koshita gets in the way of sayabiki), and plan to have this one embroidered. Is there a specific way to break up consonant combinations that don't work in Japanese? In other words, is there a preferred way to represent the Sn sound in my last name? I'm thinking su-ni-do - does that sound right?
That is indeed the way it would be. "u" is sometimes unvoiced in Japanese, so it's typically used to represent combinations. E.g., "sky" "sukai". "Class" "kurasu".

I expect to it get it to sound right, you'll have to put lengthing bars after the "ni" and the "do". Japanese vowels are quite clipped. I recommend:

スニードー su ni - do -

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 108
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Thanks Josh! I was thinking that to trully come close it should be su-nai-do, スナイドー. Does that look right, or should I lengthen the ai too?

Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday Josh! =)

Last edited by dragonteeth : 03-16-2008 at 02:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Okay, so I'm going to assume that you're using some version of MS-IME. Essentially, it doesn't matter what setting you have the input method set on - hiragana or katakana. Both can be turned into the other. The first thing you have to make sure is that you have it set to romaji input, and not kana input. (Check the Properties.) Romaji input allows you to type in romaji and have it turn into kana. Typing k and o gives you こ, for example. Kana input is when each kana is mapped to different key, and takes some getting used to.

When you have it set to romaji input, and have the IME set to type Japanese script, the space bar is used to turn kana into kanji (or the other type of kana). For example, if I want to type Tokyo in Japanese, I would type to, u, kyo, u, and it would come out as とうきょう with a red line underneath. This red line indicates that the kana can be changed to kanji or katakana. By hitting the space bar, とうきょう becomes 東京, and then I hit "Enter" to confirm.

For example, if I want to write "Josh" in katakana, I simply type "jo" and "shu", and it comes up じょしゅ. Then I hit the space bar, and among other kanji options there is also the katakana version of ジョシュ, which I can select and confirm by pressing enter.

Whether the input is set to hiragana or katakana simply changes what the default kana are. They can still be changed to kanji, or the other kana. If I set it to katakana, then when I type to, u, kyo, u, it comes out トウキョウ, but when I hit the space bar it becomes 東京.

So, when you have it set to romaji input, and whichever kana setting you want (hiragana or katakana, either will work), then you just have to type out your name in romaji to get it to come up right, and don't hit the space bar unless you want to change the characters to something else.

With standard English transliteration conventions, "Connor" would be transliterated into Japanese as "Konaa", that is, ko, na, and then a lengthing bar at the end. (You get this in the IME by hitting the hyphen key). It would look like this コナー.

I don't know exactly how "Haberland" would be pronounced. If it's like "HAY-ber-land", then it would be "Hebaarando" ヘバーランド, possibly even Heebaarando ヘーバーランド, with lengthening bar after the "e". If it's like, "HAH-ber-land", then it would be Habaarando, ハバーランド.

"Ru" is used to transliterate initial "ru", initial "lu", and final "l". If I saw konaru in katakana, I'd expect some name like "Conal".

Hope this helps.
Arigato, I typed it correctly this time. I just didnt have it set to romaji input. コナーへバーランド once again ARIGATO!

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #20
boyana
Location: New York
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Can somebody please translate my name?B O Y A N A!

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Boyana Stone Levy wrote: View Post
Can somebody please translate my name?B O Y A N A!
Boyana=ボヤナ. That is really the best I could do.

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #22
boyana
Location: New York
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

DEAR CONNOR!
ARIGATOU!
It is very OISHII!
I just love it!

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Connor Haberland
 
Connor Haberland's Avatar
Dojo: Chishinkan Dojo Of Yoshinkan Aikido(USA Martial Arts Center)
Location: Fairmont, WV
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 44
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

youre welcome

Connor Haberland, 1st dan.




コナーヘバーランド
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
boyana
Location: New York
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
United_States
Offline
Re: translation

Please what does YOSHI means?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #25
Josh Reyer
 
Josh Reyer's Avatar
Location: Aichi-ken, Nagoya-shi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 644
Japan
Offline
Re: translation

Quote:
Boyana Stone Levy wrote: View Post
Please what does YOSHI means?
Um, we're gonna need a lot more context...

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Cool Rain Productions - Since 1976, the exclusive source for "Aikido in Training" Book/DVD Series



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Translation for 'universe' dps Language 1 07-31-2007 01:28 PM
translation help shadowedge Language 10 11-01-2006 10:36 AM
literal translation of techniques? wayneth Techniques 9 06-30-2006 10:16 AM
Translation Dominic Toupin Language 1 07-17-2005 12:05 PM
translation please? Genex Language 2 08-15-2002 08:05 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate