Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
One fine day at the Shindai Dojo

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I just wanted to share it with you.

This Saturday past was one of the finest and enjoyable days of budo I have experienced in years. We had our dojo Kagami Baraki and it was an all day event going on into the evening. The Shindai Dojo is an Aikido dojo of course but we also serve as a budokan. We have been lucky enough to associate ourselves with some very fine instructors from MJERI, Judo, Karate, Kendo, Toyama Ryu and Batto Do. Our venue is big enough to have two sessions going at once with 1100 sq. ft. wood training surface that can be fully matted or all wood. In its standard format it is half matted and half wood which allows for two sessions to go on at the same time.

On Saturday we started at 11:30 a.m. with a meeting of all the instructors to set the main agenda for the coming year. We then started the celebration with MJERI (our own Gil G. Sensei teaching), followed by Kendo and then Judo. After a short brake we did Karate followed by Aikido and then Toyama Ryo and Batto do. Each session had a short demo and then everyone was allowed to take a class. The dojo was packed with members and their families and the floor was jammed for each session. It was such fun watching people from the highest ranking to family members set egos aside and enjoy the experience of new things. A great deal of fun was had by all. I love children (even though I don't teach them) and I was overjoyed seeing so many children from the other classes there. They got to interact one on one with a variety of very high ranking instructors from several arts and see them look a little awkward trying new things and having such fun at doing it and I hope it buil!t lasting memories for them all.>> The last session was Toyama Ryu with Bob Elder Sensei and his top students. An awesome demo of cutting and kata and then Elder Sensei held and impromptu cutting torment for all the other instructors. Of course safety was of utmost concern. Watching the Judo, Kendo and Karate instructors cut for the first time in their lives and enjoy their successes and failures to the extent they did was great fun.>> One of the ladies in Toyama Ryu does face painting and that evening she did all the children. She was quite busy with all those kids. We had a feast with four long tables full of deep fried turkey, pulled pork, smoked ribs, ham, and smoked pork and a varity of other stuff. Oh we had some veggies for the none meet eaters, and a lot of beer and soda.>> What a great Day!!>

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: One fine day at the Shindai Dojo

Hooker Sensei,

Thank you very much for sharing that - it sounds like a wonderful day!!

Best,

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Sounds like mucho fun! Wish I coulda been there...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Thank you, Hooker Sensei. I had fun at your dojo during the Aikiweb seminar, and from the looks of things, the fun is rolling on. I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself. Take care.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
...and then Elder Sensei held and impromptu cutting torment for all the other instructors.
I know this is just a typo, but I had to chuckle for a moment as I wondered if your Freudian slip might be showing...

It's a great thing when MAers of different backgrounds get together to exchange ideas and experience training from the perspectives of others. Congratulations on a memorable event!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

I believe we all enjoy hearing of fun times in the Dojo when people come and share their martial arts knowledge and food! I'm sure that I would have had a great time!
Doc
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Smile Re: One fine day at the Shindai Dojo

hay that was some slip up on my part. I think it was fun rather than torment. However knowing Elder Sensei like I do that may have been his intent and I just picked up on it.

Besides torment or tournament what's the diff.

See ya Bateman

Hooker

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
I know this is just a typo, but I had to chuckle for a moment as I wondered if your Freudian slip might be showing...

It's a great thing when MAers of different backgrounds get together to exchange ideas and experience training from the perspectives of others. Congratulations on a memorable event!

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
hay that was some slip up on my part. I think it was fun rather than torment. However knowing Elder Sensei like I do that may have been his intent and I just picked up on it.

Besides torment or tournament what's the diff.

See ya Bateman

Hooker
Happy New Year my friend! What great event that must have been... sure wish your weren't so far away. I'm looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks though... we can hoist a brew together then.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
we can hoist a brew together then.
Biroonage! One of the secret techniques...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!