Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Xing

Australia
Healing?

Hi all, I'm still a beginner here, ~1 month of classes now.

The other day, Wednesday I believe, we were learning Yonkyo I believe? (the sword grip on the ulna nerve) and the next day my arms were quite amazing with multiple black and purple bruises (6 on the right and 3 on the left >_>), it didn't help that on Friday we did Sankyo? (Wrist grip, thumb on the pulse) which made the bruises even bigger xD.

I was wondering, is there an effective method of speeding up the bruising and healing process, or just enough to get rid of the colouring?

I ask this as I work in a sort of health profession (intern) and being summer I'll be wearing short sleeves, and I don't think it's appropriate to greet patients with severe bruises on my arm >_>

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Healing?

There are some herbal liniment (like Dit Da Jaw) that are useful. Ice often helps too.

IMHO, if you are bruised too much, ask your training partners to ease up until your arm is a bit more conditioned.

Most of us have gone through this.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I have never been bruised by greeps, nor seen any of my dojo mates in such a situation. Definitly not after practicing these techniques.

I suggest you make sure it is not indicative of some medical problem you may have (blood clotting ???). Ask your dojo mates if others have a similar situation and if not, go and see a doctor.

Amir
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Some people are more prone to bruising than others, but if you were such a person, I suspect you would have already been aware of it. However, you cannot "train yourself" to bruise less, so I would consult your doctor if you think it is excessive.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

If you make a strong tea of Arnica flowers. Do not drink the tea, but soak a cloth with it and place it on the affected area. It (in my experience) has cut down the healing/disappearing time of bruises by 1/2. You can find it at some health food markets and almost any botanica (essentially a Santaria shop).
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Stephen Webb
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
I have never been bruised by greeps, nor seen any of my dojo mates in such a situation. Definitly not after practicing these techniques.

I suggest you make sure it is not indicative of some medical problem you may have (blood clotting ???). Ask your dojo mates if others have a similar situation and if not, go and see a doctor.

Amir
I don't know about others, but yonkyo practice usually lasts about fifteen minutes and concludes with my having giant thumb-shaped bruises on both my forearms.

Sankyo, though, I've never been bruised from. Perhaps it's a different way of doing sankyo?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Xing

Australia

When I first started, the second lesson happened to be Yonkyo >_> but my arms were only feeling a bit sore/raw.

The bruises are a first >_>.

But I think I can try the Metal Hit Alcohol although it smells >_> (I pronounce it as Tit Da Jow, or something along the lines of it, my dad makes his own >_>).

Thanks all.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
CarrieP

United_States

Can't go wrong with RICE.

Not the starch, but Rest Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

I like Arnica in the spray version. Works pretty well. Also if you take Bromelain (pineapple extract) on an empty stomach it helps heal bruises faster.

Faeth
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Most studies on the effectiveness of topicals suggest that it is the massaging/application process that provides the majority of the benefit. Moisturizer works as well as dit da jow...except for the warm feeling on the outer dermis which is superficial but always makes me feel like it's working.

You can do a killer yonkyo without leaving an aweful bruise.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

Lyle, I think there's also something to the fact that a lot of topicals contain irritants. This increases circulation to the injured area, and that certainly does help in healing.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
cserrit

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego
United_States

When I use to wrestle and lost the 10-15 lbs that came with the training, I would bruise like a ripe peach...I read somewhere that potassium would help take care of the bruises...ate some bananas and took potassium supplements the problem became minimal.

Today, I don't bruise easily (takes a brute with a he-man grip to usually make anything show up).

Just my 2

-C
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

If you bruise easily, you might want to find out why. I have used kinesiotaping to remove large bruises rapidly. It has to be taped in a certain way but I have seen bruises resolve on an older lady within a week and her whole arm was black. I was actually quite suprised how well it worked. Dit da jow is also used by some to remove the bruising. Also, you might ask your partners to lighten up a bit.

If you are taking any blood thinning agents like aspirin that can cause easy bruising as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I haven't had a lot of luck with other topical stuff but arnica does seem to help my bruises disappear more quickly.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #15
boyana
United_States

At one stage in my life I had some problems.
I remember a lots of brusing at the time.
Since then,never again.Could be in my case problems?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Boyana Stone Levy wrote: View Post
At one stage in my life I had some problems.
I remember a lots of brusing at the time.
Since then,never again.Could be in my case problems?
Possibly at that time. If it doesn't happen any more, I wouldn't let it worry you.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.