Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #26
Chris Lacey

Dojo: Aiki Institute of Spokane Roshinkan Aikido Dojo
United_States
Re: Is Your Aikido a Whole System?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
As an insider (one who is currently practicing Aikido) do you think the Aikido you are practicing is a whole system?
Is everything O'Sensei wanted his students to learn available to you, the modern day practitioner?
Hmm...

Fortunately, we (our dojo) have the availability of both the spiritual aspect and the physical aspect in our training. It is what you (the insider) choose to learn with your Aikido. What do you take with you "off the mat" and what do you ask of your Sensei to help improve yourself as a whole?

What you get out of your training is what you put into it. O'Sensei tells us that as followers of the way, our swords strike with penetrating brilliance at the evil lurking deep within our souls. This goes along with the wonderful explanation of conscious versus subconscious (thanks Chris Parkerson). How deep do you really want to look within yourself to get the whole Aikido enchilada?

What is it that would make it "a Whole system" for you? Would part of that "whole system" be giving something back to your Dojo? Is "giving back" part of your whole system?

I think the question to ask yourself is, "what is my whole system" and answer yourself honestly....and don't forget to pay attention to your subconscious voice...

Be safe and Be well.
Chris

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------
Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

For me, no, for others, maybe yes.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #28
dps

Let me change the question.

Is there ,in your style, any one technique that demonstrates all the basic principles of Aikido?

David
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #29
Kevin Leavitt

Germany

ikkyo..in an aikido context. from ikkyo I think all else can flow.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
dps

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
ikkyo..in an aikido context. from ikkyo I think all else can flow.
So if I only study Ikkyo in all its variations, at some point I should know the basic principles Aikido that O'Sensei developed?

David
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #31
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I consider aikido a whole system as far as it involves suwari waza, handmi handachi, standing empty hands techniques, bokken and jo suburi, kumi taichi and kumijo, jo dori and tacihi dori, and, thanks to saotome shihan, two sword technique and oyo henka. Oops, I almost forgot; takemusu aiki. So yeah, there's a whole system there to last a lifetime of practice.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #32
gregg block

United_States

My school is pretty comprehensive. Only place I think it is a little lacking in the area of striking techniques. Doesn't bother me bacause of my boxing , kickboxing and Tae-Kwon Do experience. My by a little bit of a problem for someone with no other martial arts experience though. IMHO.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Germany

David,

Yes I think so.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #34
Chris Lacey

United_States

Quote:
Let me change the question.

Is there ,in your style, any one technique that demonstrates all the basic principles of Aikido?

David
hmmmm....

So are you referring to, spiritual and physical? I think that many people get hung up on the word "technique." Is calming your mind before a class a technique? Is understanding the subtlety of the group dynamic of your dojo a technique? Is being aware of how the full versus empty shopping cart affects your center at the grocery store a technique?

It seems to me, that "technique" is not only being able to perform perfect Ryotetori techniques, but observations from those things we learn on the mat in every day life.

Be safe and Be well,
Chris

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------
Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #35
dps

Quote:
Chris Lacey wrote: View Post
hmmmm....

So are you referring to, spiritual and physical? I think that many people get hung up on the word "technique." Is calming your mind before a class a technique? Is understanding the subtlety of the group dynamic of your dojo a technique? Is being aware of how the full versus empty shopping cart affects your center at the grocery store a technique?

It seems to me, that "technique" is not only being able to perform perfect Ryotetori techniques, but observations from those things we learn on the mat in every day life.

Be safe and Be well,
Chris
As in Ikkyo, Nikyo, Sankyo,(Aikikai) Shomenate, Aigamae Ate, Gedan Ate.(Shodokan).

David
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #36
Chris Lacey

United_States

Quote:
As in Ikkyo, Nikyo, Sankyo,(Aikikai) Shomenate, Aigamae Ate, Gedan Ate.(Shodokan).

David
Ahh I see. Then I would have to say, up to this point, that I feel that I am. I attend at least 3 times a week for 2 hours per session. I feel that I am getting a lot out of my training. In addition, specific days are reserved for weapons class, so I am receiving exposure to that aspect as well.

Not to mention that we have students and instructors from other Aikido dojos visit ours. Which gives us the opportunity to be exposed to different styles. I will be attending my first seminar in May, which will give me more exposure.

Since I just took my 7th kyu test, perhaps my definition of a complete system is not what you had in mind. But from what I have observed thus far, I am confidant that I will be progressing with the techniques (and variants) that I have learned while moving forward to new teachings.

That being said, is this what you are eluding to?

Be safe and Be well,
Chris

--------
--------
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #37
Kaze0180
Dojo: Houston Aikido
United_States

The world does not NEED aikido to get his point, if that's what your asking. Peace/Harmony/Heaven on earth can be realized through Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Shodo, being raised in a loving environment, your own personal epiphany, etc. We choose to follow the way of harmony because WE choose it, not because we NEED it.

We study the way of harmony through physical practice and make body and mind align with this concept. I say it's the "practice what you preach" martial art. We don't just speak of peace, we enact peace! That's why I don't like putting in violent moves or thoughts into me or my students. It's against my beliefs as an Aikidoka and as a Christian, both of which align with each other. Jesus Christ talked about building heaven on earth long before Osensei was alive. And that is why I practice Aikido, to build heaven on earth.

-Alexander

Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #38
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Mine is mixed Aikido

KamiKaze
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #39
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Alexander Silva wrote: View Post
The world does not NEED aikido to get his point, if that's what your asking. Peace/Harmony/Heaven on earth can be realized through Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Shodo, being raised in a loving environment, your own personal epiphany, etc. We choose to follow the way of harmony because WE choose it, not because we NEED it.
I'd also add to that that most aikido sensei, like most teachers of martial arts, are not students or followers of esoteric practices, much less qualified to teach them. The peace/harmony/spiritual whatsis is a key element in the marketing of martial arts; the reality is a bit different from what people imagine from the outside. In reality, very few sensei will teach any of this (appropriately so). OTOH, I'm of the belief that you can find some amazing stuff in the sincere and dedicated practice of just about anything. It's just that it comes from the inside, in response to the practice -- it isn't taught by the practice, but it's maybe brought out by the practice.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #40
dps

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
OTOH, I'm of the belief that you can find some amazing stuff in the sincere and dedicated practice of just about anything. It's just that it comes from the inside, in response to the practice -- it isn't taught by the practice, but it's maybe brought out by the practice.
Oh, I like that.

David
Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #41
Kevin Leavitt

Germany

I don't think it is possible to teach peace directly. If that were the case, we'd have Peace and Harmony 101 being offered in schools with textbooks covering the subject and multiple question test.

Peace and harmony are endstates from choices we make mentally and spiritually.

To understand these things, I think it requires that you understand yourself since that is really all you can influence directly anyway! It is not something you can force upon others!

As Ghandi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Anyway, practices such as aikido are necessary, I think to allow us to better understand the realm of peace and harmony.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #42
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote: View Post
Mine is mixed Aikido
What? Why?

Please read my PM to you.

Regards

David
Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #43
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
What? Why?

Please read my PM to you.

Regards

David
I have practice another Aikido beside Aikikai Aikido, i realize you know that

KamiKaze

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com