Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #201
Alfonso
Re: Chinkon Kishin

IIRC , this was an interesting read regarding CK and timing of introudction into Omoto / Ueshiba, and mentioned that Omoto followers stopped practicing..

Quote:
That's why Onisaburo eventually prohibited it.
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=256

Interesting timing anyway.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #202
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I should have mentioned that the statue with the mouth open is the exhale/release/unwind of "A" ("Ha" for the Chinese) and the one with the closed mouth is "Un" ("Heng" for the Chinese), which is the inhale/store/wind-up. This is still part of the core "breath power" conditioning of the body.
Hmmmmmm..... wouldn't that be the same as "Ko-Kyu"?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #203
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Replying to your own posts Mike? If you start disagreeing with yourself I'm calling your doctor...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #204
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Take a look at the Kongourikishi statues (the A-Un gods, aka "Buddha's Warrior Attendants"). These are the Yin-Yang powers that appear to have originated in India, but were commonly seen in China and Japan, too:

http://www.koumatsuba.zansu.com/kongourikishi_as2.JPG
http://www.sendai-biyori.com/news/im...0722083747.jpg

"A" and "Un", like in "Aunkai".
Since this thread is related to Shinto one should might also mention Koma Inu and Kara Shishi.

(BTW Mike those Kongo Rikishi sure are buff . . . Are you sure they don't lift weights? Come on! They must be working out with a heavy duty kuwa or SOMETHING!)

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #205
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Since this thread is related to Shinto one should might also mention Koma Inu and Kara Shishi.

(BTW Mike those Kongo Rikishi sure are buff . . . Are you sure they don't lift weights? Come on! They must be working out with a heavy duty kuwa or SOMETHING!)
But they're buff in a proper way! Not body-builder buff, if you'll notice.

Speaking of buff. There was a portrait done of O-Sensei as a Kami and in the painting he is shown with a large and developed belly... the sort of development that comes from someone developing their hara strength, not the beer-belly kind. A lot of Buddha statues show the same thing and many people think it's supposed to be a fat belly, but it's not supposed to be that at all (or wasn't, back in the old days). I've often thought about the warrior kind of buff, like in the kongourishiki, as opposed to the Buddha-buff (which made its way into Shinto things, as so many things from Buddhism did).

FWIW

Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #206
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

BTW - Those are my favorite pair of Kongo Rikishi. I think they belong to the Kofukuji in Nara.

[edit] I just noticed the kanji for rikishi -- 力士 -- pretty cool.

Last edited by Walker : 02-05-2008 at 10:02 PM.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #207
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
BTW - Those are my favorite pair of Kongo Rikishi. I think they belong to the Kofukuji in Nara.

Yeah. They are a pretty cool dynamic duo: Ungyo and Agyo (Ah and Hum). Their names are filled with implication upon implication in Mikkyo. They are manifestations of Dainichi Nyorai (of course).

I also like the the Kongo part of their names which implies an adamantine/diamond like nature that represents absolute wisdom, which is balanced by a lotus like compassion.

So, once again one has the Go/Ju, thing.

These are all manifestations of Dainichi Nyorai or Ame no Minakanushi no O-Kami depending upon your respective orientation.

One implies the other and if you want to have a balanced whole you have to have both . . . etc, etc.

OK, time to walk my koma-inu, he needs to go "shi shi." "Wu Wei! Don't step in that dog's Peng Path!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #208
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:

Heh, yeah, its no coincidence that Sumo guys are technicially known as, dum dum duuuum, "rikishi."
Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #209
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Yeah. They are a pretty cool dynamic duo: Ungyo and Agyo (Ah and Hum). Their names are filled with implication upon implication in Mikkyo. They are manifestations of Dainichi Nyorai (of course).

I also like the the Kongo part of their names which implies an adamantine/diamond like nature that represents absolute wisdom, which is balanced by a lotus like compassion.

So, once again one has the Go/Ju, thing.
From my notes (I'm no expert, so I use notes):
"Kongourikishi" being the Japanese pronunciation for the Chinese characters "Jin Gang Li Shi". "Buddha's Warrior Attendants". Tantric Buddhism (Vajrayana Buddhism) is called Jin Gang Sheng in Chinese. "Jin Gang" (Vajra) is the so-called "third major vehicle" ("vehicle"='yana') of Buddhism. Yada, yada. But the point is that Vajrayana is supposed to be an extension of Mahayana Buddhism consisting not necessarily of philosophical differences, but of the adoption of additional techniques...."upaya".... or skilful means. I wonder what the extent of those skilfull means is? Undoubtedly this brings us back to Chinkon Kishin.

Incidentally, the reference to the Jin Gang is found in a few Chinese martial arts. One posture of Chen's taiji is "Jin Gang Dao Dui", "Buddha's warrior attendant pounds mortar" (the massive foot stomp that occurs a number of times in the old frame, etc.).

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #210
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
From my notes (I'm no expert, so I use notes):
"Kongourikishi" being the Japanese pronunciation for the Chinese characters "Jin Gang Li Shi". "Buddha's Warrior Attendants".
I'm no expert either and I was too lazy to use notes but I do deal with some regularity . . .

FWIW Kongou = 金剛 [こんごう] (n) ( 1) vajra (indestructible substance) diamond adamantine (2) thunderbolt Indra's weapon Buddhist symbol of the indestructible truth

and just for kicks

Kongouriki = 金剛力 [こんごうりき] (n) superhuman (Herculean) strength

shi = 士 (士) シ, N: お, ま, N: さむらい gentleman, samurai

I'd have to see the characters for Jin Gang Li Shi but if they are the same as the above "Buddha's warrior attendants" is more of a loose description than a translation.

Quote:
Tantric Buddhism (Vajrayana Buddhism) is called Jin Gang Sheng in Chinese. "Jin Gang" (Vajra) is the so-called "third major vehicle" ("vehicle"='yana') of Buddhism. Yada, yada.
My understanding is that due to the fact that Mikkyo came to Japan before "Vajrayana" was a commonly used appellation. Mikkyo is still conventionally considered a part of Mahayana and when referred to exclusively (in Japan) it is usually known as Mikkyo rather than "Vajrayana" the latter usually being a referent for Tibetan Buddhism. I'm not looking at my notes or books again though! (BTW, as was typical of the time, when Kukai "introduced" Mikkyo to Japan he clearly delineated how it was superior to all other schools. As I said, this approach was typical though.)

Quote:
But the point is that Vajrayana is supposed to be an extension of Mahayana Buddhism consisting not necessarily of philosophical differences, but of the adoption of additional techniques...."upaya".... or skilful means. I wonder what the extent of those skilfull means is? Undoubtedly this brings us back to Chinkon Kishin.
Upaya (skillful means or expedient means) is basically doing what it takes to lead one to awakening. A famous example is the father (Buddha or Bodhisattva) offering his children (Suffering Beings) toys he doesn't have in order to get them to escape a burning house (The World of Suffering.) Upaya have historically included medical/psychological practices (enter qigong/chinkon kishin) attract practitioners and remove obstacles of practice (poor mental/physical health, danger, etc.)

Quote:
Incidentally, the reference to the Jin Gang is found in a few Chinese martial arts. One posture of Chen's taiji is "Jin Gang Dao Dui", "Buddha's warrior attendant pounds mortar" (the massive foot stomp that occurs a number of times in the old frame, etc.).
Cool! I bet you didn't look in your notes for THAT info!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #211
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
I'm no expert either and I was too lazy to use notes but I do deal with some regularity . . .

FWIW Kongou = 金剛 [こんごう] (n) ( 1) vajra (indestructible substance) diamond adamantine (2) thunderbolt Indra's weapon Buddhist symbol of the indestructible truth

and just for kicks

Kongouriki = 金剛力 [こんごうりき] (n) superhuman (Herculean) strength

shi = 士 (士) シ, N: お, ま, N: さむらい gentleman, samurai

I'd have to see the characters for Jin Gang Li Shi but if they are the same as the above "Buddha's warrior attendants" is more of a loose description than a translation.
Good point. However, I suspect that the gentlemen in question were once considered "Buddha's Warrior Attendants" in actuality. [/quote]Upaya (skillful means or expedient means) is basically doing what it takes to lead one to awakening. A famous example is the father (Buddha or Bodhisattva) offering his children (Suffering Beings) toys he doesn't have in order to get them to escape a burning house (The World of Suffering.) Upaya have historically included medical/psychological practices (enter qigong/chinkon kishin) attract practitioners and remove obstacles of practice (poor mental/physical health, danger, etc.)[/quote]I think that you're going to find that the basic practices for "awakening" and "enlightenment" will cut across the various religions of Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism and will contain the core skills of the body we're talking about with the ki things (not necessarily the kokyu ones). Essentially, the idea of moving the jing to the shen is there in all of them.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #212
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
I suspect that the gentlemen in question were once considered "Buddha's Warrior Attendants" in actuality.
Well, that is interesting, and cool, and not terribly surprising I suppose, if it is indeed true. Where do you find this referenced?

Quote:
I think that you're going to find that the basic practices for "awakening" and "enlightenment" will cut across the various religions of Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism and will contain the core skills of the body we're talking about with the ki things (not necessarily the kokyu ones). Essentially, the idea of moving the jing to the shen is there in all of them.
Certainly this should be true especially when one considers a) Buddhism, Shinto, and Taoism coexisted and intermingled for millennia (along with other practices as well) before being artificially separated into supposedly pure/distinct entities by the Meiji Government; and b) "real" results should be independently reproducible given that the pertinent conditions are met for that reproduction of results to occur.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #213
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
. . . and will contain the core skills of the body we're talking about with the ki things (not necessarily the kokyu ones). Essentially, the idea of moving the jing to the shen is there in all of them.
I suppose that it should be mentioned that, while it might be argued that this SHOULD be the case universally, experience points to the fact that this isn't necessarily the case. (There are plenty of beautiful empty gourds out there.) And while kokyu skills aren't NECESSARILY a required aspect of this pursuit, as you have pointed out, historically kokyu skills HAVE been part of this pursuit in many traditions.

The punch line is: Just because practices (Ki and/or Kokyu) and results SHOULD be there or HAVE been there doesn't necessarily guarantee that they ARE there now.

Real results are demonstrable.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #214
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Well, that is interesting, and cool, and not terribly surprising I suppose, if it is indeed true. Where do you find this referenced?
There are a number of references in Chinese martial arts to the (martial) references for "Jin Gang", as I said. Here's an instructional film, and I spotted a few more by Googling "Jin Gang" + "Buddha". Some of them just say "Buddha disciple", so that might be something else to look for:
http://www.cgcmall.com/Jin_Gang_Quan_p/vc00shaolj.htm
Quote:
Certainly this should be true especially when one considers a) Buddhism, Shinto, and Taoism coexisted and intermingled for millennia (along with other practices as well) before being artificially separated into supposedly pure/distinct entities by the Meiji Government; and b) "real" results should be independently reproducible given that the pertinent conditions are met for that reproduction of results to occur.
I agree. My point is that these esoteric "skills" which a lot of people are even questioning the validity of, are actually core to a *large* part of Asia's ancient culture. Much more so than just the superficial meeting in Chinkon Kishin. This is or was pretty big stuff. All those ancient pictures of "meditation", the Daoyin exercise paintings, the Yellow Emperor Classics, Confucian edicts, Taoist longevity and martial skills, acupuncture theory, the mythical (often absurdly so) great powers in kung-fu flicks, Shaolin warriors, etc., etc... all these things revolve around the same core concepts, the ones also in Chinkon Kishin.

FWIW

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #215
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
There are a number of references in Chinese martial arts to the (martial) references for "Jin Gang", as I said. Here's an instructional film, and I spotted a few more by Googling "Jin Gang" + "Buddha". Some of them just say "Buddha disciple", so that might be something else to look for:
http://www.cgcmall.com/Jin_Gang_Quan_p/vc00shaolj.htm
Ah. Perhaps I misunderstood you. I thought that you were saying that you had evidence that there were two really strong M.A. dudes that protected the historical Buddha "back in the day."

Quote:
I agree. My point is that these esoteric "skills" which a lot of people are even questioning the validity of, are actually core to a *large* part of Asia's ancient culture. Much more so than just the superficial meeting in Chinkon Kishin. This is or was pretty big stuff. All those ancient pictures of "meditation", the Daoyin exercise paintings, the Yellow Emperor Classics, Confucian edicts, Taoist longevity and martial skills, acupuncture theory, the mythical (often absurdly so) great powers in kung-fu flicks, Shaolin warriors, etc., etc... all these things revolve around the same core concepts, the ones also in Chinkon Kishin.
Well then we both agree. Our primary difference (I assume not having felt you ) is the degree to which we can demonstrate our understanding.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #216
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Ah. Perhaps I misunderstood you. I thought that you were saying that you had evidence that there were two really strong M.A. dudes that protected the historical Buddha "back in the day."
No, I just meant that despite the literal translation of kongourishiki, the idiomatic usage points to some legend. Sort of like "Dapeng" refers to a mythical bird that protected Buddha, regardless of its literal translation.

Best.

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #217
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
No, I just meant that despite the literal translation of kongourishiki, the idiomatic usage points to some legend. Sort of like "Dapeng" refers to a mythical bird that protected Buddha, regardless of its literal translation.

Best.

Mike
Oh darn! That would have SO played into my Budo/Buddhist fantasies!

(To my students and friends: NO! Not THOSE kind of fantasies! Sheesh!! )

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #218
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

LOL...you guys rock!

Thanks for the great discussion!

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #219
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

Quote:
Oh darn! That would have SO played into my Budo/Buddhist fantasies!

(To my students and friends: NO! Not THOSE kind of fantasies! Sheesh!! )
Uh-huh, sure Al.......

Last edited by TomW : 02-06-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #220
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

So Al, if you meet the Buddha on the road, what exactly do you want to do to him?

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #221
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
So Al, if you meet the Buddha on the road, what exactly do you want to do to him?
I hope he doesn't tell him "it has to be felt"!!!!

Reminds me of the qigong where weights are hung from the genitals (there is actually a sound "internal strength" reason for doing this, but I'm not a practitioner). I was talking to one guy who did this and suddenly he blurted out, "Do you want to feel my balls?". I demurred with a "some other time, thanks".

Another fairly well-known guy I ran into in a hotel bar while I was waiting for the rest of my group to meet in the lobby. This guy had had a few scotches and it was the first time I'd met him, though we were both familiar with who the other one was. He shook my hand beaming at me and said, "You know I hang weights from my balls?". All I could think of to say was, "How nice for you!".

Gosh knows what Allen would say to the Buddha, but I'm apprehensive that it might be somewhat along the above lines.

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #222
Allen Beebe
United_States

Finally, and at long last, public acknowledgment that I am well hung!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #223
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Re: CHINKON KISHIN / CHINKON GYO-HO and CHINKON- SAHO and information of Shrine/Aikido Intern Program Opening

Chinkon is the "active Shinto Meditation" capable of healing the disconnect between mind/ body / spirit and self and nature......the true meaning of Chinkon (Kanji is same as Mitama Shizume—to quiet/pacify [reintegrate] restless soul) is to tune ourselves as living Himorogi (antennae for divine/kami Ki) so we can come closer to receive the "heartbeat and breath" of Okami.

Chinkon saho (movement) contains furitama (lit: soul shaking) which is from Jumbi Taiso (preparatory exercise ) of Misogi Shu-ho (purification in moving water) and along with Ame-noTorifune no Gyo and Ibuki-Undo common in Aikido Jumbi Taiso.

Here at Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America we practice formal Chinkon-Gyo-Ho regularly …(Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Japan and US enshrines SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI Aikido's Ancestor Kami and AMENOUZUMENOMIKOTO who is Kami of Chinkon).

Although we practice the complete formal Chinkon Gyoho regularly we alo practice a shortened form as Yuuhai (evening ceremony) at the close of Aikido Keiko….. here are some notes of Ryaku (shortened) Chinkon practice…anyone interested in the more complete form please contact the Jinja…

RYAKU CHINKON GYOHO
Short Chinkon practice (done before Kamiza or Yorishiro [temporary resting place of Okami- picture of O'Sensei etc] or outside focus on sun , mountain etc)

Shin yu (= 45 degree bow , duration 2 seconds) then furitama while saying very softly:SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI, SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI, SARUTAHIKONOOKAMI

Nirei (2 bows—deep 90 degree bow-duration 3 seconds)

MISOGI-NO-OHARAI-NO-KOTOBA

TAKAMA-NO-HARA NI KAMUZUMARIMASU*
*when recited in a group this line is read only by the saishyu, the leader of the ritual

KAMUROGI KAMUROMI NO MIKOTO MOCHITE
SUME MI OYA KAMU IZANAGI NO MIKOTO

TSUKUSHI NO HIMUKA NO TACHIBANA NO ODO NO AHAGIHARA NI

MISOGI HARAE TAMAISHI TOKI NI ARE MASERU
HARAEDO NO O KAMITACHI

MOROMORO NO MAGAGOTO TSUMI KEGARE O
HARAI TAMAE KIYOME TAMAE TO

MOSU KOTO NO YOSHI O
AMATSU KAMI KUNITSU KAMI

YAOYOROZU NO KAMITACHI TOMO NI
KIKOSHIMESE TO
KASHIKOMI KASHIKOMI MO MAOSU

Translation of MISOGI-NO-O-HARAI:

Upon the will of the Great Spirit, by which the Universe is initiated in the cosmic force of creation by the Kamis (Divine Spirit) of birth and growth, and through which the solar system is united in the force of harmony by the Kamis of Yin and Yang, the Kamis of purification came to exist from the impurities which Izanagi-no-Mikoto (Divine creator of the solar system) cleansed from his body in the divine river of heaven.
We will be able to recognize (see) the Kami (truth), only after we purify ourselves of all negativity, impurities, faults and restore ourselves to what we are meant to be (natural brightness).

HI-FU-MI-NORITO (please pray slowly, 1, 3 or 5 times)

HI-FU-MI-YO-I-MU-NA-YA-KO-TO-MO-CHI-RO-RA-NE-SHI-KI-RU-YU-I-TSU-WA-NU-SO-O-TA-HA-KU-ME-KA-U-O-E-NI-SA-RI-HE-TE-NO-MA-SU-A-SE-HE-HO-RE-KE

HI FU MI YO I MU NA YA KO TO

I = 2nd I from Mi-itsu (virtue when referring to absolute). Added to the worlds vital forces it is divine will and action of that will. Kojiki: emergence of Sangen-no-Hosoku/ 3 element rule

MU= from Musubi. Also in kokemusu, meaning moss-that which grows from the earth, linking with natural force..Kojiki: cosolidation of Kunitsu Kami

NA = from Naru (to become) and Naosu (to do) implies both

YA = related to Ya Masu Masu (more and more) indicates development Kojiki: Na and Ya and aspects of growth in the world Ototama = flying power

KO = last syllable of Myako (to congeal, centripetalize, solidify form a block) Kojiki: unification of the powers of heaven and earth

TO = as in togeru (to accomplish) Tomaru (to stop) completion connecting vertical and horizontal musubi.. Kojiki: accomplished Universe

MO CHI RO air gas ether
RA NE SHI KI gathering prayer
RU YU ITSU HA NU SO Musubi (generative combining life giving forces)
O TA HA KU U O EE NI Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto
SA RE HE TO the large sound of KI returning to source
NO MA SU Naoru (to pray w/ respect)
A SE HE HO RE KE.......... Shinjin Goitsu (spriritual coalescence)

that information is from my note taken when I 1st learned the Chinkon method from Rev Kawashima Toshitaka who is a very Senior Priest of Tsubaki Grand Shrine and also Guji of his own shrine.

the furube-no-kamu-waza of Chinkon practice is meant to activate the energy body and also tie the golden thread ..maybe best way to think about it is activate (raise the vibrational level) and tune the body to be sensitive to Okami's heartbeat and breath. The 2nd set of movements is higher (more refined) frequency...the 1 st set stirs up the body and reorganizes, the 2nd set if communication with Kami

MIKUSA NO O HARAE (please pray slowly, 1, 3 or 5 times)

TOUKAMI
EMI TAME
KAN-GON-SHIN-SON-RI-KON-DA-KEN
HARAE TAMAE KIYOME DE TAMAOU

Switch to anza (sit with soles of feet touching each other and hands together)

FURUBE-NO-KAMU-WAZA

In with index finger extended…vertical movement between height of hara and eyebrow while saying HI-FU-MI-YO-I-MU-NA-YA-KO-TO 10 times

IBUKI UNDO (deep breathing to hara—in through nose out through mouth)
re: Breathing direction...

for men: on inhalation please spiral the breath in a downward leftward spiral from heaven to earth (Kamuromi- heaven's descending KI) and on exhalation please spiral in a rightward ascending manner (Kamurogi- earths ascending KI)

for women: on inhalation please spiral the breath in an ascending rightward spiral from earth to heaven (Kamurogi-earths ascending KI) and on exhalation please entrain with the descending leftward spiral (Kamuromi- heavens descending KI)

re: Breath..the O-HARAHI-NO-KOTOBA (Great words of purification) teach us that "Life is full of energy and cheerfullness and is filled w/ living KI..." Breath connect human beings to Uchiki and Sotoki.........to breath in and out is evidence of life...breathing is a simple thing for the living, yet so important as it decides on the fate of the living. A child grows to be a healthy adult by breathing..this is kiketsu. Not only physical growth is facilitated be breath but spiritual growth as well--this is called shouketsu. The circulation of the atmosphere and the Kiketsu/shouketsu of sotoki and uchiki in the Universe make the Breath of life.

Return to seiza

RYAKU NIPPAISHI

Sarutahiko no Ō Kami shines up to the Expanse of High Heaven,
Casting illumination across the great Earthly realm of the Ancient Land.
Kami wa Takama no Hara o terashi
Shimo wa Ashihara no Nakatsu Kuni o
Kagayakashi tamō

Divine winds envelop Tsubaki Grand Shrine, the first shrine of Ise,
Where dwells the great, bright deity Sarutahiko no Ō Kami.
Kamikaze no Ise no kuni ichi no miya
Tsubaki Dai Myo Jin Sarutahiko no Ō Kami

Sweep the impurities from my being and purify my spirit;
Grant me protection; grant me happiness;
Restore brightness to my soul and give me guidance.
Harae tamae kiyome tamae mamori tamae
Sakiwae tamae terashi tamae michibiki tamae

Each day and each night,
Grant me good health and spiritual renewal;
Humbly, reverently, I speak these words.
Sugasugashiku sukoyaka ni higoto yogoto o
Arashime tamae to
Kashikomi kashikomi mo maosu

NI REI NI HAKKUSHI IPPAI (please bow 2 times, clap 2 times, bow 1 time)

SHRINE/AIKIDO INTERN POSITION AT
TSUBAKI GRAND SHRINE OF AMERICA

Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America is accepting applications for the SHINTO/AIKIDO INTERN. This full time position can be approached as a 3 month to 2 year commitment. The position includes all training, private quarters in shrine guest house and a stipend. Please contact Rev. Barrish (Shrine Priest)

Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
17720 Crooked Mile
Granite Falls, WA 98252
USA
www.TsubakiShrine.org
Kannushi@TsubakiShrine.org
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tsubakiko
(360) 691-6389
Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #224
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
MU= from Musubi. Also in kokemusu, meaning moss-that which grows from the earth, linking with natural force..Kojiki: cosolidation of Kunitsu Kami

NA = from Naru (to become) and Naosu (to do) implies both

YA = related to Ya Masu Masu (more and more) indicates development Kojiki: Na and Ya and aspects of growth in the world Ototama = flying power

KO = last syllable of Myako (to congeal, centripetalize, solidify form a block) Kojiki: unification of the powers of heaven and earth

TO = as in togeru (to accomplish) Tomaru (to stop) completion connecting vertical and horizontal musubi.. Kojiki: accomplished Universe
Wonderful! I just tried them and they're a sequential exercise. Very clever. Many thanks.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #225
aikilouis
France

Hikitsuchi Sensei performing Norito in opening of Paris seminar, 1995 :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=D__Y8-d_1b0

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!