Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2002, 07:49 PM   #26
Jenesis
Well, I was sort of dragged to class by my sensei when I accompained my friend to watch the class. When we asked for permission to view the lesson, my sensei was going, " Watch? Why watch when you can join?" He threw us two sets of gi and sent us to the changing room.

Why do I still continue? It beats me too, I just find that I can't stop, that's all!
Old 04-30-2002, 05:23 PM   #27
particleman151
Dojo: YMCA Akido/ Appleton, WI
Hello every one.

First off im pretty new to Aikido but i love if very very much. The thing that got me into Aikido was a comic i read called Lone Wolf and Cub. This comic is a pretty old one from japan that tells the story of a Samuri that lived during the Tokugawa peroid (i dont know if thats the right spelling). Well this got me intrested the Japanese culture and so on. I first wanted to do Ju-Jitsu but upon further research i found out that Aikido was the one for me.

A true warrior uses the greatest weapon... The art of Peace.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:43 AM   #28
gadsmf@aol.com
Dojo: Kokoro,Tucson
Thumbs down

Why do i do Aikido? Because it's enormously cool.

DL Gadd
Old 05-01-2002, 10:37 AM   #29
Sylvayikum
Dojo: Ottawa aikido circle
Re: Why Aikido?

I've choosed aikido because it's a art which help human to stay in the middle of the life, in balance with it. Aikido help me to be in harmonie with the nature, and it's very interresting to see and... to do.

Old 05-02-2002, 05:19 PM   #30
jeda
Being of small size, it is invigorating to make a man twice my size fly through the air. Not to mention the satisfaction of understanding something new. I was hooked from day one.

and the free candy factored into my love too.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:54 AM   #31
Raymond
Re: Best thing for me

Hi Brian, I'm a formerly with the PD (10 years patrol and investigations). I have visited your dojo on one occasion within the past 2-3 months. I am trying to decide between Hapkido and Aikido. The traditional Hapkido dojangs I have visited seem to be a lot more demanding as far as physical fitness goes. I would love to hear from you regarding a.) What you think about Jim's style of Aikido for self-defense and b.) How long you have been attending that particular dogo and what you think about it as far as long term commitment/advancement. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks!
I'm a policeman. I took karate in college and enjoyed it. I got in great shape and was limber as hell. However, my work schedule changed, then I moved and had to stop. Then I got the police job and was on night shift for five years and had an opportunity to study anything. When I was transffered to day shift my wife found me under foot to much and suggested I take up Aikido (a friend of hers was studying it). It had been in the back of my mind awhile, so five minutes later I was watching a class and joining a dojo.

For a cop, karate is problematic. Your Problem Solving Matrix is: 1) Observe problem. 2) Kick/punch problem VERY HARD AND FAST 3)Return to #1 Besides, it raises eyebrows when "problem" is lying on the ground moaning (cracked rib/black eye/knee cap in low earth orbit, etc.) and you are standing around with bruised knuckles, broken tooth stuck in elbow and the polish worn off your boot tip.

Aikido is MUCH better. Matrix is: 1) bad man (full of mal intent) attacks menacingly 2) You step aside and help bad man in failing to the ground 3) You pin/handcuff the bad man and enlighten him about his wicked ways.

Have to see if we have a "free candy" option at my dojo, they might be holding out on me.

Colleen, hope you slammed his balls in the door on your way out :0
[/quote]
Old 05-03-2002, 08:09 AM   #32
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
I find that in the aikido dojo I do more learning and less competing. Aikido is the most difficult martial art I have tried, because endurance is tough, but release is insanely difficult (for me anyway), and that's a good thing. Aikido lets me express myself in a martial way, and not hurt anyone (hopefully). And I think the final thing that has helped me appreciate aikido is that practiticng it freed me from the pressure to look like Bruce Lee. That may sound funny, but being a stand up fighter or wushu player can be like being a young girl looking at models in a magazine (you are surrounded by low body fat, well muscled, ironwilled men). Aikido helped me accept the "flaws" of my body, and see my true strength.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:08 AM   #33
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL
I spent a year in France in 1979, and I wanted to meet French people. There was an aikido dojo near where I was living....
I stopped after that year for a few years, but I have been in it continuously since 1984.

Since I have trained in kyokushin karate, I must say that I like the aikido attitude more; karate seemed to me to be more of a premptive mind set, without any gradations of force.

Why do I still do aikido? The people are usually great, and it is fun to roll around on the mat. I don't pay any attention to any of the philosophy. Aikido is doing.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:10 AM   #34
"Sara M"
IP Hash: b997243e
Anonymous User
I started aikido as a lost child; sad, lonely, dwelling in self pity and searching for the right direction. I had spent many a hour, late at night, staring through my bedroom window, wondering what it was I was so desperatly questing for. Turning my life over in my mind... the whole 14 yrs of it... I now reaise how much time ive wasted just walking around in some day dream, pursuing my unecessary deppression.

Then, through my dad... I discovered Ki Aikido. It has completely changed my veiw on life, and even though I haven't yet found 'it' I believe aikido has pointed me in the right direction. The fluidity and graceful movements capture me and now I am currently studying the art twice a week.

Since starting, I have been researching into all i can on the history and philosophy's behind the art.O'Sensei's life and his teachings... aikido is a masterpeice. it fascinates me and I hope I never have to stop training.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:22 AM   #35
Amendes
Why I joined.

I joined because I was looking for something to get into that would be interesting.

I had wanted to try Aikido for a long time but I never had the time or money. Then I lucked out being the summer I was not busy and I tryed out a free class.

After that I got adicted and I coulden't stop.
I still can't.

I stick around because all the people are great, everyones so friendly. And of course I have so much fun.

Also my Aikido has been making me feel like a better person after each class. I know I am very much better then when I joined.

I look at Aikdio as something importent on my path to spiritual enlightenment. <-- Oh Boy here we go with the deep stuff..

I can't imagine a life without Aikido.

Andrew
Old 05-05-2002, 12:24 AM   #36
Amendes
Talking Oh boy and one more thing!

:-) I Forgot one thing. :-)

Masters wife brought us back Vodka Chocolates from her trip to Russia.

So yes candy too is somehow related as a push factor.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:45 AM   #37
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
I started because of a passing suggestion made by my father out of the blue. It was something he had always wanted to do but never had. Never really had any interest in martial arts before....but nevertheless what he told me interested me (he didn't know much and it was kind of off the mark a bit) so I went along to a class.....

why am I still there now? I think it's cause I've discovered an art where it doesn't matter if you are lazy! That and all the growth of maturity and other cool things that come with training.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 05-06-2002, 10:44 AM   #38
Doug Pichen
Dojo: Tohkon Judo Academy
Why Aikido?

Why Aikido?

I was in Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years.

When I am 80 years old, and even with arthritis, I will still be able to do Joint manipulations and be able to direct my opponent's power.

I doubt that when I am 80 that I will be able to kick anyone, anymore.

http://www.daitoryuaikibudo.com/

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes